[Ohio-talk] OABS raffle information

Kaiti Shelton kaiti.shelton at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 04:21:58 UTC 2014

Hello all,

As you may know, the Ohio Association of Blind Students will be
conducting a raffle this year.  Unfortunately, due to some
difficulties within our board which were out of most of our control,
we are delayed in starting the fundraiser according to schedule.  Here
is what you all need to know.

1.  We are still going to go on as planned, with dates being the only
change.  Also, 50 percent of our proceeds will still be given to the
affiliate to support the 2014 Bell program.
2.  The structure of the raffle will actually be slightly different,
not because of a failure anywhere, but because chapters were more
generous in sending donated gift cards than we had anticipated.  The
parents division held multiple rounds of raffles in the past, and
because we have so much in gift cards we think it would be wise to
spread the wealth and have tiered drawings.  Thank you to those
chapters who sent gift cards, and a special thank you to those who
acquired the cards using scrip.
3.  Winners of the raffles will be announced by either myself, or our
newly elected treasurer and fundraising committee chair, Emily
Pennington, over Ohio Talk.
5.  You can send checks effective immediately, and soon will also have
the option to pay electronically using your computer.

I know there was a little confusion about how the fundraiser will
work, so here is what I hope will be a clearer explanation.
If you wish to buy tickets (which are $1 for 1 and $5 for 6), you can
send a check with the allotted amount.  The Cincinnati chapter will be
acting as the fiscal agent for OABS business (since Emily is also the
chapter's treasurer), until she and I can set up an account after May
2nd.  Checks can be made out to NFB Cincinnati Chapter, with OABS
Raffle in the memo line.  Once Emily and I have our OABS account set
up, those funds from the subsidiary will be transferred.
When you send your check (or pay online once that is set up), please
also send Emily an email letting her know to expect your check, and
the amount of money you have paid.  This way she can keep track of who
has bought various amounts of tickets in a proactive fashion and keep
track of who purchased what.  Her email address is
emilypennington at fuse.net.  Emily will respond to let you know your
email has been received, and also when she has received your check/saw
your online payment go through the to the account.
We will keep track of who has purchased tickets, and how many they
have purchased electronically, and will create physical tickets
according to our records before each drawing.  If you are selected as
a winner you will be contacted offlist after the announcement has been
made over Ohio talk so your prize can be mailed to you.