[Ohio-talk] Summer/Fall 2013 Buckeye Bulletin

richard payne rchpay7 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 24 06:21:44 UTC 2013

Summer/Fall  2013

Buckeye Bulletin

A publication of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio

Barbara Pierce, Editor

237 Oak Street

Oberlin, OH 44074

bpierce at oberlin.net

http://www.nfbohio.org

(440) 774-8077

Eric Duffy, President

(614) 935-6965 (NFB-O Office)

eduffy at pobox.com

P.O. Box 82055, Columbus, OH 43202

Voice of the Nation's Blind

            The National Federation of the Blind of Ohio is a 501 (c) 3
consumer organization comprised of blind and sighted people committed to
changing what it means to be blind. Though blindness is still all too often
a tragedy to those who face it, we know from our personal experience that
with training and opportunity it can be reduced to the level of a physical
nuisance. We work to see that blind people receive the services and training
to which they are entitled and that parents of blind children receive the
advice and support they need to help their youngsters grow up to be happy,
productive adults. We believe that first-class citizenship means that people
have both rights and responsibilities, and we are determined to see that
blind people become first-class citizens of these United States, enjoying
their rights and fulfilling their responsibilities. The most serious
problems we face have less to do with our lack of vision than with
discrimination based on the public's ignorance and misinformation about
blindness. Join us in educating Ohioans about the abilities and aspirations
of Ohio's blind citizens. We are changing what it means to be blind.

            The NFB of Ohio has twelve local chapters, one for at-large
members, and special divisions for diabetics, merchants, students, seniors,
parents of blind children, and those interested in Braille. This newsletter
appears three times a year and is circulated by email, posted on
NFB-NEWSLINER, our digitized newspaper-reading service by phone, and can be
read or downloaded from our website, www.nfbohio.org. For information about
the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio or to make address changes or
be added to the mailing list, call (440) 774-8077 or email
bpierce at oberlin.net. For information about NFB-NEWSLINE, our free digitized
newspaper-reading service, call (866) 504-7300. Local NEWSLINE numbers are:
330-247-1241 (Akron), 330-409-1900 (Canton), 513-297-1521 (Cincinnati),
216-453-2090 (Cleveland), and 614-448-1673 (Columbus).

The NFB now has a vehicle donation program. For complete information go to
<www.nfb.org/vehicledonations> or call our toll-free vehicle donation number
(855) 659-9314.

Table of Contents

>From the President's Desk

by Eric Duffy

BELL Rings in Ohio

by Barbara Pierce

How the BELL Resonates for a Teacher

by Kaiti Shelton

The 67th NFB of Ohio Convention

An Opportunity for Learning, Fun, and Fellowship

by Karen Warner

Navigating the Wyndham Garden Dayton South Hotel

by Barbara Pierce

Merchants Had a BLAST This Spring

by Annette Lutz

A Once-in-a-Lifetime Opportunity

Being a National Scholarship Winner and a First-Time Convention Attendee

by Kaiti Shelton

Impressions of a First NFB Convention

by Joy Mistovich

Buckeye Briefs

Calendar of Events

2013 Convention Preregistration

>From the President's Desk

by Eric Duffy

      The National Federation of the Blind of Ohio is not an organization
speaking for the blind; it is the blind speaking for themselves. We know
that blind people have very often lived tragic lives, and we know that even
now blindness can be defeating. But we also know why.  Not blindness, but
society's devastating attitude about it constitutes our burden. We, the
blind of today, have carried out a revolution and have won our independence.
We have written our own philosophy, we have found our own direction, and we
have learned to speak with our own voice-the National Federation of the
Blind. We have taken our future into our own hands, and we are changing what
it means to be blind. We now imagine a future full of opportunity.

            In a clear and concise  way this summarizes the philosophy of
our organization and describes our purpose. If this is what we believe about
blindness, then what do we believe about sight? Sight is not magical or
mystical. Those who have sight are not superior or more blessed or virtuous
than those who lack it. Nor does it confer special powers on those who
possess it.

            It is true that many sighted people believe the exact opposite
of what I have just said. Unfortunately many blind people believe it as
well, especially those who are newly blind. But more and more of the blind
and the sighted alike are starting to believe and know otherwise. Attitudes
about blindness and therefore attitudes about sight are changing because of
the work of the National Federation of the Blind.

            I have often heard it said that we live in a sighted world. The
world doesn't belong to the sighted any more than it belongs to the blind.
True, blind people make up a very small percentage of the world's
population, and therefore, quite naturally, the world has been designed to
operate in a manner most convenient to the sighted. Thus the blind must use
alternative techniques to accomplish tasks that are normally done using
vision. But this doesn't mean that the techniques we use are inferior to
those used by the sighted.

            In some circumstances it is certainly convenient to have sight,
and indeed some tasks require it. Sight is a characteristic that most people
in the world possess, and a small minority do not. Height is another such
characteristic. A basketball player of either gender who is seven feet two
inches tall will have a decisive  advantage on the basketball court over a
player who is five feet eleven inches tall. Yet neither of these tall
athletes would qualify to work as a horse-racing jockey.

            When my boys were both very young, they wanted to go to Burger
King. When we got off the bus, I told them which way to turn to get to the
restaurant. They insisted that I was wrong. They were both certain that we
had to go the opposite way. They were sure that they were right. So I
relented even though I was absolutely certain they were wrong. I let them
walk and walk for what seemed like a very long distance to them.  As we
walked, they got quieter and obviously less certain of where they were
going. After a while I said, are you sure we're going the right way? They
said no. We turned around and began walking in the direction I had said we
should have gone to begin with. When they saw the Burger King, they were of
course happy. I told them that they should learn to listen to their dad and
that, when I told them that I knew where something was, they should trust
me. Their vision had not helped them in that situation.

            Because at NFB training centers we train those with a limited
amount of usable vision to function as if they were totally blind, some in
the blindness field say that we are against blind people using the vision
they have. Nothing could be further from the truth. We want people to use
vision productively and efficiently. The way to use limited vision to the
greatest degree possible, however, is to master the alternative techniques
of blindness so as not to find it necessary to depend on vision when it is
unreliable.

            Most of those in the world who are wealthy don't have to tell
others how rich they are. Most people who are extremely bright don't find it
necessary to tell others either. I believe it should be the same with sight.
Whether one has some useful vision or is fully sighted, he or she should not
feel compelled to wield it like a weapon unless he lacks self-confidence and
thus needs to feel superior to the blind.

            Not long ago I spent a weekend rooming with a man I had just met
for the first time. I knew he had some vision, but I didn't know for sure
whether he was blind or sighted. Through conversation I found out that he
was sighted. It didn't matter to either of us, just as my blindness didn't
matter, and that's the way it should always be.

            All of this should seem pretty obvious to members of the NFB,
but we have all known partially sighted people who have defined themselves
and their relationships with their blind friends according to the amount of
vision they have. When they lose vision, they sadly fall into depression
even when they think that they believe our philosophy. Fully sighted people
can also slip into attitudes that place disproportionate value on their
vision, assuming that they are irreplaceable because they can drive, read
print, or identify people across the room. These are all valuable skills
that we appreciate having conveniently at hand when sighted friends are
present. But we all, blind and sighted members of the Federation alike, must
guard against viewing ourselves and one another as the rest of the world
does, because it is simply not an accurate reflection of reality.

----------

BELL Rings in Ohio

by Barbara Pierce

Beginning July 15, Columbus was the site of a two-week program unlike
anything ever tried in Ohio before. Braille Enrichment for Literacy and
Learning (BELL), the NFB's ten-day intensive introduction to Braille and
much more, debuted in Ohio. For the most part blind Federationists organized
and staffed the program.

            Eric Duffy coordinated the entire effort and, thanks to the
generosity of the Wright State University Research Institute,  he was able
to be on hand for almost every minute of the program. Debbie Baker was the
lead teacher, and she planned the instruction and directed the staff of
willing volunteers. Ohio was especially lucky because Marianne Denning and
Shelley McCoy, who are both gifted teachers of blind children in their own
right, were also part of the staff. We had a couple of children who needed
one-on-one supervision and instruction, so we were able to offer truly
first-class staffing. In addition to six other blind volunteers, Carol
Akers, co-president of the Parents of Blind Children Division in Ohio, was
there every day, and her son Dustin made friends with all the children.
Shelbi Hindel's twelve-year-old daughter Aliyah was a steady volunteer with
boundless energy and good temper. She was amazingly mature and helpful to us
all.

            Seven families signed up for the BELL program, though because of
personal complications two of the children came for the first week only. The
program was originally created and designed to help low-vision kids who were
not getting the Braille they need during the school year, but we just
couldn't turn away young Braille readers who we know would benefit from the
entire range of skills being taught and modeled in this program.

            We were lucky to receive permission to conduct the program at
the Glenmont School, which is now the headquarters for the Autism
Association of Ohio. This was a wonderful place for us to work, and the
staff could not have been more welcoming or helpful. We had the use of two
good-size classrooms and the hallway and kitchens. The kitchens were useful
for storing food and preparing lunch every day. Annette Lutz and Shelbi
Hindel chiefly organized and prepared the food. We were very grateful that
the Business Enterprise Program had a location that closed in the Columbus
area, and BSVI agreed to let us use a good bit of the bulk food that became
available. This saved us a great deal of money and meant that the students
and staff had very tasty meals every day.

The Ohio State School for the Blind jumped onto the BELL band wagon as well
by allowing five of the volunteers who needed housing to stay in one of the
new cottages for the duration of the program. OSSB was only a few-minute cab
ride from the school, so the location was ideal.

            The heart of the BELL Program, however, is the curriculum. Much
of the time staff and students were encouraged to wear sleepshades so that
the kids got used to paying attention to what their fingers, toes, and ears
were telling them. Not surprisingly the children with some useable vision
grumbled at being unable to see when the sleepshades were on, and the ones
with no vision could not understand why we often insisted that they wear
sleepshades. We spent a good bit of time finding the sleepshades and storing
glasses before we could begin an activity. The most interesting part of the
exercise, however, was their reaction every time they discovered that we
were also wearing sleepshades. They were not at all used to having teachers
who were blind. In fact one staff member overheard a child saying
wonderingly to himself, "So teachers can be blind." Again and again during
the program the kids kept rediscovering that we were blind too.

            We started each day by listing our bell ringers, that is,
ringing our bells every time a child or staff member reported on something
that he or she had done the day before that was worthy of pride. Some of the
children did not like the sound of loud bells at the start of the program,
but by the close they were all ringing their bells enthusiastically. We then
sang two songs: "Ring my Bell," which allowed us to ring bells throughout
the song, and "The Braille Rap Song." This is a clever rap song written and
recorded by the American Printing House for the Blind that goes through the
alphabet reviewing the Braille dot numbers of each letter. The kids loved
dancing and shouting along with the song, and some mornings we paused the
song at each letter and had the children take turns giving us the dot
numbers and the whole-word Braille abbreviations for each letter.

            We had learning centers at which kids could practice pouring,
spreading cream cheese and peanut butter on bagels and bread, making party
mix, and forming Fruit Loops, miniature marshmallows, and mini M&Ms into
Braille letters. One day we made ice cream, and each child and some staff
members made cakes in a cup. These eatable projects were very popular. We
learned to fold currency and sort coins. And we played various games which
required reading and writing Braille letters.

            The group activities included scavenger hunts of various kinds
that pitted teams of children against each other. We tossed a Brailled beach
ball back and forth, reading the letters and words stuck on the ball's
surface that we first touched; and we played Braille musical chairs, in
which each child who found a chair had to read the Braille word taped to the
back. We had a fine game, called odd ball, which required players to match
pairs of balls of different sizes and textures. Through the two weeks we
taught the kids strategies for identifying pairs of balls, and they improved
amazingly at doing the job. Perhaps the most popular game was Braille
Twister. We had giant Braille cells laid out on poster board, with each
large Braille dot made of a different textured fabric. The caller gave
instructions like left foot on dot 3, right foot on dot 4, left hand on dot
6, and right hand on dot 1. The result was lots of laughter and learning of
Braille letters.

            The game Stay out of My Bubble was also popular. The children
wore Hula Hoops suspended from straps over their shoulders. Then they moved
around, practicing courteously requesting that others "Please stay out of my
bubble." At the same time they were also learning how close they could get
to other people without making them uncomfortable.

            Jim Debus came one day and taught the students the rudiments of
goalball and later introduced them to the cardinal directions. Another day a
fire crew brought a truck to the school and showed the children all the
special fire protection clothing that firefighters wear. Then the kids got
to crawl around the truck. One of the firefighters was a woman, which
impressed students and staff alike. Another day a police officer came to
talk about safety and introduce the children to the police car.

            Eric Duffy has a wonderful way with children. On the first day
of BELL he announced that he was King Eric and that everyone would have to
follow his rules during BELL. This decree provided an ongoing source of
jokes and teasing back and forth for the entire program. The children
announced almost every day that he was fired and that they were taking over.
Eric would respond by threatening to put them in jail. When volunteer Kaiti
Shelton devised a set of words to the old camp song, "There's a hole in your
bucket," the kids were delighted. Our version began, "There's a crack in
your crown, King Eric, King Eric," and went downhill from there.

            By the end of every day and certainly by the close of the
program everyone was exhausted. But we were also thrilled to observe the
changes in the youngsters. They still dropped their canes whenever possible
and forgot where they were lying, but they were remembering that they should
have them and even got better at using them. They developed strategies for
assessing things tactilely. They began asking to use the slate and stylus
and to take turns reading the Braille books that surrounded them. Our very
quiet child had learned to speak up because his blind teachers didn't notice
his problems when he was silent. Our extravert began to learn that we were
not impressed with her just because she was blind. The staff learned lots as
well. We learned to work together as a team. Some of us discovered how much
fun it is to read Braille books to children. We learned how to teach under
sleepshades, and we rediscovered how much fun it is to play on the floor. A
photo gallery of the BELL Program in Ohio appears on our website, <
<http://www.nfbohio.org> www.nfbohio.org>. Here are the comments of some of
the staff:

Debbie Baker: We in the NFB of Ohio offer our gratitude to the generous
anonymous donor who contributed $200 to each of the nineteen 2013 BELL
programs to be used to purchase books from Seedlings Braille Books for
Children. It was a delight to choose a variety of Braille and Braille-print
books for our program from Seedlings. We sent goodie bags home with each
student at the end of the program. These included two Seedlings books
selected by each child; his or her long white cane, sleepshades, and freedom
bell used daily to celebrate students' successes; a slate and stylus; a
pop-a-cell from the American Printing House for the Blind, with which
students can practice forming Braille symbols; and various edible or craft
projects completed during the program.

Students practiced learning the cardinal directions as well. Each worked
with a blind adult partner to locate or to move toward the north, south,
east, and west walls of the classroom in which we worked. Of course we used
these same directional referents as we moved around inside the school. One
morning we took students outside to locate the morning sun in order to find
east. Then students applied cardinal directions as they traveled with their
canes outside the school.

The students journaled at the close of each day. An adult partner helped
with spelling and advice on sentence structure and correcting errors, and
generally tried to protect the Perkins Braillers. This activity included
writing thank-you notes to the firefighters who visited during the first
week, to Jim Debus for his help with goalball and orientation and mobility,
and to the school custodian, who cleaned up after us and answered our
requests for general assistance.

Deborah Kendrick: What's not to love when you combine children and Braille
in one program created by the National Federation of the Blind? In other
words, I knew when I first heard about BELL (Braille Enrichment for Literacy
and Learning) that I was eager to see it come to Ohio and eager to be a part
of it. Of course what no one could know in advance was the shape and feel of
our particular BELL program, since each program in each state takes on the
personalities of the children and adults who come together in it.

The children were precious. From vibrant fashionista Mackenzie, age six, who
announced emphatically when I shook her hand on the first day, "I'm the
smartest kid here," to dog-lover Aidan, age ten, who really worked hard to
learn Braille and always had an adorably quirky smile in his voice.

Jayden and I bonded the first day around, first around our hearing aids and
next through a kind of secret understanding about what each of us could see.
He saw a fair amount with his eyes, and I see nothing physically. Yet he
caught on quickly through a game we played that I could see many things by
using my other senses--and my brain. We practiced using clues like
detectives to see without eyesight, and I do hope he is still practicing.

I learned about my fellow Federationists too. We've all known for years that
Debbie Baker was a teacher, but seeing her in action was truly a treat. Our
college students, Kaiti and Aleeha, suddenly seemed like full-blown
professionals in their interactions with the kids. Somehow, almost
magically, every adult fell into a designer niche--from preparing our lunch
to directing games to reading stories--and it was simply a fabulous
experience.

Naturally we figured out some things that maybe we don't need to do next
year and others that we should expand. But our first Ohio BELL program was a
huge success, and I personally wouldn't miss the next one.

P.S. I am still waiting for my bell.

Carol Akers's parent perspective: It was interesting to watch the families
as they entered hesitantly on the first morning, probably wondering if they
were doing the right thing by entrusting their blind children to strangers.
After all, not only were these people strangers and in a building unfamiliar
to the children, but, most of the people in the room were blind themselves.
Parents were nervously trying to explain some of their children's needs,
their supplies, and the amount of assistance they required.

Fast forward two weeks. The children arrive on the final day, excited to be
here. Parents are smiling, knowing their kids are happy to be a part of this
experience, in which they are with their peers, playing games competitively,
and sharing tasks with people who understand their desire to be included in
everyday activities like making snacks, mixing up a cake in a cup, and
knowing how to pour their own drinks. Parents are no longer hesitant to
leave their children because they are now convinced that blind people are
responsible and capable and that parents can have an honest, open dialog
about their children with people who really understand the situation.

What a difference two weeks can make. We watched each child emerge and
change as the kids expanded their knowledge of Braille through many games
and types of exposure. Children of all abilities shared those opportunities,
and each one was affected in a different way. Some children had had more
exposure than others, but only through reading books. Little did they know
how many other ways they could incorporate Braille into their lives.

Parents also began to see differences: they heard their children talk about
each day's activities, using their canes to discover sounds for a sound
scavenger hunt, identifying the sounds they hear and learning more about
them, an object scavenger hunt identifying items and objects that might
obstruct their paths on any day and how to maneuver around them safely using
their canes--all information useful in helping them become more independent.
After all, isn't that what most parents desire for their children but just
aren't sure how to accomplish?

Comments from families were positive. At the end a mini orientation and
mobility lesson gave parents more insight into how their children perceive
their environment when learning to navigate in and around it. I think they
came away realizing that their blind children are capable of much more than
they give them credit for. They can have high expectations for their
children because with proper instruction their children are capable. They
can have dreams of a bright future for their kids. And, most important, they
don't have to accept the limitations set by society for their blind
children.

What a wonderful experience BELL was--successful in accomplishing what we
set out to do by making a lasting impression on young lives through Braille
and daily living skills and most of all sharing the NFB with them.

Shelbi Hindel: As we planned for the BELL Program, we knew that lunch
preparation for such a large group (usually about twenty) would be
challenging. The word "challenging" was replaced by "daunting" as soon as we
learned that we would not have the use of a stove. But, as we always do in
the National Federation of the Blind, we pulled together and made it work.
Almost anyone responsible for the daily preparation of meals can relate to
the feeling of "Oh no, what am I going to fix today? Nothing sounds good, or
it is so close to what we've just been eating!"

            Our effort to feed the masses was aided by a generous donation
of food and drinks by the Ohio Rehabilitation Services Commission. One of
the cafeterias operated by the Business Enterprise Program closed, and we
were able to use the remaining inventory. We want to thank Kevin Miller and
Mindy Duncan for making this very generous gift possible.

            Annette Lutz had much of the responsibility for the lunch
arrangements, but it was a true team effort. Barbara Pierce and my daughter
Aliyah were also a tremendous help. I enjoyed working with them and getting
to know them better. We all did things in slightly different ways, but we
found that each of our techniques worked. In this case I would not say that
there were too many cooks in the kitchen.

We all ate very well over the two weeks. I appreciate that no one complained
and that the people I have not mentioned here helped out when they were
asked or saw a need. Perhaps the most cheering part of this element of BELL
was that every morning the children enquired with real enthusiasm, "What are
we having for lunch?" And whether it was sloppy Joe, chicken and noodles,
marzetti, hotdogs, or toasted cheese sandwiches and tomato soup, they asked
for seconds.

Marianne Denning: I volunteered to help at the BELL Program this summer and
met wonderful children and volunteers.  I made new friends and learned more
about the philosophy of the NFB.  The children took on new challenges and
loved to come to camp every morning.  I received an email from one of the
parents who said that his TVI noticed improvement in his cooperation in
Braille.  He will begin first grade this fall, so he is just beginning to
use touch-and-learn Braille.  His parents are thrilled with BELL.  I love
Braille, and I am always excited when children learn and love it too.

----------

How the BELL Resonates for a Teacher

by Kaiti Shelton

            Like many other children with partial vision, I began my
academic career by pressing my face into a print book to read words in
twenty-point font. I knew how to read basic words, but my nostagmus and
limited field of vision made it difficult for my eyes to focus on the page
long enough to read a word in one glance. I managed to go through
kindergarten reading books in this way, with my teacher and parents thinking
that large print was truly the least restrictive mode of reading. That
changed when my perceptive first grade teacher intervened. She knew I was
smart for my age and feared that reading print would only hold me back. She
pushed for me to be re-tested, and this time Braille was shown to be the
least-restrictive reading medium for me.

            Although from that point on I was always given access to Braille
materials, the first few years of Braille instruction were rough for both me
and my teachers. At first I resisted learning Braille, doing everything I
could to regain the print books that made me feel similar to my sighted
classmates. I kicked and screamed on the way to Braille lessons, had
meltdowns during spelling tests because I felt self-conscious about using
the noisy Perkins Brailler, and once tried to break the brailler so that I
would have to use pencil and paper to write my work. I put up the best fight
a six year old could, but somehow my teachers had more patience than I gave
them credit for. Gradually I got over my insecurities and began to realize
that I liked reading and I liked Braille. By third grade I was reading books
at a sixth-grade level, and my mother and her Seedlings catalog could barely
keep up with me. But I had to learn the hard way the importance of Braille
and how enjoyable it could be.

I am truly glad that the students at the NFB BELL Program have the
opportunity to learn Braille in fun and exciting ways which make them want
to read and succeed from an early age. Braille Twister, Tasty Dots, and the
other games and drills were exciting and interesting for students and adults
alike. As a teacher it was also gratifying to see the students so
enthusiastic about learning and their achievements. Overall the students
made great strides throughout the program, and everyone had fun.

I also appreciated the lessons in nonvisual techniques and blindness
etiquette. Games like Stay Out of My Bubble were great for teaching the
students to address an issue of social interaction from a blindness
perspective. The nonvisual technique lessons in pouring and cane travel
under sleepshades were educational for the students, and each one made
improvements. Perhaps the biggest lesson in blindness for them was to learn
that successful, Braille-reading adults travel independently, teach, and
have families and careers. One student said she didn't know teachers could
be blind, and it was good for her and the parents of the students to see
successful role models in action.

Overall it was a very enjoyable two weeks, and I hope to participate again
in the future. I had a lot of fun working with the students, and it was
great to see them develop academically and socially.

-----------

If you or a friend would like to remember the National Federation of the
Blind of Ohio in your will, you can do so by employing the following
language:

   "I give, devise, and bequeath unto the Ohio Council of the Blind dba
National Federation of the Blind of Ohio, P.O. Box 82055, Columbus, Ohio
43202, an Ohio nonprofit corporation, the sum of $
(or "                  percent of my net estate" or "The following stocks
and bonds:                                        )  to be used for its
worthy purposes on behalf of blind persons."

-----------

The 67th NFB of Ohio Convention

An Opportunity for Learning, Fun, and Fellowship

by Karen Warner

            Editor's note: Karen Warner chairs our Convention Arrangements
Committee. Here are her reminders about the NFB of Ohio convention November
1 to 3:

            It is now August, and we are looking forward to the state
convention, which takes place in the Dayton area. We will again be at the
Wyndham Garden Dayton South Hotel, 31 Prestige Plaza Drive, Miamisburg.

            This convention is dedicated to the memory and lifetime of
tireless work on behalf of the blind of Ohio and the nation of Robert (Bob)
Eschbach and to his wife Patricia (Pat), who was his constant companion and
helpmate and who is still our colleague in the movement and beloved friend.

            This convention promises to be one of our best ever. We will
have a jam-packed agenda with plenty for everyone to do. It will be a great
opportunity for learning, fun, and fellowship. Preregister for the
convention now and save.

            Our first convention session will be called to order on Friday
afternoon, so do not plan to travel to Dayton in time for the evening
activities. If you do, you will have missed a good third of the actual
convention sessions. The board meeting will begin at 11:00 a.m., and Eric
assures us that it will last only an hour. We believe that this schedule
will enable everyone to travel early Friday morning and therefore save on
one night of hotel expense.

            Our room rate is $75 a night plus tax for all rooms. Remember
that this excellent rate vanishes when our room block is released on October
11, so make your reservation today by calling the hotel, (937) 434-8030.
Tell the reservations clerk that you are registering for the convention of
the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio, and be sure that the hotel is
aware of any special needs when making your room reservations. For example,
if you need a wheelchair-accessible room or a room close to the elevators,
let them know. The following article provides some important information
about the layout of our hotel.

            Please preregister for the convention because doing so gives us
more accurate information about meal counts and room setups. To encourage
you to preregister, we provide some financial savings to those who do so.
The deadline for preregistering is October 24. I urge you to take this
deadline seriously. We often hear pleas to grant the preregistration
discounts to late registrants because the member really intended to get the
form and check in by the deadline but just didn't get organized soon enough.
We provide as much time as we can, but we absolutely must enforce the
cut-off date so that we have time to process the registrations we have
actually received before leaving for the convention. For the first time in
our history we are offering the opportunity to register online. This should
make life easier for you and for us.

            Here are some important things to remember when planning for the
convention. The first full convention event is the board of directors
meeting on Friday at 11:00 a.m. This will be your first chance to meet our
national representative, Sam Gleese of Mississippi. Sam is a longtime member
of the NFB national board of directors.

            After a quick lunch we will gather for the Friday afternoon
convention session. That evening the vendors and the At-Large Chapter will
meet as will the Resolutions and Nominating Committees. The Resolutions
Committee will meet at 7:30 p.m. Through this committee the policies of the
affiliate begin to take shape. Please remember this important policy
concerning resolutions. If you have an issue you believe the affiliate
should address in some way, write a resolution. It should be printed out
and, if possible, accompanied by a Braille copy. If you cannot transcribe it
into Braille, do not be discouraged. The important thing is that we have a
print copy from which to work.

Resolutions must be sent no later than one week before the Resolutions
Committee meeting. This year resolutions must be received in either the
Columbus office or the home of Deborah Kendrick, the committee chair, by
Friday, October 25, 2013. Anyone wishing to submit a resolution for
consideration after this date must persuade a member of the Resolutions
Committee to sponsor it and bring it to the committee meeting. Resolutions
for which the committee votes to recommend do not pass will not be
considered by the Convention unless three chapter presidents present and
voting at the convention sign a request to bring the resolution to the
floor.

            The Nominating Committee will also meet briefly late Friday
evening. Members of this committee are appointed by chapter presidents, and
the president of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio selects the
committee chairperson from those appointees.

            For the third consecutive year the Ohio division of the National
Association to Promote the Use of Braille (NAPUB) will sponsor the
presentation of a radio play, this year an episode of Sam Spade by the Not
the Royal Shakespeare Company, directed by Bob Pierce. The group's
presentation of an episode of Our Miss Brooks was one of the highlights of
last year's convention. Admission will be $5, and it will be worth every
penny.

            Saturday we will have a morning convention session and the usual
NAPUB continental breakfast meeting and lunch meetings of parents, seniors,
guide dog users, and students. The students will probably bring in pizza,
but the other groups should be sure to sign up for the meal associated with
their meetings.

            We plan to have an afternoon convention session that will run
from 2:00 PM to 5:00. The banquet will begin at six this year, and we will
continue partying after the banquet. The Sunday morning session will include
a brief memorial service, affiliate elections, a discussion of NFB
philosophy, membership building, and affiliate history, as well as a brief
business meeting. The convention will adjourn at noon. We hope that you will
make plans now to join us at this year's convention. You will be sorry if
you miss it, and so will we.

----------

Navigating the Wyndham Garden Dayton South Hotel

by Barbara Pierce

            Editor's note: The following article is reprinted from last
summer's newsletter. The layout of the hotel has not changed in the
intervening year, so we are running it again for your convenience. Here it
is:

            The first thing you need to keep in mind about the Wyndham
Garden is that it is a holodome property. That is, its central architectural
feature is an atrium with recreational facilities: pool, hot tubs, pool
table, and a game room. The guest rooms on all three floors circle this
atrium. The rooms on the inside of the circle have sliding glass doors that
overlook the pool and room doors on the opposite wall that give access to
the corridors that in turn give access to the outside and lead to the public
rooms of the hotel. You cannot lock the glass sliding doors from outside the
room, so you should not leave your room that way unless someone can lock the
door from the inside after you leave.

            The main entrance of the hotel is on its east wall, toward the
north end. You pass through two sets of doors to reach the lobby. Just
inside the inner doors of this main entrance, on both the left and right
side, are small board-type meeting rooms, and the front desk is on the west
wall of the lobby, not far in front of you. If you turn right (north) at the
desk, you can turn left (west) at the north end of the desk and walk toward
the ballroom, which runs north/south along the west side of the hotel. A
foyer along the length of the ballroom gives access to the various sections
of the ballroom on the west side of the foyer. If, instead of walking south
along the ballroom, you turn first right and then left, you will find the
restaurant and bar at the northwest corner of the building.

            To reach the guest rooms, return to the front desk and turn left
so that you are walking south toward the atrium. On the right you will pass
an archway that gives access to the ballroom foyer about halfway down its
length. Continuing south along the carpeted corridor, you will find
sectional seating in the middle of the hall at a point when the space opens
into an art gallery. At the south end of this central seating you can angle
east or west to find corridors giving access to the wooden guest-room doors,
which have raised and Braille room numbers as required by the ADA. If you
choose to go straight south instead of angling, you will reach the
northernmost of the two elevators. Turning left or right at the elevator
will take you straight east or west to doors giving access to stairwells.
The one on the east side is door 1, and the one on the west end is door 4.
At the ground-floor level these stairwells, as well as doors 2 and 3 at the
far ends of the corridors, each contain a door to the outside, a door to the
atrium, the door you just walked through, and a door to the connecting
guest-room corridor. The stairs to the upper floors are also in this
uncarpeted area. By the way, your room key will open the outside doors,
which are kept locked. You will find the box for inserting the key card to
the right of the door on the outside. The grassy dog relief area is just
outside door 4. A trash receptacle will be available outside that door.

            To grasp the guest-room layout, think of the hotel as an arrow
with the corridor leading from the front desk to the elevator already
mentioned as the shaft of the arrow. The arrowhead is the guest-room area
with the pool atrium in the center of the arrowhead. Parallel corridors make
a circuit around the arrowhead with a flattened tip, that is, not coming to
a point. The south elevator actually faces south and is located at the
extreme southern end of the hotel. The innermost of the parallel  corridors
circles the atrium with a chest-high wall separating the hallway from the
drop to the atrium. The outside wall of this corridor contains the glass
sliding doors to the rooms. Most of the ground-floor rooms are located only
on the outside wall of the hotel, though near the northern elevator the
wheelchair-accessible rooms are located on both sides of the outer hallway.
If you need an accessible room, be sure to mention that fact when you make
your reservation.

            If you take the time to study this description, it should give
you a place to begin learning the layout of the convention hotel.

----------

Merchants Had a BLAST This Spring

by Annette Lutz

            Editor's note: Annette Lutz is president of the Ohio Association
of Blind Merchants. Here is her report of a national meeting of blind
merchants last spring and other news from the OABM:

This past spring was an exciting and challenging time for the Ohio
Association of Blind Merchants (OABM). We had a number of excellent training
opportunities, as well as having kept busy with the day-to-day challenges
that always surround the Business Enterprise Program, especially considering
the number of new staff members at BSVI.

Our first training opportunity came at this year's annual operator statewide
meeting, where we were honored to have as our guest Kevan Worley and Terry
Smith. Many of you reading this article will remember Kevan as the national
representative at last year's state convention. He is the executive director
of the NFB's National Association of Blind Merchants and a successful blind
businessman in Colorado. None of us will easily forget Worley
Enterprises.com. Kevan provided us with an entertaining and informative
seminar on building our businesses through service. Kevan was also a
contributor to the discussions led by Terry Smith. Terry is a nationally
recognized expert on Business Enterprise Programs. He has held numerous
positions of leadership in this field and is currently serving as the
opportunity specialist for the National Federation of the Blind's
Entrepreneurial Initiative.  Those of us who attended the trainings learned
about such items as national trends surrounding BE, the current issues
facing our programs nationwide, and the extremely important topic of Active
Participation as it pertains to BSVI and the elected committee of operators.
The feedback from all of these trainings was very positive, and we were
truly honored to have two such impressive experts here in Ohio.

Later in the spring several members of the OABM, along with our NFB-O
president Eric Duffy and affiliate secretary Shelby Hindel, as well as BSVI
director Mindy Duncan, had the opportunity to attend the BLAST conference in
Indianapolis, and the name says it all. BLAST stands for Business Leadership
and Superior Training and is a several-day conference for blind business
people hosted by the NABM. The days and evenings were jam-packed with a
variety of seminars and discussions ranging from the development of a vendor
bill of rights to dealing with national trends such as the healthy vending
initiative. There were a number of motivational speakers and a large trade
show featuring products and services of interest. However, even with all of
this extremely informative training, in which everyone learned a great deal,
for me the high point was most definitely the speech by NFB President Dr.
Marc Maurer. This was the first opportunity I had had to hear him speak in
person, and he inspired me to realize why I am a Federationist. This was my
first national event affiliated with the NFB, and it makes me look forward
to going to many more in the future.

With all of the opportunity that we had as a group for training this spring,
I find it still a wonder that our BE Program faces the challenges that it
does. Understandably one major contributor to the current situation is the
turnover of staff members managing the program, so we can hope that with
time and experience this will be overcome. I was pleased to learn that our
new director, Mindy Duncan, was open to attend such events as BLAST and to
use the resources available to her through organizations such as the NFBEI.
However, we still have quite a way to go to achieve measurable improvement.
At the time of this writing, the Ohio Association of Blind Merchants and the
elected committee are fighting battles concerning such items as the
acceptance of operator grievances and the following of rules by BSVI, but I
am confident that Mindy and the other BSVI staff will soon acknowledge the
vast experience of our membership and operators and learn to work with us
instead of against us. This is the only way that we will be able to grow
this program into what it is meant to be, one of the best opportunities for
the blind, in a time and place where employment for us is so limited.

Now that the busy spring is over and we are still facing the daily
challenges, the Ohio Association of Blind Merchants is turning our attention
to the future. We are about to launch a membership drive to increase our
numbers, and we are planning for state convention. We will be working on
fundraising and continuing to advocate for our operators. Our hope is to
build this division into a strong and prosperous contributor to the National
Federation of the Blind of Ohio and to be a loud voice for the blind
business community nationwide.

----------

A Once-in-a-Lifetime Opportunity

Being a National Scholarship Winner and a First-Time Convention Attendee

by Kaiti Shelton

Editor's note: Kaiti Shelton won the NFB of Ohio Jennica Ferguson
Scholarship last November. Although she knew very little about the NFB at
that point, from the beginning she jumped in and immersed herself in
Federation activities. This summer she was one of the BELL volunteers who
spent two weeks working with blind children. She also spent a week of her
summer as a 2013 national scholarship winner at the NFB's annual convention.
This is what she says about that experience:

It was Monday, April 29, the first day of spring semester finals week. After
a jury (an exam in which music majors are graded on playing their primary
instruments), a piano competency exam, and my theory test, I went back to my
dorm for a seemingly uneventful night of studying and a movie with my
roommate. I was quite surprised when my iPhone started ringing with a number
I didn't recognize. I was even more surprised when Jeannie Massay, president
of the NFB of Oklahoma, told me that I was a 2013 NFB national scholarship
winner.

I had applied for the scholarship and not received it as a high school
senior, and I was prepared to have the same thing happen again this year. I
think the disappointment last year helped me to truly appreciate getting it
on my second try. In the days to come I felt extremely honored and excited,
but there was sort of a surreal quality to it all. Maybe it was because I
was caught between wanting to celebrate and the need to be serious about the
rest of my deadlines and exams, but I remember the full impact of the
situation not really sinking in till I was home and did not have to focus on
school any more. Then I realized that for the first time ever I would be
getting on a plane, traveling unaccompanied by my family, and going to a
national NFB convention.

Taking the plane by myself was an interesting learning experience and an
exercise in independence. My family loves to travel, but my parents had
always preferred to pack up the car and road-trip to our vacation
destinations in true Griswold fashion. I enjoyed being able to travel by
myself, and, since it was not something I had done before, it was pretty
educational. I managed to navigate the Orlando airport without any major
snafus and felt a sense of accomplishment for doing so the first time
traveling on my own. I thought it was a very appropriate way to reach my
destination and kick off my first NFB convention.

Right from the start I noticed that everything people had told me about
convention was going to be true. The sheer number of blind people in one
place was astounding. Someone had told me that just the sound of all the
canes clacking against the tile floor of the hotel at once would be an
amazing thing to hear, and even that was right. It really showed me just how
many people are involved in the NFB and how far reaching the organization
is. I had been to national conventions several times before with the Future
Educators Association in high school and with my music therapy class in
college, but neither event, as noble as they were, had quite as much
participation and liveliness as I saw in Orlando.

Convention afforded me several opportunities for networking and public
speaking. It was nice to catch up with other scholarship winners whom I knew
from music programs we had both attended and listservs, as well as to meet
some of the others pursuing careers in science, technology, healthcare and
human services, education, and rehabilitation. As Scholarship Committee
chair Patti Chang said at the banquet, we were a very social scholarship
class. I am glad to say I formed friendships with some very smart and
talented people which I hope to maintain in the future. In addition to the
speeches about myself that I delivered at the NABS and board of directors
meetings, I was invited to speak about other topics that I am passionate
about. I spoke on the importance of volunteering at the Community Service
Group meeting alongside Darian Smith, second vice president of NABS and
co-chair of the Community Service Group. I plan over the next few months to
aid in the launching of the NFB Community Service Division as one of its
founding board members. I was also invited to speak about the field of music
therapy and some of the adapted techniques I plan to use in my work, on a
panel with two of my fellow scholarship winners who are also pursuing
careers in human services at the Human Services Division meeting.

One of the greatest perks of being a scholarship winner is that you are
given the chance to meet some very influential, active, and dedicated
Federationists. I found my mentors (Jeannie Massay, Jessica Ewell, Pam
Allen, Kathy Jackson, Scott LaBarre, and Carl Jacobsen) to be fantastic
people as well as excellent role models and wish I had had more time to
speak with each of them. Some of my favorite memories with my mentors
include going to the Resolutions Committee meeting and the mock trial with
Jessica and Jason Ewell, discussing Federation philosophy over lunch with
Pam Allen, having a blast with Cathy Jackson and the very enthusiastic
Kentucky affiliate during Thursday afternoon's general session, and making
witty baseball jokes with Scott LaBarre and Kevan Worley at the PAC table.
In addition to my mentors I was also introduced to well-known Federationists
like Fred Schroeder, Parnell Digs, Mark Riccobono, Anil Lewis, and NABS
President Sean Whalen. The most memorable person I got to meet briefly and
speak to was Dr. Maurer himself, which I had not expected to do as a
first-time convention attendee.

I really enjoyed everything about convention, from the Resolutions Committee
meeting, to Dr. Maurer's speeches, to the exhibit hall. I think not having
any previous experience or expectations of what a national convention would
be like made everything all the more exciting. It also helped that some of
the hot topics for this year's convention, including Braille literacy and
fair wages for workers with disabilities, are topics I feel strongly about,
so I couldn't help nodding in agreement every so often. The sessions were
very informative, and, just like after attending my first state convention
last year, I feel that I walked away with a better sense of what the NFB is
like, how it works, and what are the issues facing us today. It was pretty
amazing to see all this happen on a national level, and I think I finally
understand the true scope of the NFB.

The scholarship might have been what got me to my first NFB convention, but,
more important, it showed me what the NFB is about on a national level.
Convention was the most tiring yet exhilarating week of my life, and I can't
wait to go back in the future. I came to Orlando to accept an award, but I
left with information, inspiration, and friendships, which are far more
valuable to me. The $5,000 from the NFB, Google, and the Kurzweil Foundation
I received will be spent on my fall semester tuition and will quickly be
gone, but everything else will remain for a much longer time. I am already
starting to get more involved by joining national divisions and chairing
committees.  I am honored to have been selected to receive one of the
scholarships and to have received so much support from NABS, the musicians
group, the Music Education Network for the Visually Impaired, the Human
Services Division, the Community Service Group, and the Ohio affiliate. If I
ever get the opportunity to be a part of the Ohio delegation again, I will
certainly jump at the chance. The entire convention week was a fantastic
experience, and I hope to be able to go again in the future.

----------

Impressions of a First NFB Convention

by Joy Mistovich

Editor's note: Joy Mistovich lives in Youngstown. In July she attended her
first national convention, and it made quite an impact on her. This is what
she says:

Over the past few years I have read several articles about the NFB. During
my junior and senior years of high school I was invited to attend the Ohio
Youth Leadership Forum (YLF) and was honored to be selected. My contact with
blind or visually impaired friends was limited since I was the only person
in my graduating class of almost four hundred who was blind. A visually
impaired friend from YLF told me about the many advantages she had gained by
being part of this vast organization of the nation's blind, and she
described her experiences attending the NFB national convention. After
further research and her continuing persuasion, I decided to give attending
it serious consideration.

            I decided that I could either seize the opportunity or let it
slip through my fingers for yet another year. As the months passed, I
continued researching the NFB more thoroughly and combing pages of other
people's stories and descriptions of NFB programs, as well as reading books
about famous blind people. I was awed and inspired by their stories and
experiences and concluded that I had made the right choice. It was touching
to read about this organization that I had known so little about and the
members' support for their fellow Federationists as they scaled every
barrier with perseverance, determination, and nonviolence.

Then the actual week of convention was approaching at lightning speed;
nervous excitement pulsated through my entire body. The two-day drive seemed
to pass in a split second, and I was standing outside the hotel with crowds
of people gathering in the lobby with their canes and guide dogs. The only
words I can use to express this moment were "absolute shock." Never had I
seen so many blind people in one place, and this was only the beginning. For
me the week was packed with division meetings (blind academics, blind
educators, self-advocacy in higher education, and the National Association
of Blind Students meeting). Every session I attended was filled with new
acquaintances. Hearing their stories and gaining further insight from their
perspectives on the organization moved me tremendously. I learned several
tips from other blind and visually impaired professors about how to overcome
barriers in the classroom. Before the convention one of my questions was how
to facilitate conversation with students, since I might see their hands
raised but not know whose hand it was. A number of the blind professors
explained that, once I am in front of a group of students, they will be
inclined to respect me, and it is imperative to explain that my class will
be slightly different from what they are accustomed to with sighted
professors. But there is no reason why I can't facilitate class discussion
effectively.

These seminars boosted my confidence in my capability to master the most
effective strategies for teaching and advocating as a student and a
professor. Seeing so many educators and future educators in this session
made me feel less nervous about teaching in general.

Throughout secondary school and college I experienced discrimination and
lack of accommodation only a few times. To this point I have received an
excellent education. However, I still need to improve my orientation and
mobility skills. After the convention experience of seeing so many people
walking more confidently than I, I knew I must turn over a new leaf. I
realize that this is the time to work on success. I want to become more
independent, but I also learned from a presenter who read a snippet of Dr.
Jernigan's acclaimed speech, "The Nature of Independence," at the 1993
Dallas convention, that it is not shameful to ask for assistance, because
everyone-sighted or blind--asks others for various types of assistance from
time to time. I have never felt ashamed or rebellious when someone
approached me to ask if I needed help. In fact, I have always assumed that
people were acting out of kindness when they offered to assist. So the
assistance provided at the convention by UPS employees and family members
impressed me.

I now recognize that it is necessary for me to achieve a balance between
independence and self-confidence on the one hand and gracious acceptance of
help on the other in order to reach my full potential. I would like to
inspire each individual I encounter. At times during both my college years
and my master's program, I was sometimes uncomfortable and embarrassed when
using my cane. I knew other students did not understand the function of a
cane for a blind or visually impaired person, and I feared that they would
perceive the cane as a sign of weakness and incompetence, not as a tool to
ensure safety and build confidence. Since attending the convention, my
perception has changed.

The two highlights of convention week for me were the purchase of my first
NFB cane and later the exhilarating cheering of 2400 blind people who had
come for their own reasons but were now melded into a community. We must
encourage each other and educate sighted people, technology companies, and
unwilling administrators who adamantly discriminate against disabled workers
like those at Goodwill sheltered shops. These officials do not believe in
equal pay for equal work.

I have learned that, whatever future struggles I may encounter, I have the
network of the NFB within my reach. I am proud to carry and use an NFB cane,
and from this moment on, I will strive to be a leader within the NFB and a
role model for my future students to follow. Most important, I have learned
that the Federation is a modern- day civil rights organization, and it is my
duty to give back to this newfound network.

----------

Buckeye Briefs

Sign up for the Disability Jobs Summit offered by the Ohio Rehabilitation
Services Commission October 8 to 9, Columbus Convention Center. For
registration and additional information, please visit

<
<http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07e7r06btff803c
206&llr=rb76ilcab>
http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07e7r06btff803c2
06&llr=rb76ilcab>.

            The NFB Scrip Ohio fundraising program continues to be an easy
way to donate to the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio without
having to sell anything or take money out of your pocket. Simply by
purchasing gift cards for your favorite merchants and restaurants from
<www.shopwithscrip.com> you will donate a percentage of your purchase to the
Ohio affiliate.  To sign up, visit the website shown above and use
enrollment code 444D4FLD314L4.

            At 2:00 PM on Sunday, September 22, friends and family of Bob
Eschbach will gather at the Otterbein Retirement Community for a memorial
service. Everyone in the Federation family is warmly invited. Current plans
include remarks by President Maurer, among others.

Remember the NFB has now launched a new program that should allow every
affiliate to make a difference in funding our work. It is a vehicle donation
program which will allow us to accept car donations anywhere in the United
States. We have been turning car donations away because we have not had an
effective program for managing them and turning them into cash for the
organization. We have now solved this problem, and we need everyone's help
to take advantage of this opportunity.

The Federation has contracted with Vehicles for Charity to process car
donations. Besides cars, we also accept vans, RVs, motorcycles, dirt bikes,
boats, trucks, and tractors.  However, it is up to us to capture the donors
by promoting the fact that we can accept vehicle donations and finding
creative ways to get the word out.

Remind chapter and division members that the NFB is now accepting vehicle
donations. Encourage them to send all referrals to the page on our website
<www.nfb.org/vehicledonations> or to our toll-free vehicle donation number
(855) 659-9314.

The national office has developed text that is now on the front page of our
website. You can get fliers from the national office to include in merchant
mailings and delivery boxes and notices for posting on cash registers. If
you have questions or ideas about the program in Ohio, contact NFB-O First
Vice President Richard Payne, who is heading up the Ohio effort. His contact
information is (937) 298-6677 or < <mailto:rchpay7 at sbcglobal.net>
rchpay7 at sbcglobal.net.>.

            We are delighted to report the following good news from Tiffany
Wild of the Ohio State University faculty:

We are extremely proud to tell you that the US Department of Education
Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Programs awarded the Ohio
State University Program in Visual Impairments a personnel preparation
grant.  OSU was one of only seven visual impairment programs funded
nationwide in this highly competitive grant process. This 1.25
million-dollar grant will provide training for thirty-five teachers to
become teachers of the blind and visually impaired over the next five years.
Tuition, mandatory software, and a small stipend will be awarded to each
teacher in this program.  In addition the grant will help to cover expenses
for adjunct faculty needed to assist in teaching courses in the program.

All OSU faculty would like to thank you for your letter of support for this
grant.  Thank you so much for your support of OSU students, faculty, and
staff. We are very excited about this opportunity to provide additional
teachers to the state of Ohio to help alleviate some of the teacher
shortages in the state. Applications can be found on the OSU website for the
department of teaching and learning. Please contact Dr. Tiffany Wild at
<wild.13 at osu.edu> or (614) 837-8322 for more information about this
opportunity.

            The Lorain County chapter will conduct its annual hike-a-thon on
October 5. We broke fundraising records for this event last year, and we are
hoping for a similar outcome this year.

The Miami Valley chapter had a busy spring. In April we held an information
seminar which was well attended. We had speakers from the RTA, Goodwill, a
home health care provider, and the Dayton Metro Library. Four chapter
members spoke about technology, diabetes, Braille, and guide dogs. The
meeting was held in a public library, and lots of pertinent literature was
available for attendees.

In May we held our annual spaghetti dinner. This year we added lasagna to
the menu, and one chapter member created charming table decorations. This
was one of our most successful dinners in the past few years.

On September 14 we are planning our third tandem bike/picnic at Island Metro
Park. The event is lots of fun, and we enjoy being able to ride bikes again.

For Meet the Blind Month we are having our annual book fair/story
time/meeting at Barnes and Noble bookstore. We have an excellent Braille
reader read a story to the children, and we display Braille children's books
and other information for the shoppers. We also have Braille alphabet cards
and a guide dog coloring sheet for the children. After the story hour we
have lunch in the store deli and then have our October chapter meeting in
the restaurant for all to see.

The Diabetes Action Network (DAN) is planning a health screening at the
state convention in Dayton on Saturday, November 2. A breakfast meeting is
also under consideration,  but nothing is concrete at this time.

Sister Linda Maria Pelagio, SND, a longtime member of the NFB of Ohio from
Toledo, has returned to the Philippines as a missionary from the Sisters of
Notre Dame, Toledo Province. She was asked by a school for the blind in the
Philippines for help getting slates and styluses and canes for the students.
The school has slates and styluses but could use more. When a student
graduates, the slate and stylus he or she used at school must remain there.
After graduation students do not have any means of writing. At this time
forty-three students attend this very small rural school. Colleen Roth has
asked the At-Large Chapter and anyone else she can think of to donate money
or slates and styluses for the students. She hopes that we can give a slate
and stylus to all students for their very own when they graduate. She will
be ordering the slates and styluses from the Independence Market to be
mailed directly to the Philippines. We will order canes when we find out
what size canes are needed. Anyone who would like to help should contact
Colleen at 1912 Tracy Rd., Northwood, Ohio 43619-1307. Her phone number is
(419) 661-9171, and her email address is < <mailto:n8tnv at att.net>
n8tnv at att.net>.

The At-Large Chapter will be selling raffle tickets for a split-the-pot
raffle as first prize. We will also have a second prize as we did last year.
This prize will be announced at the convention. The tickets will cost $1
each or six for $5.

-----------

Activities Calendar

September 21, deadline for Gavel Award reports and award nominations

September 21, board of directors meeting

September 22, memorial service for Bob Eschbach

October, Meet the Blind Month

October 15, White Cane Safety Day

November 1, beginning of the Braille Readers Are Leaders contest

November 1-3, National Federation of the Blind of Ohio annual convention,
Wyndham Garden Dayton South Hotel in Miamisburg

November 29 and 30, national board of directors meeting

November 29-December 2, NFB national online auction

December 1, deadline for expressing interest in Washington seminar

January 27-30, Washington Seminar

-----------

2013 Convention Preregistration

Wyndham Garden Dayton South Hotel

31 Prestige Plaza Drive, Miamisburg November 1 - November 3

            Please complete and return this form by October 24, even if
someone else is reserving a room for you. Mail the completed form and check
made payable to NFB of Ohio for registration and meal reservations to P.O.
Box 82055, Columbus, OH  43202.  Preconvention rates are dependent on
receipt of payment before the convention.  If you are preregistering and
buying tickets for others, on the back of this form please list their names
as they should appear on name tags. All costs will be higher if you register
at the convention. Ticketed activities are listed below. Indicate the number
of reservations for each event.

Saturday NAPUB Breakfast: $13 ($16 at the door) ________
$_______________

how many?

Saturday boxed lunch: $18 ($20 at the door)

     Mark the number of lunches ordered for each activity:

_____Parent(s)  _____Senior(s)   _____ Ohio Association Of Guide Dog Users
$_______________

Banquet: $30 _____ _____

                 ($35 at the door)

Convention registration prior to convention: $15            _________
$_______________

                 ($25 at the door)
how many?

Total check enclosed:

Registrations or meal orders without payment will not be valid.

I wish to make a donation (always appreciated) of $____________ to the
National Federation of the Blind of Ohio. My check is enclosed. (Make check
payable to the NFB of Ohio.)