[Ohio-talk] Buckeye Update

Eric Duffy eduffy at deltav.org
Fri Sep 6 21:55:55 UTC 2013

Buckeye Update, September 6, 2013
	It has been some time since I last sat down to write an update. Much
has happened in my own life since then, and as always, it certainly makes me
appreciate the family that I have in the Federation.
	As many of you know by now, my sister Jackie passed away on August
25. Jackie has been to National Conventions, and various Federation meetings
around the state. The last Federation activity I remember her driving some
of us to is a meeting of the Muskingum County a little more than three years
ago.
	Many of you have expressed your sympathy, prayed, and been very
supportive in a number of ways. I appreciate all of your support.
	Many of you have asked about sending flowers. We are going to have a
family gathering to celebrate Jackie's life later this fall. We have asked
those who wish to do so to make contributions to the James Cancer Center in
her name. However, anyone who wishes to do so may also make contributions to
the NFB of Ohio in her name. I will appreciate it and so would Jackie. She
believed in our cause.
	I appreciate every one who has kept things going in our Federation
family as I have struggled to cope with the emotions that we all experience
when we lose some one we love. In particular I want to thank Richard Payne,
Shelbi Hindel, Barbara Pierce, and Debbie Baker for keeping us moving
forward during this time. Others have done so as well, but their
contributions stand out in my mind.
	September 21 is the date for the next meeting of the Board of
Directors in Columbus. We will meet at the North Community Lutheran Church,
114 Morse Rd., in Columbus. The meeting will begin promptly at 10:00 AM.
Please be early.
	As we have done many times before we will order lunch from Wendy's.
We have ordered Scrip cards to purchase lunch. Although it can be done, it
is a challenge to spend much less than $10 per person when eating at
Wendy's. We are asking everyone to pay for their own lunch that day, and if
your order happens to be less than $10 to round your payment up to $10 if
you can do so. Remember not to include drinks in your order. Please email
your orders to Shelbi by Wednesday September 18. Shelbiah1 at gmail.com If for
some reason you must call in your order, Shelbi can be reached at (614)
558-8059. We will have coffee and soft drinks available.
	I have been asked about travel expenses to the meeting. I will
reimburse board members only for reasonable cost associated with travel to
the meeting. The policy is that we ask those who can do so absorb their own
expenses, then ask chapters to pay the cost, and finally the affiliate picks
up the cost for only members of the board if needed.
	We will of course plan for the convention  during the meeting. The
agenda is really coming along. Here is my reminder about door prizes.
Prizes should have a value of at least $10.00. Please consider purchasing
gift cards from the NFB Scrip Ohio program. This is a good idea for a number
of reasons. They are easy for you to get to the convention. They are easier
for others to carry, and your purchase benefits the National Federation of
the Blind of Ohio. Paul Dressell is once again in charge of door prizes.
Prizes may be sent to him or given to him at the convention.
	Paul is also in charge of gathering names for the memorial service.
Please make sure he knows who has passed away since our last convention.
pmd at pobox.com

	Here are some things you should be aware of concerning the
convention . Please let Shelbi Hindel know who will represent your chapter
on the nominating committee as soon as possible. Her email address is:

Shelbiah1 at gmail.com

You may also reach her by phone at : (614) 558-8059. It will make it easier
for her if she has the names of those serving on the committee well in
advance of the Board Meeting at the Convention.
	Our block of rooms at the hotel will be released after October 11.
Please make your room reservations by that date at the latest.
	Here is another reminder about the awards process for 2013. All
materials are due by September 21. Please read the memorandum from Paul
Dressell carefully and direct any questions to him. Even if your chapter or
division does not wish to compete for the Gavel Award, you must submit a
completed form in order for your members to be eligible to vote during the
convention. This is how we learn more about what your chapter or division is
doing.
	Barbara has done her usual fabulous job of putting the newsletter,
and it would have been out a long time ago but for my delays. So I want to
thank Barbara for all of her work and all of you who contributed to this
issue. It will be in your inbox and on NFB-NEWSLINE early next week.
	I will conclude with these comments about NFB-NEWSLINE. We have
worked hard to make sure that we have had NEWSLINE in Ohio since we were
told that the national organization was prepared to put black boxes in the
states. I had the guts of Ohio NEWSLINE in my basement many years ago. We
have worked to find funding and to make the service as robust as possible.
We funded the service when we had the money and it was necessary to do so.
We do not have money to put in to NEWSLINE at this point.
	The Rehabilitation Services Commission has funded NEWSLINE for the
past several years. During the current Contract negotiation the Commission
decided not to pay for the cost of the Toledo Blade. That is a decision that
many of us are unhappy with. Nevertheless, the Commission is paying the
bill, and they have the right to decide what they are willing and able to
pay. They are using Federal dollars, and I must say we should be grateful
that they have stepped up to the plate at this point. Some people want the
Blade, others want the Youngstown Vindicator, and still others want another
paper or two. All of that is well and good. I want to read as many papers as
I can get access to, but remember access comes at a price. If the money is
there we can have the Blade and other papers. If you want a particular paper
on NFB-NEWSLINE, contact service organizations and foundations and raise the
money to get your paper on the service.