[Ohio-talk] Buckeye Update

Eric Duffy peduffy63 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 14:44:34 UTC 2014

National Federation of the Blind of Ohio Buckeye Update
Saturday, August 9, 2014

It's a great time to be a member of the National Federation of the Blind and the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio. There is much to be proud of and much to look forward to.

The 2014 BELL Program is behind us. It was really a great one. We had six students, and a terrific group of volunteers. Four of our kids were repeat participants, and we had two new ones who were very bright capable kids. You will hear more about this program in the next issue of the Buckeye Bulletin and at the convention,but I want to say thank you to each and everyone who helped to make it happen. I am extremely thankful to those who unselfishly gave two weeks of their lives to BELL and the kids. But we couldn't have made it happen without those of you who helped to raise money and Braille materials.

On Monday evening at 8:00 PM., we will have a program wrap up call. This call is only for those who were program staff this year. The number to call is (605) 475-4875. Use access code 201909 followed by the pound sign.

We must now find a way to grow BELL in Ohio. We can do this in one of two ways. We can create a residential program making it available to kids from around the state, or we can bring the program to another Ohio city.  I am open to either option. Therefore, I invite chapter presidents who want to bring BELL to their city to a conference call on Monday, August 18 at 8:00 PM. Presidents talk to your members and see what the interest level is. Please use our usual conference call number (605) 475-4875. The fact that this call is taking place does not mean we will expand BELL to another city. It simply means I am trying to gage the interest and ability of another area of the state to support a program.

On July 17, I sent a memo to chapter and division presidents asking that you send me the most updated membership list that you can. This year I have asked that you create a brand new list to be added to the data base. I asked that the list be emailed to me by August 17. I have not received a single list. Please get your list together and send it to me.

I join JW in reminding you to get your chapter or division report to the awards Committee. This includes nominations for the awards we give.

Last month I told you that we have created the 75 campaign fund. This is a fund we will use to get a minimum of 75 people to our 75th convention in Orlando next summer. I said it is important that we raise money for this campaign without neglecting our general operating fund. As I try to lead by example, I contributed $75 to the campaign, and I said that I would equal or better that contribution to the general fund. Last week I sent Sherry $100 for the general fund. What chapter, division, or individual will meet or beat what I have done?

During a special meeting of the Board of Directors on July 17, the Board voted to bring Art Schreiber to our convention to help us raise funds by presenting on the time he spent with the Beatles during their first tour in America. This is the fiftieth anniversary  of the tour. We have engaged the John Schwab Band to help us with the fund raiser. This band has good name recognition in the Central Ohio area. John Schwab is the lead singer in the Mcguffey Lane Band, but they are not in our price range this year.

We have also said we are going to have a Not So Silent Auction. This means that we all have to find high quality auction items. Please begin working on this now.

I am pleased to tell you that Dr. Maurer will be our National Representative this year. We are fortunate to have him. He will add an element of excitement to our convention.

Please get newsletter articles and information about chapter and division activities to Barbara Pierce by August 15. It is important that we get this issue of the newsletter out the door as soon as possible, because this is the convention issue.

The Fall Board meeting will be at our convention hotel in Columbus on September 20 starting at 10:00 AM. All are invited and welcome to attend.

I will be traveling to Washington and Baltimore in Early September. President Riccobono has asked me to attend an Audio Committee meeting for the National Library Service. From there I will go to a meeting for affiliate presidents and treasures at the Jernigan Institute. I will fly out of Columbus very early in the morning On September 9, in order to spend some time on Capital Hill visiting members of the Ohio Congressional delegation. We need to see if we can garner more Ohio support for our legislative initatives.

There is much to be done in the Federation. Do what you can to build the organization, and I will do the same.