[Ohio-talk] Buckeye Update

Eric Duffy eduffy at deltav.org
Fri Nov 15 20:50:57 UTC 2013

Buckeye Update, November 15, 2013
	Thanksgiving is not yet here, but the Pierces have mailed there
Christmas letter. We can't even say that this jump on the Christmas season
is not motivated by commercialization. But when the commercialization is on
behalf of the National Federation of the Blind I will only say go Pierces.
We would all do well to let our friends and family know about these things
as well.
	Here are their commercials: The NFB is now accepting donated
vehicles. Please think of us if you have something on wheels to get rid of.
Go to www.nfb.org/vehicledonations, or call our toll-free vehicle donation
number (855) 659-9314. From November 29, Black Friday, to December 3, Giving
Tuesday, the NFB is conducting an online auction, Bidding for Equality. I
won't promise that the solution to your Christmas list problems is waiting
for you somewhere in the items available, but I will promise great stuff
definitely worth looking at. Go to <http://www.biddingforgood.com/> to
preregister.
Preregistering on <biddingforgood.com> will ensure you are ready to bid as
soon as the auction goes live. To preview our exciting donations, please
visit our auction homepage at
<http://www.biddingforgood.com/bid-for-equality>.
You can even add items to your cart to access them easily at a later time.
Finally many of you have made contributions to the Imagination Fund at my
request. This provides funding for the many valuable programs that we
conduct. If you are inclined to help us this year, you can do so by going to
www.nfb.org/ImaginingOurFuture.
	Although they did not include a Malley's Chocolate fund raising
commercial they were the first to place an order. Milena Zivoli and I have
also ordered. We still have a lot of orders to get before reaching our
minimum goal of $1,000 in sales. We are running out of time, so do what you
can to get orders for us.
	There is good news on the legislative front. The teach Act has now
been introduced in the House. The passage of this act is vitally important
to blind college students around the country. Contact your member of
Congress and ask him or her to support this legislation. The Bill was
introduced by Representative Petri.
We are beginning to put some thought and effort in to the 2014 BELL program
in Ohio. We are going to build on what we learned from the last program and
make this one a little bigger and a little better than the one before.
	Barbara is working on the convention issue of the newsletter. I will
begin writing my column today. Please get articles and information to her as
soon as possible. Chapters and divisions have had, (or soon will have),
elections. We need to have those results quickly.  This is our organization
and our newsletter. Let's all do what we can to make it better.
	December 1 is the deadline for submitting your name as someone who
is interested in participating in the Washington Seminar. Affiliate funds
are scarce this year, and I urge you to find the money to pay your way if
you give me your name.
	I am asking each of you to consider which committees you are
interested in serving on for 2014. Some of you have already emailed me. I am
including the 2014 committee list here.
	If life for the blind is going to improve, it is up to us to make it
happen. Let's see how much of a difference we can make between now and
Thanksgiving.

	2014 NFB of Ohio Committee Descriptions

	 At the first board meeting following the annual convention the
president traditionally makes the committee assignments for the coming year
with the advice of the board. Here are the charges to the affiliate
committees:

DEAF-BLIND COORDINATORS
	Charge: To provide assistance and information to those who are in
this unique community and to serve as a vehicle to foster a positive
relationship for the deaf-blind community. This year we will work toward
forming an Ohio DEAF-Blind Division by the next State Convention.

AWARDS COMMITTEE
	Charge: To oversee the awards process, to provide information and
feedback when necessary, and to make reasonable judgments about NFBO awards.

CONSTITUTION COMMITTEE
	Charge: To make sure that all NFBO constitutions are in compliance
with the state and national constitutions, both philosophically and
rhetorically.

EDUCATION COMMITTEE
	Charge: To advise the president about policies, legislation,
strategies, and initiatives in which the National Federation of the Blind of
Ohio should be engaged to improve educational opportunities for blind youth
throughout the state.

FINANCING THE MOVEMENT COMMITTEE (SUN coordinator), (national fundraising
program coordinator), (Jernigan Fund coordinator), (PAC coordinator)
	Charge: To make members aware of these specific organizational
fundraising opportunities and to implement strategies to increase
participation.

FUNDRAISING COMMITTEE
	Charge: To investigate additional opportunities to increase NFBO
resources and to implement effective fundraising strategies and programming.

LEGISLATIVE COMMITTEE
 	Charge: To increase the organization's visibility and effectiveness
in the state legislature, and to continue to support our efforts in
Washington throughout the year.

MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE
	Charge: To implement effective strategies to recruit, retain, and
reinvigorate the chapters and members of the NFB of Ohio.

PROMOTION AND PUBLICITY COMMITTEE
	Charge: To promote and publicize appropriate programs and events,
and to acquire as much positive publicity as possible for such activities.

RESOLUTIONS COMMITTEE
	Charge: To oversee the submission process and to write and
distribute clearly articulated and philosophically sound resolutions.

SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE
	Charge: To conduct the affiliate scholarship program and to develop
and implement effective strategies to increase the visibility of the program
and increase participation.

The National Federation of the Blind of Ohio is conducting a fundraising
activity with Malley's Chocolates of Cleveland, Ohio.

A website has been setup specifically for the National Federation of the
Blind of Ohio fundraising campaign. All purchases made on that site will
directly benefit the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio. To connect to
this site, please visit
http://www.malleys.com/national-federation-of-the-blind-of-ohio

Thank you very much,
Eric Duffy, President National Federation of the Blind of Ohio

http://www.malleys.com/national-federation-of-the-blind-of-ohio
Our mailing address is:
13400 Brookpark Road
Cleveland, Ohio 44135
Contact us by phone: 1-800-275-6255
Fax: 1-800-211-0567
All website content C Copyright 2013 Malley's Chocolate. All rights
reserved.