[Ohio-talk] Buckeye Update

Eric Duffy peduffy63 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 16:04:35 UTC 2014

National Federation of the Blind of Ohio Buckeye Update
June 6, 2014

I last wrote on Memorial Day weekend. Today is D. Day. Seventy years ago the United States was leading the way to liberate France and beginning the end of World War II. Today, we take much for granted and often times that includes our freedom. We in the National Federation of the blind once had to fight for the right to organize.
	Today we continue to fight for the right to live in the World. We fight for Braille, jobs, and more. Just minutes ago I had someone say,  I don’t think the Federation is really relevant in the lives of blind people anymore. Do you? I said it absolutely is. Perhaps more now than ever before.
	I have pasted in the body of this message and attached a form to be completed by those who wish to volunteer to help with the 2014 BELL Program. Everyone who wants to volunteer must complete  a form. We cannot have anyone on site who has not completed a form in advance so that it gets filed with the insurance company. It doesn’t matter how well I know you. Barbara and Shelbi will have to fill out forms if they want to volunteer. Give this form to anyone and everyone you know who wants to help. Please don’t ask me if you should give this form to this person or that one. If they want to volunteer give them the form. My preference is to have an electronic copy. If for some reason it cannot be completed that way, I will take a paper form. This is the second time I have included this form, and I am pleased to say that I have received several responses. The last day for submitting a form is Friday June 20.
	I hope you all are selling Jernigan drawing tickets, as well as  tickets for our $500 cash drawing. I sold the ten Jernigan fund tickets I had, and I have mailed Sherry a check for them.
	If you are not going to convention, and you want me to take ticket stubs, checks, or anything else, pleas make sure I have it by  June 28. I will be leaving for Orlando on June 30. I will check the mailbox for the last time on the 28th.
	Remember we are donating $200 in door prizes. We are asking chapters and divisions to help us offset this cost. Please send your contributions for this directly to Sherry Ruth.
	The Ohio caucus will be on the 4th of July at 8:15 AM., in salon 15. All salons are on the second floor of the hotel. It will last for an hour or less. When I mentioned this in the last update, someone asked if I was sure about the time. She said that’s awfully early, and it doesn’t give us much time. I agree that it is early, but it gives us an hour, and that’s all we should need. This day and time seemed to work out well for us last year. So put the information in your mind, calendar, or where-ever. Richard Payne and I will be there, and we hope you will be too.
	Here is the latest announcement about our Vehicle Donation Program: Attention vehicle donation drivers,

We have developed thirty and sixty second PSAs for the vehicle donation program featuring seven-year-old Raveena Ali. It would be good if you could contact radio stations and encourage them to play our PSAs. The link is http://digitalnewsrelease.com/?q=NFB_RadioPSAs.

Please send the link, not the files themselves, to radio stations. Sending the sound files as e-mail attachments may trigger spam filters and cause the stations not to receive the files. Plus, from the Web page the stations can choose the file format that they want and need.

We need your help to continue to rev up this program.

Honk Honk! Thanks for steering this program down the road to success.

Joanne
	I have talked with Disability Rights Ohio, and they would like to present at local chapter meetings this summer. I said that I would ask chapter presidents to contact them and set up a time for them to come to a meeting between now and August. We will also schedule a conference call on this topic some time in late August. Please read the be-lo information and work with DRO. They have important information about:
1.      Health Care Reform Implementation and Individuals with Disabilities – Disability Rights Ohio is a Navigator organization and is reaching out to individuals with disabilities and organizations that serve individuals with disabilities to educate and inform on how health care reform specifically impacts individuals with disabilities.  DRO provides presentations that cover basics about health care reform for people with disabilities, including information on new insurance rules, Medicaid Buy-In, Medicaid Expansion, and Health Insurance Exchanges, coverage options and how to Enroll in different programs.  DRO can also set up appointments for individuals to enroll.  If an organization is interested in learning more they can contact DRO at 800-858-3542 x135 dgray at disabilityrightsohio.org

2.      Voter Outreach and Education – Disability Rights Ohio is gearing up for Election Season by providing presentations to individuals with disabilities about voting rights and responsibilities.  If an organization would like to schedule a presentation, they can contact DRO at 800-858-3542 x135 or e-mail Danielle at dgray at disabilityrightsohio.org

Please contact them, and let them know that I asked you to do so. They are a  good partner of ours. Have a good weekend.

National Federation of The Blind of Ohio
BELL Volunteer Application Form

Name:
Address:
City, state, zip:
Home phone:
Cell phone:
Email Address:
Referred by:
Occupation:
Employer:
Education level: degree:
Skills, interests, hobbies:
Describe your experience working with the blind:
What experience do you have working with blind children?
Do you know Braille? If so, do you read by touch or by sight?
Have you been convicted of any crime in the past 10 years? If yes, please explain.
If accepted for volunteer service, what type of assignments would you prefer?
Why do you want to volunteer for this program?
What days are you available for service during the program July 21 through August 2?
Please list two business references:
Business references:
Name:
Address:
Phone:
Email address:
Name:
Address:
Phone:
Email address
Please list three personal references of people not related to you:
Name:
Address:
Phone:
Name: