[Ohio-talk] I don't have it in for any airline

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Sun Nov 17 19:18:38 UTC 2013

That is interesting that they took your cane from you unless it didn't
fold.  Several years ago some of us from the Cincinnati NFB chapter
went down to the airport and were told that they would take your
folding cane and inspect it by hand.  Then they would give it back to
you to get through the gate.  It sounds like we need to not only
educate the airport staff but learn the regulations ourselves.  Great
possible presentation for the next state convention.

On 11/16/13, Kaiti Shelton <kaiti.shelton at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> most troubling part of my whole travel experience, was that once he
> got to the gate that was on my boarding pass he left me.  I noticed
> that a lot of people were exiting the gate, and asked a nearby family
> if something had changed.  Sure enough, they said that the screen
> showing the flight information had announced a change of gate shortly
> before the airline attendant dropped me off at the gate, and the
> mother and the teenaged daughter in the family were particularly
> troubled that he did not check the information and just hurried away
> because they were sure that he should have given me that information.
> They were able to give me directions to get to the correct gate so I
> didn't miss my flight home, and thankfully everything else was fine.
>
> I'm sure the airport was really packed with tons of blind people going
> home that particular day, and I even ran into quite a few even though
> I got to the airport at 5:30 in the morning.  I think there is much
> more education than just the cane and dog stuff that needs to happen,
> and it really needs to be at a deeper level because it is not just a
> regional thing, but even within airports there are different levels of
> service and awareness from employee to employee.
>
> I will say though that I think the work done at CVG has paid off.  I
> was pleasantly surprised when I got up to the scanners and an
> attendant asked if I would like to use a graphite cane the airport
> kept around while mine went through the metal detector.  They were
> also a lot more transparent with what they were doing to my notetaker,
> and took care of things in a quicker manner than the Orlando airport
> did on my return trip which I appreciated.  I think a slight language
> barrier might have been some of the problem with the second guy in
> Orlando, and though I traveled at around the same time for both
> flights I think traveling on a Monday morning was much easier than
> traveling on a Saturday because the second trip was definitely busier;
> however, I still don't understand why he would start taking me
> somewhere without one of my belongings and not stop until I absolutely
> refused to go further without it.
>
> Perhaps some energy can be put specifically on the Orlando airport,
> since that is going to be an important one for the next several years.
>
> On 11/16/13, Cheryl Fields <cherylelaine1957 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Great news, looking forward to it!
>>
>> On 11/16/13, COLLEEN ROTH <n8tnv at att.net> wrote:
>>> Hi Cheryl and Marianne,
>>> I think NAGDU will probably ask xs' Divisions in each State to
>>> coordinate
>>> some educational activities.
>>> I do think that all of us in the NFB whether whether we have a dog or
>>> not
>>> should know policies in effect in case we are in a situation where this
>>> knowledge might be helpful.
>>> I for one want Gudide Dod users to be able to use their dogs for
>>> travel. At the same time I want my right to avoid sitting by one to be

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053