[Ohio-talk] Buckeye Update

Eric Duffy eduffy at deltav.org
Fri Mar 1 23:07:37 UTC 2013

Buckeye Update, March 1, 2013

	I am sorry to report that Karen Whalen's mother died late Friday
night on February 22. Several Federationist from the Columbus area attended
the viewing Tuesday night. If you have been involved with the Business
Enterprise Program at all chances are that you know Karen. She and her
husband Steve Vincki have been long time leaders of our Ohio Association of
Blind Merchants. Her sister Kate was a BSVi Counselor in the Columbus area
for several years. Please keep Karen and her family in your thoughts and
prayers.
	A week ago today Debbie Baker and I were in Baltimore for training
related to the BELL Program. We were kept busy all weekend, but the training
was excellent. There is a great deal to be done before the first day of the
Ohio BELL Program on July 15.  I received an Email saying that the
Beavercreek Lions will make a contribution to help support the program. I
don't know how much they will contribute, but we can thank Susan Day for
making that contact.
	Today is Read Across America Day. I know the Cleveland chapter has
put together a nice event for blind children and their families. I look
forward to hearing more about that. I know that Debbie Baker read to blind
children in Springfield today. I hope we will have more information about
these activities in the upcoming newsletter.
	If you promised Barbara or me that you would write something for the
newsletter please get it in soon.  If you are not already writing something,
please think about what you can contribute to our publication.
	We now have 57 cosponsors on our space available legislation HR 164.
Four more cosponsors will be added next week. The companion bill in the
Senate S 346 does not have an Ohio cosponsor. We should all be contacting
Senators Brown and Portman asking them to cosponsor the bill.
	Representative Greg Harper of Mississippi introduced H.R. 831 the
Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act of 2013 on Wednesday. Please
contact your member of the House of Representatives and ask him or her to
cosponsor this bill.
	Scrip orders are due by 7:00 PM., Sunday. Debbie Baker has asked her
sister to participate in Scrip, and she will place a very nice order this
weekend. If you are participating in this program regularly, thank you. If
you are not doing what you can with Scrip and yet you care about the
Federation, ask yourself why you are not supporting Scrip.
	The parents division   is meeting by conference call in the morning.
This is something I am encouraging each of our divisions to do regularly.
	By now chapter and division presidents should have received tickets
for the gift card drawing that the parents division will conduct this
spring. Please do what you can to sell tickets and support this project. All
proceeds from this project will be given to the affiliate in support of
BELL.
	There is much to be done to continue to make life better for the
blind. No one can do it better than we can. Do your part in the week ahead,
and I'll do mine.