[Ohio-talk] Political Correctness, Etc.

COLLEEN ROTH n8tnv at att.net
Thu Mar 28 01:37:10 UTC 2013

Hello,
I would like to say that the Spring, 2013 Buckeye Bulletin was a pleasure to read. It is so nice to have Nfb of Ohio Members send things to Barbara for inclusion in the Newsletter.
She always needs our contributions and it's nice to see so many.
I do have to comment about a phrase in one Article.
Carol Akers refers to people as differently-abled.
I understand that some people have trouble saying that they or their child has a disability.
It is resptable to be blind or have any other disability.
I am blind, therefore I am disabled.
My girls were Multi-handicapped, therefore they had disabilities.
I didn't love or value them less because of their disabilities.
I know that Carol doesn't view her son as any less valuable either, I just think we are so afraid of offending people.
Words like diherently-abled, hard-of-seeing, Visionally-challenged, a person who happens to be blind are clumsy and unnecessary.
Let's just say what we mean.
Colleen Roth
President
At Large Chapter