[Ohio-talk] Fwd: [BARD-Support] Welcome to BARD Mobile

Sheri Beth Wells-Jensen swellsj at bgsu.edu
Fri Sep 20 14:18:49 UTC 2013

It's a beautiful day: iPhones and more books!
We've been waiting for this for … oh… decades it seems and here, finally, we go!

Happy reading, everyone.

Sheri W-J

Begin forwarded message:

From: NLSDownload <NLSDownload at loc.gov<mailto:NLSDownload at loc.gov>>
Subject: [BARD-Support] Welcome to BARD Mobile
Date: September 20, 2013 9:41:45 AM EDT
To: <BARD-SUPPORT at LISTSERV.LOC.GOV<mailto:BARD-SUPPORT at LISTSERV.LOC.GOV>>

Dear List Members,

We are excited to tell you that the BARD mobile iOS app is out! There are several things which we thought those of you interested in the app would want to know before you download it, and things you might want to do in order to ensure that you'll be able to use the app right away without frustration.

BARD Mobile will work on any iOS device running iOS 4.3.3 or later. This includes the iPhone 3GS and all later iPhones, all iPads, and fourth generation or later iPod touches. If you have one of these devices, be sure it is running iOS 4.3.3 or later.

You can't use a temporary password when logging onto BARD from the app, so be sure you have a working BARD username and permanent password before you attempt to log in with BARD Mobile. The app also will not work if you need to agree to the BARD pledge. If you have a temporary password, log into the BARD website at
https://nlsbard.loc.gov
to create a new password. And even if you have a working password, it's a good idea to log into the website and take the pledge if requested. Note that you can log into the BARD website using Safari on an iOS device if you like.

The BARD Mobile app allows you to download items from the Recently Added Books and Recently Added Magazines sections of the BARD site and from your wish list. So if there are books you know you're going to want to read right away, add them to your wish list. It is also easy to add books to your wish list from within BARD Mobile because when you browse the site either from within the app or from Safari on your iOS device, the Download link following every book title changes to an Add to Wish List link.

BARD Mobile must be open while books are downloading; if you switch to a different app, downloading will stop. Also, the screen must be unlocked throughout the download process.

We encourage you to take a look at the BARD Mobile user guide. You can find it at
https://nlsbard.loc.gov/apidocs/BARDMobile.userguide.iOS.1.0.html.
The manual is also available in the app, in the Help section of the BARD Mobile bookshelf.

If you want to read braille books with BARD Mobile, you'll need a braille display. Be sure to read Section 7 of the user guide, as it explains how to configure your display and provides keystrokes that make reading braille a smooth experience.

If you have BARD books or magazines on your computer, you can use iTunes file sharing or Dropbox to load them into BARD Mobile. Load them as zip files; BARD Mobile will unpack them automatically. When you open a talking book or magazine that you have loaded in this way for the first time, be sure BARD Mobile has access to the Internet, as the app will need to download an authorization file from the BARD website. This step is not necessary for braille files.

This should be enough info to get you started. Enjoy the app!

Sincerely,
The BARD Technical Support Team
NLS BARD Technical Support
e-mail: NLSDownload at loc.gov