[Ohio-talk] Announcing Facebook Group for College-Bound Blind Students

Kaiti Shelton kaiti.shelton at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 17:58:55 UTC 2014

Hello all, please spread the word to anyone you feel could benefit.

A few months ago my roommate from the NFB scholarship program, Miso Kwak,
created a facebook group called "Pathway to Our Dream," for college-bound
high school students and those continuing to pursue higher education who are
blind.  The purpose of this group is to allow for discussion, the sharing of
resources specific to college entry, and to spread news about scholarship
opportunities.  Together, Miso and I are trying to help other students by
answering their questions about preparing for college and sharing our
experiences.  In addition to what we do on the group page for everyone to
see, we also make ourselves available to students who want individual help.
I am currently advising a high school senior on how to get accomodations for
her music department auditions, and I also recently helped another group
member write her first resume.

The group has grown from 20 to almost 150 members since Thanksgiving, and we
are excited to see so many students actively seeking scholarship resources
and advice.  Miso and I are hoping to add a blog and possibly other
components to the project as the growth demands.  We intend for this to
remain a project that is run by students for students, but that is what has
made it so successful thus far.

Please spread the word about this group to any student who could benefit
from membership.  All they need is a facebook account to join.  The mobile
version of the group, optimal for screenreaders, can be located at:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/639707646049109?refid=18

Thanks,

Kaiti Shelton

University of Dayton---2016

Music Therapy Major, Psychology Minor, Clarinet

Ohio Association of Blind Students, President

Advocates for Sexual Assault Prevention (ASAP), Vice President

NFB Community Service Group, Service Project Committee Chair

Sigma Alpha Iota-Delta Sigma, Usher Coordinator