[Ohio-talk] Disabilities and their portrayal

Kaiti Shelton kaiti.shelton at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 02:55:28 UTC 2014

Hi Lillie and all,

I will comment on the last point you made first, Lillie, then will circle
back because I feel that is an entirely different issue of even greater
significance.  What you describe is part of the concept of eugenics, which
is essentially the practice of choosing the traits of a fetus or whether or
not to keep it based on its traits.  There's a great movie called Gataca
(based on the As, Cs, Ts, and Gs, in DNA code), about this topic against a
fictional plot line that explains it pretty well.  Eugenics is really a
two-sided coin.  It can be very helpful if the information obtained through
prenatal testing is used for the appropriate reasons.  I'll use myself as an
example.  My eye condition is caused by a genetic fluke, and the doctors
still aren't sure what did it.  It isn't as simple as saying I have a
certain gene turned on, or my kids will have a 1 in 10 chance of inheriting
my condition.  I think when I'm older I would want to try to figure out if
my offspring would have similar issues, not because I would give them up in
any way if they did, but so I could gather the money and other things to
take care of them as best I could since I know my parents could have
benefitted from a little advanced notice in terms of money and things like
that.  Same thing for people who find out their child has, let's say, Downs
Syndrome.  If they have that issue identified before the baby is born and
begin setting aside funds for speech therapy and other things the child may
specifically need in addition to basic necessities, then there is nothing
wrong with that and the information is actually useful.  On the other hand,
the fear of genetecists is that in the future people will conduct prenatal
testing on test tube embrios and try to pick and choose the traits.  If
human science reaches a point where a geneticist can turn genes off and on
at the descression of a set of potential parents, then that would not be
right.

Abortion is another topic we will be talking about in this course, and I am
interested in seeing how that discussion will pan out.  I am not going to
say anything to UD about the catholic doctorin and the proceedings in my
class; I know it's ironic that such things would go on at a catholic
university, but I think the religion is very much irrelevant in this issue.
This type of conversation would be wrong if it were conducted at a public
university like Wright State, UC, or any other school.  Catholicism has
nothing to do with it, other than making the place for the conversation a
little stranger.  The bottom line is that there was false information in the
textbook, and false information in the class, and the hypothetical
discussion would have probably gone a completely different way had the real
information been provided.  "Mercy killing" might not have seemed as such
had the facts been presented.

As for the question of whether or not doctors have the grounds to make
ethical decisions, there is no doubt that they do every day.  In this case,
however, the parents asked the doctor to do it, and the question was should
they or should they not.  Most of the class said yes, because based on what
the book said the boy was emaciated and in chronic pain, and would not live
much more than a few painful years if nothing was done anyway.  I know this
is false, and the class would have probably answered very differently if
Johnny was depicted realistically.  Colleen brought up another point, and
one that I thought of in class as well.  If Johnny were unable to speak, who
is to say that he was also unable to comprehend what was going on around
him?  The book did not say he was in a vegetative state, or that he was
mentally impaired in any way, so now there are questions of autonomy and
parentonomy that come into play.  Another issue with this part of the
textbook and class example is that this issue runs a lot deeper than it is
made out to be.

Kaiti Shelton
University of Dayton---2016
Music Therapy Major, Psychology Minor, Clarinet
Ohio Association of Blind Students, President
NFB Community Service Group, Service Project Committee Chair
Sigma Alpha Iota-Delta Sigma