[Ohio-talk] Buckeye Update

Eric Duffy eduffy at deltav.org
Wed Jun 26 19:56:36 UTC 2013

Buckeye Update, June 26, 2013

	This is an exciting time to be a part of the National Federation of
the Blind of Ohio. We are still getting calls about our Braille Enrichment
for Literacy and Learning, (BELL), program. Not only are we still getting
calls from parents, but we are getting a lot of support from other
organizations. Cynthia Johnson, superintendent of the Ohio State School for
the Blind has made it possible for some of our volunteers to stay on campus
for the two weeks of the program. She is also allowing us to use Perkins
Braillers.
	Kevin Miller and Mindy Duncan have agreed to give us the remaining
inventory from a BE. cafeteria that is closing. Both Kevin and Mindy were
pleased to do this in order to support our work and to make a contribution
toward a program that will teach blind children Braille and other blindness
skills.
	Carolyn Knight and the Ohio DD Counsel are supporting BELL with
$2,000. I am excited about the interest that families have in this program,
and I am pleased to have the support of DD Counsel, OSSB., and RSC.
	Tomorrow Shelbi and I will be in Florida. We are excited about the
trip and the convention.
	Should you need to reach me for any reason, don't hesitate to call,
text, or email. Even during the convention the best way to reach me will be
to contact my cell phone. I am not one to pay much attention to the hotel
room phone. It is natural for most people to pick up the hotel phone and
call the person one wants to reach. But I assure you that is not the best
way to reach me by any means. Please use my cell phone number. It is (614)
377-9877.
	This is a reminder that the Ohio delegation will Caucus on Thursday,
July 4, at 8:15 AM. We will meet in Ceylon 17, for one hour. I urge you to
be on time, because we will begin promptly and make the best use of our
hour.
	If you want to sit with others from Ohio during the banquet please
get your banquet ticket to Crystal McClain as soon as possible. Crystal will
exchange tickets for Ohio again this year. The banquet ticket you receive at
the time of registration guarantees you a banquet meal. It does not
guarantee you a seat at a banquet table. You are only guaranteed a seat once
your banquet ticket has been exchanged. You have nothing to worry about if
you want to sit with Ohio members and if you get your banquet ticket to
Crystal as quickly as you can. Please put your name on the ticket in
Braille, print, or both. If for some reason you can not do this ask a friend
to put your name on the ticket. In any case please be sure that your name is
on the ticket and that Crystal has your ticket by the time the caucus ends
at the very latest.
	I have checked the Post Office box for the last time until after
convention. I hope I have everything I should be taking to convention for
you. This includes checks and tickets of various types. If there is
something you forgot to send me, be sure to get it to someone
>From your chapter or division who is going to convention.
	It won't surprise anyone who has attended a national convention
before, that the Ohio Affiliate will be selling candy again this year. We
will have boxes containing 52 pieces of candy. Each box will have plain and
peanut M&Ms, Snickers bars, and Skittles. You will make life easier for all
of us including yourself if you can pay for the candy you plan to sell in
advance. You can pay in cash or with a check made payable to the NFB-O. If
you pay in advance you don't have to worry about keeping candy money
separated from your personal funds. No one will have to find you at the end
of the convention to collect your money. You will also work a little harder
to sell those last few pieces of candy if you have paid for it in advance.
For each box of candy you take you should turn in $52. If you can't pay in
advance, don't let that discourage you from selling candy. Paying in advance
is a best practice and not a requirement.
	Shelbi Hindel and Richard Payne will be coordinating candy sales. We
plan to start distributing boxes of candy Sunday afternoon. Please don't
make Shelbi and Richard look for you to get the candy to you. Contact them
and arrange to get the candy you want. Shelbi's number is (614) 558-8059.
Richard's number is (937) 829-3368.
	Crystal McClain is coordinating  the staffing of the Ohio table in
the exhibit hall again this year. Please let her know that you are available
and willing to volunteer to work at least one shift. Her number is (937)
935-6188. Mark and Crystal take on a lot of responsibility for making sure
the table is staffed. In other words, they put in a lot more of their
personal time then they should have to. The Ohio table is B-8.
	Last Friday I asked you to contact Senators Brown and Portman to
request that they cosponsor S. 346. Please do this, and let me know of your
efforts. Copy me on emails and report to me about calls that have been made.
I assure you that if you give me your name as someone who is interested in
going to the 2014 Washington Seminar I will look back and see what you have
reported to me on this matter. At this writing Barbara Pierce and Deborah
Kendrick are the only two  who have copied me on Emails or let me know that
they've  contacted these offices. I sent Emails late Tuesday night, and I
plan to call both offices on Friday or Monday.
	Here is the appropriate contact information. Senator Rob Portman
Brent Bombach

Brent_bombach at portman.senate.gov

(202) 224-3353.
	Senator Sherrod Brown Doug Babcock.  doug_babcock at brown.senate.gov.
Phone: (202) 224-2315. It would be great to have the support of both
Senators before the convention ends. I know we can do this if we each do our
part to make it happen.
	I will see many of you at convention. I am looking forward to seeing
you and members of the Federation family from around the country.