[Ohio-talk] To Our Student Division and Its Leaders

Deborah Kendrick dkkendrick at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 14 19:14:26 UTC 2013

Jw,
Amen.
Deborah

-----Original Message-----
From: Ohio-talk [mailto:ohio-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Smith, JW
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:56 PM
To: NFB of Ohio Announcement and Discussion List (ohio-talk at nfbnet.org)
Subject: [Ohio-talk] To Our Student Division and Its Leaders

I feel like preachin today and in fact, as I write this, I got on one of my
preacher suits and I've been "pullin hoops" and "tunin in" all day (if you
don't understand these terms, ask somebody for clarification). How many of
you know that sometimes preaching to the choir is not always a bad thing and
sometimes can be very necessary? I want to tell our Student Division and its
leaders that your presence3 and involvement in our state convention this
year was inspiring, encouraging and exhilarating at times. The student
braille readers that participated in the radio play presentation were
excellent readers and added a freshness and energy that I've been longing to
see for some time in our affiliate (can I preach like I feel?) Say amen
somebody. For some time we have been trying to establish a viable and
committed student division and although we've had bits and pieces of
progress in this area in the past, for a number of reasons they haven't
lasted long enough. But I feel something different this time (tunin in) and
I hope I'm not wrong. These students seem ready to stay with us and to hang
in there through the thick and thin. Additionally, they have demonstrated
outstanding abilities that if we continue to cultivate and they continue to
make available to us, could bear the present and future fruit we have all
been seeding and seeking for in this area for some time "Can I get a
witness?" So, as I draw to the close of my short message I want to challenge
this current group of student division leaders to keep on keepin on and to
not let us forget about you. I want you to continue to make us realize that
you are both our present and future and that we need to involve you in every
aspect of our affiliate and as much and often as possible. Keep on speakin
up and speakin out and volunteering to participate actively and to keep
those of us who've been doing this a longggggg time (pullin a hoop now) from
letting staleness and lethargy set in. We need you, we want you and to this
point you have proven that you are ready to storm the barricades with us.
Say amen somebody!

Jw

Dr. JW Smith
Associate Professor
Interim Director of Honors Tutorial Studies School of Communication Studies
Lasher Hall, Rm. 112 Athens, OH 45701
smithj at ohio.edu<mailto:smithj at ohio.edu>
T: 740-593-4838
F: 740-593-4810

*Ask me about the newly revised Ohio Fellows Program or visit
http://www.ohio.edu/univcollege/ohiofellows.cfm

"Regarding the past, change what you can, and can what you can't."
"Our minds are like parachutes. They work best when they are open."