[Ohio-talk] Advice for helping others cope with vision loss

Barbara Pierce bbpierce at pobox.com
Thu Oct 17 16:40:13 UTC 2013

Dear Kaiti,

It is early days for your roommate. She is going to have to adjust to this
spectacular loss. She knows full well that you deal with the situation
without thinking twice about it, but at this point that probably  just makes
things harder for her. You are going to have to be patient. Grab the family
if you can to warn against pity-motivated helpfulness. You want to build a
support community that is understanding but confident in her ultimate
ability to cope.

I am worried about the headaches and the carrying limits. These strike me as
potentially more limiting. I would concentrate on trying to work out coping
mechanisms for these troubles. This is not easy for you, but you are bound
to be good for her in the long run.

Good luck,
Barbara