[Ohio-talk] Dayton airport

Cheryl Fischer c16a19f at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 2 22:48:27 UTC 2014

I've experienced helpers at various airports who wanted me to sit in a
wheelchair. Most became flustered when I refused.

I usually say "I've been sitting a lot today and will be sitting even longer
once I get in the plane, so I really need to walk."

One airport employee explained that the reason they seemed anxious and
needed me to get in the chair was because they were responsible for the
wheelchair, and so they couldn't leave it behind. I suggested that we put my
bags in the chair and that I would follow by holding onto their elbow while
they pushed the wheelchair along. This worked out fine.

I recall one time that I gave in and allowed myself to be pushed to my
destination in a wheelchair. I don't remember the details, but I think it
was a situation where I felt that it would be cruel to give this particular
airport helper a hard time.

Cheryl