[Ohio-talk] Buckeye Update

Eric Duffy eduffy at deltav.org
Fri Jun 14 15:01:36 UTC 2013

Buckeye Update, June 14, 2013
	Happy Flag Day. Even if you are not flying the flag take the time to
celebrate the many blessings and freedoms that we have as citizens of this
country. One such freedom that we must not take for granted is the right to
organize. This is a right that the blind of this country could not take for
granted in the 1960's. It is one that the agencies and those who opposed our
movement tried to strip from us, and it almost required an act of congress
to ensure that we  have the right to organize to change what it means to be
blind.
	Today we are fighting for equal treatment under the fair labor
standards act. We want to end the discriminatory, immoral, but currently
legal practice of employers paying the blind and other disabled workers
pennies per hour for their labor. Contact your member of Congress and ask
him or her to cosponsor H.R. 831 if he or she has not already done so.
	Also help us support veterans who have become disabled while in the
service of our country. There are only five  members of the Ohio
Congressional Delegation who are not cosponsors of H.R. 164. They are John
Boehner, Bob Gibbs, Jim Renacci, Michael Turner, and Brad Wenstrup. If you
are in any of these congressional districts call these offices. Urge these
members of congress to join 166 of their colleagues and cosponsor H.R. 164.
Let's show the world what we can do when we speak with one voice. Let's
demonstrate the power of the National Federation of the Blind. May we be
successful in all that we do to change what it means to be blind, and may
God bless America.
	This is a reminder that on Monday, June 17, at 7:30 P.M., we will
conduct a conference  call to review and discuss why we have two chapters in
the Cleveland area. At one time we had racially divided chapters in a number
of cities. That is not the case in Cleveland now, and it was not the case
when our Cuyahoga County Chapter was formed more than twenty years ago.

The National Federation of the Blind of Ohio exists to improve life for all
blind people in the state. We will not let racism, perceived or real, divide
us. If racial concerns exist within our organization, we must deal with them
wherever and whenever they occur.  But, let me say once again, the fact that
we have two chapters in the Cleveland area does not mean and has never meant
that these chapters are divided along racial lines. They are not! There is
no "black" or "white chapter." There are only NFB chapters. The Membership
Committee discussed this issue earlier this spring and asked the board to
consider the two-chapter issue and help determine whether or not changes
should be made.

At the very least we must find ways for these two chapters to work together
and make the message that they are doing so very clear. At the June 17
meeting we are not going to take a vote of any kind. However, this will be
an important discussion, and we want all members in the Cleveland area to be
a part of it. I urge every member in the greater Cleveland area to plan now
to call in to this important meeting. Spread the word to those who do not
receive this update so that they can call in as well. That evening I am
going to insist that everyone be courteous and that people speak only after
they have been acknowledged as seeking the floor. I will do my very best to
chair the discussion fairly and to allow all points of view to be heard and
not to let one view dominate the discussion.

On June 17, shortly before 7:30, call (605) 475-4875. When prompted, use
access code 201909 followed by the pound sign.
	Although I have not heard from her directly, I understand that
Cheryl Fischer is the newly elected president of the Cuyahoga county
chapter. I thank Annette Anderson for her service as chapter president. I
look forward to working with Cheryl.
	At the conclusion of the Capital Chapter meeting on June 22, members
will go to Applebee's for some fellowship and to raise some money for the
chapter through the dine to donate program offered by Applebee's. If you can
please join us for the meeting and the fun at Applebee's.
	Thirty-four individuals have preregistered for the National
Convention. I know others who have not preregistered will be there as well.
	The Ohio Caucus will be at a little different time this year. We
will meet on Thursday, July 4, at 8:15 AM. We will meet in Ceylon 17, for
one hour. I urge you to be on time, because we will begin promptly and make
the best use of our hour.
	If you want to sit with others from Ohio during the banquet please
get your banquet ticket to Crystal McClain as soon as possible. Crystal will
exchange tickets for Ohio again this year. The banquet ticket you receive at
the time of registration guarantees you a banquet meal. It does not
guarantee you a seat at a banquet table. You are only guaranteed a seat once
your banquet ticket has been exchanged. You have nothing to worry about if
you want to sit with Ohio members and if you get your banquet ticket to
Crystal as quickly as you can. Please put your name on the ticket in
Braille, print, or both. If for some reason you can not do this ask a friend
to put your name on the ticket. In any case please be sure that your name is
on the ticket and that Crystal has your ticket by the time the caucus ends
at the very latest.
	I hope your chapter or division has already made decisions to
contribute to the National organization. If you want to include your
contribution with that of the Ohio Affiliate, I hope you have already sent
your check to Sherry Ruth. If you have not put the check in the mail, please
do so immediately. I will voucher checks for the affiliate contributions
next week. Please make your check payable to the NFB of Ohio and indicate
how much you are contributing to each fund. Remember that the White Cane
Fund supports the general operations of the National Federation of the
Blind. The tenBroek Fund supports the maintenance of the National Center for
the Blind. SUN stands for Shares Unlimited in NFB. This is the rainy day
fund for the national organization. The Imagination Fund really helps to
build the programs that we want to have at the national level. If you write
checks directly to the various funds rather than to the NFB of Ohio,
remember that, contributions to the tenBroek Fund must be made out to the
tenBroek Fund or the Jacobus tenBroek Fund. Checks for all other funds
should be made out to the NFB with the name of the fund in the memo line.

 Finally, we have pledged to contribute a minimum of $200 for door prizes.
We would like chapters and divisions to offset that cost and add to it if at
all possible.
	It is time that you begin to finalize preconvention sales of iPad
tickets if you are not going to convention. Shelbi and I are leaving for
Florida early on July 27. I will check the Post Office Box on the 26. If you
want me to take ticket stubs to the convention to be included in the
drawing, that is the last day I can get them from our mailbox. I have not
heard any more about the Ruth family contest. I feel confident that Tony is
trouncing Tom.
	The BELL Program draws ever closer. Many of us are hard at work to
make sure that it will be successful. Whether you are helping with BELL,
making calls to congress, or doing other work in the National Federation of
the Blind of Ohio, keep up the good work. Get a friend, neighbor or family
member to help you. There is much to be done, and we must all find ways to
get it done. I am doing what I can, though I will endeavor  to do more. I am
counting on you to do the same.