[Ohio-talk] Buckeye Update

Eric Duffy eduffy at deltav.org
Fri Mar 8 21:27:56 UTC 2013

Buckeye Update, March 8, 2013

	Last night I completed my first president's column for the
newsletter. Barbara has received some material for publication, but even
without asking her I'm sure she can use more. Let her know what you're doing
in your chapters and divisions. Please don't just assume that because you
have put something on Ohio Talk that we are going to pick it up for the
newsletter automatically.
	Tuesday morning I attended the self advocacy and legislative day
sponsored by the Ohio Developmental Disabilities Council. They had some
impressive presenters including members of the General Assembly.
	Later that day I participated in a meeting of the advisory body for
the OSU teacher preparation program. It is clear that we have a lot to do in
the field of education for blind children. Last night I posted to Ohio talk
a set of comments that I hope you will all use as talking points and let the
Ohio Department of Education know that you do not support proposed changes
to standards concerning who is eligible to receive services from a certified
teacher of the blind and visually impaired. Because I circulated them just
last night, I am not going to include them here.
	I also sent out the flyer that we are using to recruit students for
the BELL Program. Please do what you can to help us recruit. Barbara has
been working with the library for the blind to get letters out to registered
blind children.
	It has come to my attention that at least one person has said we are
not doing enough to let members know what is happening with BELL. I have had
something about BELL in almost every update I have written. I have done what
I can to include those who have specifically said they want to help with
BELL.  Keep in mind that the program is only in Columbus this year. We want
to expand to other cities next year. I welcome good Braille users who want
to help and can find a place to stay in Columbus during the two weeks of the
program.
	Please be sure you are doing what you can to encourage people in
your chapters and divisions to sign up for Ohio Talk. This is an easy way to
disseminate information. Also please be sure you are doing what you can to
share information with those who are not on the listserv for whatever
reason.
Yesterday Shelbi and I attended an event sponsored by the Ohio Department of
Transportation. We tested several ADA compliant barriers designating
construction zones. As the word spreads about the availability of these
barriers it is hoped that they will replace the caution ribbon and
construction fences we are used to encountering.
	Because the Great Lakes Scrip Center will be closed for spring break
during the first week of April, we must get our orders in by 9:00 AM., on
Thursday, March28. I will release the organization's order shortly after
9:00 that morning. I realize that this will be an inconvenience for some,
but this is the only way we can be sure people receive cards before the
middle of the month.
	I hope you are all selling tickets for the drawing being conducted
by the parents division. As I have said before, this is replacing the food
basket drawing for this year. Since we are not meeting in person for the
spring Board Meeting, the parents are conducting a drawing for some valuable
gift cards. The proceeds from the drawing will go to help with the cost of
BELL.
I have always found that I've gotten far more out of the Federation than I
can ever put into it. Whether we are talking about the newsletter, BELL, or
a  local chapter, we each have to decide what we can do and what we can
give. Find what it is you can do or give to the Federation in the week
ahead, and I will do the same. This is how we can build the organization
together.