[Ohio-talk] Buckeye Update

Eric Duffy eduffy at deltav.org
Sat Nov 9 06:46:23 UTC 2013

Buckeye Update, November 9, 2013

	I am pleased to say that we had a tremendous convention in
Miamisburg last weekend. Sure there were some problems here and there, but
it is clear that we are a strong and growing organization. The convention
that we all made happen is one that we can be proud of. For those who
enjoyed it pat yourselves on the back in congratulations. Problems represent
an opportunity for growth and change. We learn from our mistakes as well as
our successes, and our 2014 convention will bigger and better than any we
have ever had in this state before. I don't say that lightly, so let's work
together to make it happen.
	There are many people to thank for making the convention run as
smoothly as it did, and you know who you are. I must thank the Miami Valley
Chapter for its work on our behalf. Karen Warner did an outstanding job as
our Convention Coordinator, and I am extraordinarily appreciative of Brenda
Baker, Amy Doll, and Cindy Conley for their help with registration.
	We did our best to promote our Malley's Chocolate fund raiser during
the convention. Cheryl Fischer, Milena Zavoli, Shawn Martin, and the
Cuyahoga chapter have been working hard to promote our Malley's Chocolate
sale. I will include more information about this at the end of this update.
	On Thursday Deborah Kendrick and I met with Mindy Duncan, Director
of the Bureau of Services for the Visually Impaired.  Deborah had a hair
raising bus trip, but she prevailed. The meeting was positive and
productive. We are listening to the concerns you are raising about
rehabilitation services in Ohio, and we are doing what we can to deal with
them constructively. I want to thank Deborah for her work in this area.
	I remind you that Barbara Pierce will start working on the
convention issue of the newsletter very soon. Please get articles and
information to her as soon as possible. Chapters and divisions have had, (or
soon will have), elections. We need to have those results quickly.  This is
our organization and our newsletter. Let's all do what we can to make it
better.
	December 1 is the deadline for submitting your name as someone who
is interested in participating in the Washington Seminar. Affiliate funds
are scarce this year, and I urge you to find the money to pay your way if
you give me your name.
	I am asking each of you to consider which committees you are
interested in serving on for 2014. Some of you have already emailed me. I am
including the 2014 committee list here.
	The work of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio goes on
even after a great convention and even during the approaching holiday
season. There is much to be done before the end of the year, so I will
report on our progress again next week.

	2013 NFB of Ohio Committee Descriptions

	 At the first board meeting of each year the president traditionally
makes the committee assignments for the coming year with the advice of the
board. Here are the charges to the affiliate committees:

DEAF-BLIND COORDINATORS
	Charge: To provide assistance and information to those who are in
this unique community and to serve as a vehicle to foster a positive
relationship for the deaf-blind community. This year we will work toward
forming an Ohio DEAF-Blind Division by the next State Convention.

AWARDS COMMITTEE
	Charge: To oversee the awards process, to provide information and
feedback when necessary, and to make reasonable judgments about NFBO awards.

CONSTITUTION COMMITTEE
	Charge: To make sure that all NFBO constitutions are in compliance
with the state and national constitutions, both philosophically and
rhetorically.

EDUCATION COMMITTEE
	Charge: To advise the president about policies, legislation,
strategies, and initiatives in which the National Federation of the Blind of
Ohio should be engaged to improve educational opportunities for blind youth
throughout the state.

FINANCING THE MOVEMENT COMMITTEE (SUN coordinator), (national fundraising
program coordinator), (Jernigan Fund coordinator), (PAC coordinator)
	Charge: To make members aware of these specific organizational
fundraising opportunities and to implement strategies to increase
participation.

FUNDRAISING COMMITTEE
	Charge: To investigate additional opportunities to increase NFBO
resources and to implement effective fundraising strategies and programming.

LEGISLATIVE COMMITTEE
 	Charge: To increase the organization's visibility and effectiveness
in the state legislature, and to continue to support our efforts in
Washington throughout the year.

MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE
	Charge: To implement effective strategies to recruit, retain, and
reinvigorate the chapters and members of the NFB of Ohio.

PROMOTION AND PUBLICITY COMMITTEE
	Charge: To promote and publicize appropriate programs and events,
and to acquire as much positive publicity as possible for such activities.

RESOLUTIONS COMMITTEE
	Charge: To oversee the submission process and to write and
distribute clearly articulated and philosophically sound resolutions.

SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE
	Charge: To conduct the affiliate scholarship program and to develop
and implement effective strategies to increase the visibility of the program
and increase participation.

The National Federation of the Blind of Ohio is conducting a fundraising
activity with Malley's Chocolates of Cleveland, Ohio.

A website has been setup specifically for the National Federation of the
Blind of Ohio fundraising campaign. All purchases made on that site will
directly benefit the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio. To connect to
this site, please visit
http://www.malleys.com/national-federation-of-the-blind-of-ohio

Thank you very much,
Eric Duffy, President National Federation of the Blind of Ohio

http://www.malleys.com/national-federation-of-the-blind-of-ohio
Our mailing address is:
13400 Brookpark Road
Cleveland, Ohio 44135
Contact us by phone: 1-800-275-6255
Fax: 1-800-211-0567
All website content C Copyright 2013 Malley's Chocolate. All rights
reserved.