[Ohio-talk] Fwd: Re: [Parents of Blind Children of Ohio] Ohio BELL program just completed week one. I am...

purplecakers purplecakers at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 22 13:38:27 UTC 2013

Sharing.

-------- Original message --------
From: Shelley McCoy <notification+hvhz6lf1 at facebookmail.com>
Date: 07/20/2013  1:55 PM  (GMT-05:00)
To: Parents of Blind Children of Ohio <parentsofblind.children at groups.facebook.com>
Subject: Re: [Parents of Blind Children of Ohio] Ohio BELL program just completed week one.  I am...

Shelley McCoy commented on your post in Parents of Blind Children of Ohio.

Shelley McCoy	 1:55pm Jul 20
Beautifully expressed. ♥
Original Post

Carol Lewis Akers	12:35pm Jul 20
Ohio BELL program just completed week one. I am sure the kids are all tired, as are the adults, but it was well worth it! The program is truly making a lasting impression on everyone, from the students to the teachers and volunteers, to the parents. The parents are happy to hear the conversations on the way home and at the dinner table from their animated, excited kids. Everything from pouring water and beans with Ms Barbara to playing Braille Twister with Mr Eric, the King, practicing Braille with Ms Debra, Ms Channel, Ms Shelley, Ms Aliyah, Ms Katie and Ms Debbie and singing the Bell song and Braille Rap song to name just a few. What a hit the songs are, active singing and movement. Doing sound scavenger hunts to learn more about teamwork and listening skills and playing Goal ball with Mr Jim. So many activities and opportunities to learn Braille skills and independence skills. Some of the kids have had very limited Braille exposure and although frustrating, are finding that it is actually fun to learn. They are also learning more about themselves, their abilities to do things when challenged by another blind person and that saying I don't know how, is not a valid excuse. They are sharing their feelings about being blind, some of their concerns about losing more vision or not having vision at all and how they can see that it isn't so bad, since they have been learning new techniques to overcome those fears. It is also neat to see the quiet ones immerge from their shells and express themselves. All too often, they don't get the opportunity to be in charge of themselves, their choices or movement, because others with good intentions, do it for them and it is just easier to let it happen. But, it is nice to hear those quiet voices speak up and give their opinion, their comments or their own choices. Can't wait to see what Week 2 brings.

View Post on Facebook · Edit Email Settings · Reply to this email to add a comment.