[Ohio-talk] FW: TODAY: Sen. Harkin's Disability Plan - Social Media

Suzanne Turner smturner.234 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 16:21:26 UTC 2014

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Kelly Buckland" <kelly at ncil.org <mailto:kelly at ncil.org> >
Date: June 24, 2014 at 12:07:54 PM EDT
To: <ndla-general-list- at googlegroups.com <mailto:ndla-general-list- at googlegroups.com> >
Subject: FW: TODAY: Sen. Harkin's Disability Plan - Social Media

Hi Kelly,

I work for Senator Tom Harkin and wanted to reach out about today’s Senate roundtable on ensuring all people with disabilities have access to community living.

As you know, Sen. Harkin has long been a strong champion for people with disabilities and is hosting a HELP Committee roundtable on the 15th anniversary of the landmark Olmstead Supreme Court decision supporting the right to community living.

We’d love to have you join our social media push. Today’s roundtable will start at 2:30PM ET and will be viewable online at help.senate.gov.

We appreciate all the advocacy you do for people with disabilities and would love to have you help us get the word out on Sen. Harkin’s plan <http://www.help.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Community%20Integration%20Act%20-%20Bill%20Snapshot.pdf>  and this important issue via social media today. Here are the Twitter accounts to watch:

*       Senator Harkin: @SenatorHarkin <https://twitter.com/SenatorHarkin>  and @HELPCmteDems <https://twitter.com/HELPCmteDems>

If you aren't following us already, we encourage you to do so, so that you can stay up-to-date on our messaging.

Below are some sample tweets with our hashtag  <https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Olmstead15> #Olmstead15 to help get the ball rolling this morning:

*       It's been more than 15yrs since #Olmstead <https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Olmstead>  & too many #PWD <https://twitter.com/search?q=%23PWD>  lack independent living options. RT to support @SenatorHarkin <https://twitter.com/SenatorHarkin> 's plan to fix this.

*       People w/disabilities have a right to live in their community. @SenatorHarkin <https://twitter.com/SenatorHarkin>  plan protects that right goo.gl/rPeXjY <http://goo.gl/rPeXjY>   #Olmstead15 <https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Olmstead15>

*       Home and community-based care is not only what #PWD <https://twitter.com/search?q=%23PWD>  want, it also saves money. @SenatorHarkin <https://twitter.com/SenatorHarkin> 's plan: goo.gl/rPeXjY <http://goo.gl/rPeXjY>   #Olmstead15 <https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Olmstead15>

*       We need to honor #ADA <https://twitter.com/search?q=%23ADA>  by giving #PWD <https://twitter.com/search?q=%23PWD>  in institutions the option to live in their communities. RT to support @SenatorHarkin <https://twitter.com/SenatorHarkin>  plan. #Olmstead15 <https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Olmstead15>

*       Congress can and must do more to fulfill promise of independent living for all Americans with disabilities goo.gl/rPeXjY <http://goo.gl/rPeXjY>   #Olmstead15 <https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Olmstead15>

Let me know if you would be able to help with our push – we are happy to answer any questions or send any additional information. Thanks so much for all your help.

Sincerely,
Abraham

Abraham White | Deputy Press Secretary

U.S. Senate HELP Committee <http://www.help.senate.gov/>

Chairman Tom Harkin (D-IA)

202-224-9807

@SenatorHarkin <https://twitter.com/SenatorHarkin>  | @HELPCmteDems <https://twitter.com/HELPCmteDems>  |@abwhite7 <https://twitter.com/abwhite7>

--
The National Disability Leadership Alliance(NDLA) is a national cross-disability coalition that represents the authentic voice of people with disabilities. To subscribe to the list, send a request to gary8970 at gmail.com <mailto:gary8970 at gmail.com>
---