[Ohio-talk] congradulations Deborah

smartin494 at roadrunner.com smartin494 at roadrunner.com
Fri Dec 19 21:44:00 UTC 2014


---- ohio-talk-request at nfbnet.org wrote: 
> Send Ohio-talk mailing list submissions to
> 	ohio-talk at nfbnet.org
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	ohio-talk-request at nfbnet.org
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	ohio-talk-owner at nfbnet.org
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Ohio-talk digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>    1. Re: BSVI supervisor (C Tolle)
>    2. Congratulations Deborah (Eric Duffy)
>    3. Re: Congratulations Deborah (Aleeha Dudley)
>    4. Re: Congratulations Deborah (Sheri)
>    5. The Weekly Report From The "drive For 75" Campaign	Committee
>       (Smith, JW)
>    6. Re: presentation idea (Marianne Denning)
>    7. Re: Congratulations Deborah (Cheryl Fields)
>    8. Malley's Chocolates Check (mzavoli at roadrunner.com)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 08:25:27 -0500
> From: C Tolle <tollebooth at yahoo.com>
> To: Marianne Denning <marianne at denningweb.com>,	NFB of Ohio
> 	Announcement and Discussion List <ohio-talk at nfbnet.org>
> Subject: Re: [Ohio-talk] BSVI supervisor
> Message-ID: <D8D06149-3BC6-46EC-B451-6A908E61CBB7 at yahoo.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset=us-ascii
> 
> Send me a personal message and tell me the name of the supervisor involved I have experience with most BSB supervisors and can tell you this sounds like one in particular who can be a bit rough to deal with. Marianne is right. Pick your battles, pick them wisely, commit to your success through them and then dig in.
> 
> tollebooth
> 513-439-7931
> 
> Note: this message was created using dictation on an iOS device.
> 
> > On Dec 17, 2014, at 11:58 PM, Marianne Denning via Ohio-talk <ohio-talk at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> > 
> > Kaiti, as you begin your career you will quickly learn there are
> > things you must do because someone else wants them.  It is very
> > frustrating and I understand what you are saying.  I will advise you
> > to carefully pick the battles you fight.  Sometimes, if you cooperate
> > on the stupid unimportant things you will get more cooperation on the
> > major issues.  If you decide this is your battle then determine what
> > you want the outcome to be and negotiate with your counselor.
> > 
> >> On 12/17/14, Kaiti Shelton via Ohio-talk <ohio-talk at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >> 
> >> I'm writing with a concern that has just come to my attention.  I have
> >> had the same counselor since last year, when the VRP3 program died
> >> out.  He's been very reasonable with me this entire time, and is the
> >> second person in the system that I've met who has said, "These monthly
> >> trainee forms, semesterly interviews, etc are repetitive).  We had the
> >> agreement that I wouldn't need to do the monthly trainee forms because
> >> my grades would show my progress anyway, and I turn in transcripts so
> >> it is obvious if I drop or add classes.
> >> 
> >> However, now my counselor wants this form.  He said that he needs it
> >> because his supervisor will not sign off on the authorization for next
> >> semester's bill until there is some way, in her mind, that she can see
> >> my progress.  There are a few problems here; first, UD is still in
> >> session so grades are not due yet, and they are not due until after
> >> the deadline for the bill.  Second, I emailed my billing statement to
> >> my counselor about a month ago when I first got it, and he's just now
> >> telling me that this form needs to be done because she said so.
> >> 
> >> This is the same woman who messed up the Summer Youth Work Experience
> >> program at Clovernook.  After Emily and I did it this summer as
> >> college students, she told Clovernook's staff that the state would no
> >> longer support College students in this program.  Even though the
> >> program is for high school as well as college students and Clovernook
> >> makes that clear, and there were only 2 high school students and 3 of
> >> us at college age in the program.  It doesn't really matter because
> >> Clovernook has said they may take up the bill and extend internship
> >> opportunities to Emily and I anyway because they liked us this past
> >> summer, but I don't think that made BSVI happy to see Clovernook go
> >> above their heads.
> >> 
> >> This woman also has a personal issue with my case, which I found out
> >> about this summer.  From what I understand, my financial calculations
> >> are different because, with my major being so obscure, I do not have
> >> the choice of even going to my closest low-cost college because the
> >> program isn't offered there.  Michael calculated my cost by pulling
> >> the schools in Ohio that offer music therapy degrees together, and
> >> finding which one of those had the lowest tuition cost.  It wouldn't
> >> fully cover UD by any means, but this woman was just furious that I
> >> had different circumstances.  UD also charges one lump sum and doesn't
> >> break down costs individually on their bill, so when my housing
> >> changed in July, I tried to call my counselor to ask what I should do
> >> about the slight difference.  It ended up not even being an issue, but
> >> I had to speak to the supervisor because my counselor was out of the
> >> office.  She said in no uncertain terms that she did not agree with my
> >> counselor, and I was "Lucky to have someone who would bend the rules
> >> for me."  Legally, when you look at it, my counselor did what he was
> >> supposed to do.  This woman also had no idea what I was even studying,
> >> or that it was such a rare major.  She told me I should be at UC, and
> >> didn't seem to believe me when I said that my major wasn't offered
> >> there.  It is true that I don't get the same as everyone else, but I
> >> also don't have the choices in schools that everyone else does or the
> >> versatility to just go where I want for my training.
> >> 
> >> Maybe all this finals studying has made me a bit cynical, but from the
> >> past several months and my dealings with her, it seems like she's got
> >> something against the college students she's only in the past year had
> >> to deal with.  I see her as a supervisor that is out of touch with the
> >> needs of this particular consumer group, and one of the toughest
> >> people in the system I've personally had to work with.  So, I'm not
> >> even quite sure what I can do.  I've filled out the trainee form and
> >> plan on sending it to Michael, but I also do not think it will be
> >> well-received when she sees almost all of my courses say, "Not yet
> >> released" under the grade column, and I have no answer for the updated
> >> GPA.  I'm really worried their going to pay this bill late, and I've
> >> already had issues last year where BSVI dropped the ball and didn't
> >> pay for my tuition.  It's a lot of hassle for me while I'm in classes,
> >> and a lot of hassle for the bursar, just because this woman doesn't
> >> know what she's talking about and is running amuck at least as far as
> >> I can tell.
> >> --
> >> Kaiti Shelton
> >> University of Dayton 2016.
> >> Music Therapy, Psychology, Philosophy
> >> President, Ohio Association of Blind Students
> >> Sigma Alpha Iota-Delta Sigma
> >> 
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> Ohio-talk mailing list
> >> Ohio-talk at nfbnet.org
> >> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org
> >> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for
> >> Ohio-talk:
> >> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org/marianne%40denningweb.com
> >> 
> > 
> > 
> > -- 
> > Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
> > Teacher of students who are blind or visually impaired
> > (513) 607-6053
> > 
> > _______________________________________________
> > Ohio-talk mailing list
> > Ohio-talk at nfbnet.org
> > http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org
> > To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for Ohio-talk:
> > http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org/tollebooth%40yahoo.com
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 08:50:46 -0500
> From: Eric Duffy <peduffy63 at gmail.com>
> To: NFB of Ohio Announcement and Discussion List
> 	<ohio-talk at nfbnet.org>
> Subject: [Ohio-talk] Congratulations Deborah
> Message-ID: <FE9FCDD2-F415-4F9C-AD8D-3E9F3DD2BBDB at gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset=utf-8
> 
> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>  
> CONTACT:
> Chris Danielsen
> Director of Public Relations
> National Federation of the Blind
> (410) 659-9314, extension 2330
> (410) 262-1281 (Cell)
> cdanielsen at nfb.org <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>
>  
> National Federation of the Blind Announces Winners
> of 2014 Onkyo Braille Essay Contest
>  
> Competition Encourages Braille Usage Among the Blind
>  
> Baltimore, Maryland (December 17, 2014): The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), <http://www.nfb.org/> the oldest and largest organization of blind people in the United States, is proud to announce the winners of the 2014 Onkyo Braille Essay Contest. The National Federation of the Blind once again administered the Onkyo Braille Literacy Essay Contest on behalf of the North American/Caribbean Region of the World Blind Union. The essay contest, sponsored by Onkyo Corporation, a Japanese consumer electronics manufacturer, and the Braille Mainichi, part of the Mainichi Newspaper Company in Japan, was created to promote Braille literacy and to encourage the sharing of social and cultural information among blind and visually impaired persons.
>  
> The essays were required to be written in Braille and to pertain either to how the individual gains knowledge or independence through Braille or to an individual concept about world peace from the viewpoint of persons with disabilities. There were two groups of competitors: a junior category for persons up to age twenty-five and a senior category for persons age twenty-six or over. Each winner received a substantial cash prize, a plaque, and other gifts from the Onkyo Corporation.
>  
> Mark Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said: ?We are very pleased to continue to be a part of this important contest. There can be no doubt that the ability to read and write Braille competently and efficiently is the key to education, employment, and success for the blind. Despite the undisputed value of Braille, however, only about 10 percent of blind children in the United States are learning it. We congratulate the contest winners and commend them for demonstrating through their essays the way Braille allows them to live the lives they want, and also for raising awareness of the importance of Braille literacy in their everyday lives.?
>  
> The seven winners from the North America/Caribbean Region were as follows:
>  
> OTSUKI PRIZE
> Helen Kobek, Massachusetts, USA
>  
> EXCELLENT WORK AWARD, SENIOR
> Deborah Kendrick, Ohio, USA
>  
> EXCELLENT WORK AWARD, JUNIOR
> Kristen Steele, Iowa, USA
>  
> FINE WORK AWARD, SENIOR
> Penny MacPherson, Florida, USA
> Thea Ramsay, Ontario, Canada
>  
> FINE WORK AWARD, JUNIOR
> Amy Albin, New Jersey, USA
> Lindsay Kerr, California, USA
>  
> The National Federation of the Blind encouraged all countries in the North America Caribbean Region to participate in the Onkyo Braille Essay Contest. Essays were submitted from the United States and Canada.
>  
>  
> ###
>  
>  
> About the National Federation of the Blind
>  
> The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 09:21:19 -0500
> From: Aleeha Dudley <blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com>
> To: Eric Duffy <peduffy63 at gmail.com>,	NFB of Ohio Announcement and
> 	Discussion List <ohio-talk at nfbnet.org>
> Subject: Re: [Ohio-talk] Congratulations Deborah
> Message-ID: <EFC87087-BCCB-4D32-968D-1FCC584E4755 at gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset=utf-8
> 
> Way to go Deborah!! Congratulations!! B
> 
> Aleeha Dudley and seeing eye dog Dallas 
> Vice President, Ohio Association of blind students
> Blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com
> "The wind of Heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears." Arabian proverb 
>  
> Sent from my iPhone
> 
> > On Dec 18, 2014, at 8:50 AM, Eric Duffy via Ohio-talk <ohio-talk at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> > 
> > FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
> > 
> > CONTACT:
> > Chris Danielsen
> > Director of Public Relations
> > National Federation of the Blind
> > (410) 659-9314, extension 2330
> > (410) 262-1281 (Cell)
> > cdanielsen at nfb.org <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>
> > 
> > National Federation of the Blind Announces Winners
> > of 2014 Onkyo Braille Essay Contest
> > 
> > Competition Encourages Braille Usage Among the Blind
> > 
> > Baltimore, Maryland (December 17, 2014): The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), <http://www.nfb.org/> the oldest and largest organization of blind people in the United States, is proud to announce the winners of the 2014 Onkyo Braille Essay Contest. The National Federation of the Blind once again administered the Onkyo Braille Literacy Essay Contest on behalf of the North American/Caribbean Region of the World Blind Union. The essay contest, sponsored by Onkyo Corporation, a Japanese consumer electronics manufacturer, and the Braille Mainichi, part of the Mainichi Newspaper Company in Japan, was created to promote Braille literacy and to encourage the sharing of social and cultural information among blind and visually impaired persons.
> > 
> > The essays were required to be written in Braille and to pertain either to how the individual gains knowledge or independence through Braille or to an individual concept about world peace from the viewpoint of persons with disabilities. There were two groups of competitors: a junior category for persons up to age twenty-five and a senior category for persons age twenty-six or over. Each winner received a substantial cash prize, a plaque, and other gifts from the Onkyo Corporation.
> > 
> > Mark Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said: ?We are very pleased to continue to be a part of this important contest. There can be no doubt that the ability to read and write Braille competently and efficiently is the key to education, employment, and success for the blind. Despite the undisputed value of Braille, however, only about 10 percent of blind children in the United States are learning it. We congratulate the contest winners and commend them for demonstrating through their essays the way Braille allows them to live the lives they want, and also for raising awareness of the importance of Braille literacy in their everyday lives.?
> > 
> > The seven winners from the North America/Caribbean Region were as follows:
> > 
> > OTSUKI PRIZE
> > Helen Kobek, Massachusetts, USA
> > 
> > EXCELLENT WORK AWARD, SENIOR
> > Deborah Kendrick, Ohio, USA
> > 
> > EXCELLENT WORK AWARD, JUNIOR
> > Kristen Steele, Iowa, USA
> > 
> > FINE WORK AWARD, SENIOR
> > Penny MacPherson, Florida, USA
> > Thea Ramsay, Ontario, Canada
> > 
> > FINE WORK AWARD, JUNIOR
> > Amy Albin, New Jersey, USA
> > Lindsay Kerr, California, USA
> > 
> > The National Federation of the Blind encouraged all countries in the North America Caribbean Region to participate in the Onkyo Braille Essay Contest. Essays were submitted from the United States and Canada.
> > 
> > 
> > ###
> > 
> > 
> > About the National Federation of the Blind
> > 
> > The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.
> > _______________________________________________
> > Ohio-talk mailing list
> > Ohio-talk at nfbnet.org
> > http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org
> > To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for Ohio-talk:
> > http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org/blindcowgirl1993%40gmail.com
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 12:48:56 -0500
> From: "Sheri" <salbers1 at twc.com>
> To: "'Eric Duffy'" <peduffy63 at gmail.com>,	"'NFB of Ohio Announcement
> 	and Discussion List'" <ohio-talk at nfbnet.org>
> Subject: Re: [Ohio-talk] Congratulations Deborah
> Message-ID: <00c301d01aea$e555cfa0$b0016ee0$@twc.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="utf-8"
> 
> Great job, Deborah! Where can we read your essay?
> Sheri Albers
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ohio-talk [mailto:ohio-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Eric Duffy via Ohio-talk
> Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2014 8:51 AM
> To: NFB of Ohio Announcement and Discussion List
> Subject: [Ohio-talk] Congratulations Deborah
> 
> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>  
> CONTACT:
> Chris Danielsen
> Director of Public Relations
> National Federation of the Blind
> (410) 659-9314, extension 2330
> (410) 262-1281 (Cell)
> cdanielsen at nfb.org <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>
>  
> National Federation of the Blind Announces Winners of 2014 Onkyo Braille Essay Contest
>  
> Competition Encourages Braille Usage Among the Blind
>  
> Baltimore, Maryland (December 17, 2014): The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), <http://www.nfb.org/> the oldest and largest organization of blind people in the United States, is proud to announce the winners of the 2014 Onkyo Braille Essay Contest. The National Federation of the Blind once again administered the Onkyo Braille Literacy Essay Contest on behalf of the North American/Caribbean Region of the World Blind Union. The essay contest, sponsored by Onkyo Corporation, a Japanese consumer electronics manufacturer, and the Braille Mainichi, part of the Mainichi Newspaper Company in Japan, was created to promote Braille literacy and to encourage the sharing of social and cultural information among blind and visually impaired persons.
>  
> The essays were required to be written in Braille and to pertain either to how the individual gains knowledge or independence through Braille or to an individual concept about world peace from the viewpoint of persons with disabilities. There were two groups of competitors: a junior category for persons up to age twenty-five and a senior category for persons age twenty-six or over. Each winner received a substantial cash prize, a plaque, and other gifts from the Onkyo Corporation.
>  
> Mark Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said: ?We are very pleased to continue to be a part of this important contest. There can be no doubt that the ability to read and write Braille competently and efficiently is the key to education, employment, and success for the blind. Despite the undisputed value of Braille, however, only about 10 percent of blind children in the United States are learning it. We congratulate the contest winners and commend them for demonstrating through their essays the way Braille allows them to live the lives they want, and also for raising awareness of the importance of Braille literacy in their everyday lives.?
>  
> The seven winners from the North America/Caribbean Region were as follows:
>  
> OTSUKI PRIZE
> Helen Kobek, Massachusetts, USA
>  
> EXCELLENT WORK AWARD, SENIOR
> Deborah Kendrick, Ohio, USA
>  
> EXCELLENT WORK AWARD, JUNIOR
> Kristen Steele, Iowa, USA
>  
> FINE WORK AWARD, SENIOR
> Penny MacPherson, Florida, USA
> Thea Ramsay, Ontario, Canada
>  
> FINE WORK AWARD, JUNIOR
> Amy Albin, New Jersey, USA
> Lindsay Kerr, California, USA
>  
> The National Federation of the Blind encouraged all countries in the North America Caribbean Region to participate in the Onkyo Braille Essay Contest. Essays were submitted from the United States and Canada.
>  
>  
> ###
>  
>  
> About the National Federation of the Blind
>  
> The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.
> _______________________________________________
> Ohio-talk mailing list
> Ohio-talk at nfbnet.org
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org
> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for Ohio-talk:
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org/salbers1%40twc.com
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 14:31:33 -0500
> From: "Smith, JW" <smithj at ohio.edu>
> To: "NFB of Ohio Announcement and Discussion List
> 	(ohio-talk at nfbnet.org)"	<ohio-talk at nfbnet.org>,
> 	"mmcclain at pentaflex.com" <mmcclain at pentaflex.com>, 	Mike Andy
> 	<mikeandy65 at gmail.com>, "antionette119 at aol.com"
> 	<antionette119 at aol.com>, "wmitchell at l2tpands.com"
> 	<wmitchell at l2tpands.com>
> Subject: [Ohio-talk] The Weekly Report From The "drive For 75"
> 	Campaign	Committee
> Message-ID:
> 	<A62CEF8435EE6143A82C8DAFEB0CF7467F00BFCFCC at EXMAIL1.ohio.edu>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> Dear NFBO Family, Friends and Colleagues:
> 
> Although I got back from New York at about 1 last night I remain excited about our campaign development to this point.
> 
> We are yet generating idea's and I have know doubt that many of them will result in tangible and profitable outcomes for our campaign goals.
> 
> You should hear from Sheri Albers  about one of these efforts in the Cincinnati area very soon and that will probably be followed by a similar announcement from Mike Anderson in the Dayton area.
> 
> I would like any of you in this audience to join us in this effort as well by sending out a personal correspondence to your friends, family members and colleagues as I will be doing at the start of the New Year.
> 
> If you are interested in seeing the copy of the letter that I will be sending out to those that know me best, please don't hesitate to contact me at smithj at ohio.edu<mailto:smithj at ohio.edu> and request that I send it to you with the understanding that you will use it to formulate your own such letter seeking support for our campaign.
> 
> I am sorry to have to report that my recruiting activities have not been successful as of yet in the Toledo area in terms of getting another Committee participant to help Colleen Roth but as I told her in my team update earlier today, we will still be successful in that area I promise!
> 
> Finally, this is a very special time of year for me and I'm sure for most of you so I may write briefly one more time before the end of the year and I will definitely do so if I have significant campaign information for you but otherwise, I will be enjoying my family and friends and celebrating Christmas and taking advantage of some very necessary rest and relaxation.
> 
> I do want too wish each of you HAPPY HOLIDAYS and a very prosperous New Year.
> 
> Our Committee will have a significant Conference call early in January and it is my hope that shourtly after that call I will be able to announce some campaign activities and will be able to seek your support both in supporting those events and helping us promote them as well in your specific area's of the state.
> 
> Once again, don't hesitate to contact me by calling my cell phone number wich is 740.707.5114 or by emailing me at smithj at ohio.edu<mailto:smithj at ohio.edu> if you have any questions, concerns or constructive input concerning our campaign goals.
> 
> Jw
> 
> Dr. JW Smith
> Associate Professor
> School of Communication Studies
> Lasher Hall, Rm. 112
> Athens, OH 45701
> smithj at ohio.edu<mailto:smithj at ohio.edu>
> T: 740-593-4838
> F: 740-593-4810
> 
> *Ask me about the newly revised Ohio Fellows Program or visit http://www.ohio.edu/univcollege/ohiofellows.cfm
> 
> "Regarding the past, change what you can, and can what you can't."
> "Our minds are like parachutes. They work best when they are open."
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 16:23:31 -0500
> From: Marianne Denning <marianne at denningweb.com>
> To: Kaiti Shelton <kaiti.shelton at gmail.com>, 	NFB of Ohio Announcement
> 	and Discussion List <ohio-talk at nfbnet.org>
> Subject: Re: [Ohio-talk] presentation idea
> Message-ID:
> 	<CANZu-Jj_Wo-p+7jrNP1XA7jueXXzozOSTd4ewF_TQ8B+v4_gXw at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
> 
> Kaiti, that could be a good idea but I thought this was aimed at
> people who don't have a background in visual impairment.
> 
> On 12/14/14, Kaiti Shelton via Ohio-talk <ohio-talk at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> > Marianne, Debbie, how well do you think this would be received by AER
> > for their convention next year?  It probably is something they need to
> > hear based on what you've both said to me about your personal
> > convention experiences.
> >
> > On 12/14/14, Kelsey Nicolay via Ohio-talk <ohio-talk at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >> A former college professor and I are writing a book chapter
> >> together about our experiences in the classroom.  We would like
> >> to do a presentation about our chapter somewhere in Ohio in 2015.
> >> I'm from Medina and she's from Ashland, so it would need to be
> >> within reasonable driving distance for both of us.  Does anyone
> >> have any suggestions on where we could do this sort of
> >> presentation? We want to do this to educate others about teaching
> >> blind students.  If you know of an event where this sort of
> >> presentation would be appropriate, if you could provide a contact
> >> phone number, email address, or both, that would be really
> >> helpful.
> >> Thank you,
> >> Kelsey Nicolay
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> Ohio-talk mailing list
> >> Ohio-talk at nfbnet.org
> >> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org
> >> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for
> >> Ohio-talk:
> >> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org/kaiti.shelton%40gmail.com
> >>
> >
> >
> > --
> > Kaiti Shelton
> > University of Dayton 2016.
> > Music Therapy, Psychology, Philosophy
> > President, Ohio Association of Blind Students
> > Sigma Alpha Iota-Delta Sigma
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Ohio-talk mailing list
> > Ohio-talk at nfbnet.org
> > http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org
> > To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for
> > Ohio-talk:
> > http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org/marianne%40denningweb.com
> >
> 
> 
> -- 
> Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
> Teacher of students who are blind or visually impaired
> (513) 607-6053
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 7
> Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 20:29:21 -0500
> From: "Cheryl Fields" <cherylelaine1957 at gmail.com>
> To: "'Eric Duffy'" <peduffy63 at gmail.com>,	"'NFB of Ohio Announcement
> 	and Discussion List'" <ohio-talk at nfbnet.org>
> Subject: Re: [Ohio-talk] Congratulations Deborah
> Message-ID: <00b101d01b2b$38dd3830$aa97a890$@gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="UTF-8"
> 
> Congratulations Deborah!
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ohio-talk [mailto:ohio-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Eric Duffy via Ohio-talk
> Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2014 8:51 AM
> To: NFB of Ohio Announcement and Discussion List
> Subject: [Ohio-talk] Congratulations Deborah
> 
> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>  
> CONTACT:
> Chris Danielsen
> Director of Public Relations
> National Federation of the Blind
> (410) 659-9314, extension 2330
> (410) 262-1281 (Cell)
> cdanielsen at nfb.org <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>
>  
> National Federation of the Blind Announces Winners of 2014 Onkyo Braille Essay Contest
>  
> Competition Encourages Braille Usage Among the Blind
>  
> Baltimore, Maryland (December 17, 2014): The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), <http://www.nfb.org/> the oldest and largest organization of blind people in the United States, is proud to announce the winners of the 2014 Onkyo Braille Essay Contest. The National Federation of the Blind once again administered the Onkyo Braille Literacy Essay Contest on behalf of the North American/Caribbean Region of the World Blind Union. The essay contest, sponsored by Onkyo Corporation, a Japanese consumer electronics manufacturer, and the Braille Mainichi, part of the Mainichi Newspaper Company in Japan, was created to promote Braille literacy and to encourage the sharing of social and cultural information among blind and visually impaired persons.
>  
> The essays were required to be written in Braille and to pertain either to how the individual gains knowledge or independence through Braille or to an individual concept about world peace from the viewpoint of persons with disabilities. There were two groups of competitors: a junior category for persons up to age twenty-five and a senior category for persons age twenty-six or over. Each winner received a substantial cash prize, a plaque, and other gifts from the Onkyo Corporation.
>  
> Mark Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said: ?We are very pleased to continue to be a part of this important contest. There can be no doubt that the ability to read and write Braille competently and efficiently is the key to education, employment, and success for the blind. Despite the undisputed value of Braille, however, only about 10 percent of blind children in the United States are learning it. We congratulate the contest winners and commend them for demonstrating through their essays the way Braille allows them to live the lives they want, and also for raising awareness of the importance of Braille literacy in their everyday lives.?
>  
> The seven winners from the North America/Caribbean Region were as follows:
>  
> OTSUKI PRIZE
> Helen Kobek, Massachusetts, USA
>  
> EXCELLENT WORK AWARD, SENIOR
> Deborah Kendrick, Ohio, USA
>  
> EXCELLENT WORK AWARD, JUNIOR
> Kristen Steele, Iowa, USA
>  
> FINE WORK AWARD, SENIOR
> Penny MacPherson, Florida, USA
> Thea Ramsay, Ontario, Canada
>  
> FINE WORK AWARD, JUNIOR
> Amy Albin, New Jersey, USA
> Lindsay Kerr, California, USA
>  
> The National Federation of the Blind encouraged all countries in the North America Caribbean Region to participate in the Onkyo Braille Essay Contest. Essays were submitted from the United States and Canada.
>  
>  
> ###
>  
>  
> About the National Federation of the Blind
>  
> The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.
> _______________________________________________
> Ohio-talk mailing list
> Ohio-talk at nfbnet.org
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org
> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for Ohio-talk:
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org/cherylelaine1957%40gmail.com
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 8
> Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 23:22:56 -0500
> From: <mzavoli at roadrunner.com>
> To: ohio-talk at nfbnet.org
> Subject: [Ohio-talk] Malley's Chocolates Check
> Message-ID: <20141219042257.8GJ5L.357406.root at dnvrco-web12>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
> 
> Hello Readers,
> 
> I asked Abby Vlensic, the executive director of the Malley's fundraising program, when to expect the profits check.  She replied:
> 
> "The profit checks will be cut mid to end of January. We always send them out around 30 days after the sale ends."
> 
> So there you have it.  I will inform you when the check will arrive and for how much.  It should be $1,032.67.  I forgot to ask her about the amount, and I'll either call her or e-mail her again about that.
> 
> In the meantime, Eric and all, enjoy your chocolates, and thank you for making this fundraiser a success.  It couldn't have happened without you.  You're great!
> 
> Milena Zavoli
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Subject: Digest Footer
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Ohio-talk mailing list
> Ohio-talk at nfbnet.org
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> End of Ohio-talk Digest, Vol 82, Issue 18
> *****************************************
Congradulations Debborah:

Way to go!

Shawn Martin



More information about the Ohio-talk mailing list