[Ohio-talk] Interesting Read

Colleen Roth n8tnv at att.net
Tue Apr 8 19:52:52 UTC 2014

Hi Marianne,
Unfortunately some parents do not know how to advocate for their children or for themselves for that matter.
It is not up to the college or university to teach this skill.
Are we coddling students so much in the Public School and doing so much for some of them that they do not know how to advocate for themselves? I know that some School Districts do not help students enough but some Districts do so much for the student and there is an ever-present Paraprofessional there meeting every need.
I am not talking about every district or every student.
I would like to see students learn how to talk to their Teachers and explain certain needs to them.
For example, if a teacher talks as they write this would help not just the blind student but all students who learn more by listening.
I think students should be taught to take notes for themselves and do this in high school and college.
Admittedly there are some things which would be better relayed via a handout.
I would imagine that when you take your own notes you would write down the things you would want to remember. A scribe would write down what they thought was important or worth remembering.
In the real world after college you will not have someone to take notes for you.
I think that students should take the responsibility of meeting with their teachers before a new semester begins if possible.
They should also try to get any materials ahead of time for the new semester so they can start studying on break before that semester.
Colleen Roth