[Ohio-talk] BSVI Counselors

via Ohio-talk ohio-talk at nfbnet.org
Mon May 19 20:15:01 UTC 2014

Put a spring in your step!  Treat yourself to Malley's Chocolates.  They're irresistibly delicious!  Free Shipping on all orders of $60 or more to one address.
http://www.malleys.com/national-federation-of-the-blind-of-ohio#main  Hi Arlie and list viewers,

I agree with you 100%.  Many counselors don't understand what it means to be blind as they are not blind themselves.  They have never gone through mobility and Braille training.  They have no idea how blind people live independently.  They simply don't understand us and so, tend to treat us leither as medical models ar un need of psychological counseling.  After all, they probably think it's terrible to be blind  and we are in need of a surgeon who can restore our sight or a therapist who can help us cope.  I'm sure that most times, the therapist is not blind either.

Some BSVI counselors come across as being condescending and are in the habit of hand-holding their clients.  Many of them make up their wown rules as they go along.  If you don't do as they say, they'll either make it hard for you to get the necessary equipment to do your job or they will close your case, unless you go through some bureaucratic contortions just to satisfy them or their supervisor.

I must sound as though I'm ranting and raving, but I actually had a counselor who treated me that way.  She said she wanted to help me: She helped me all right, but on her own terms.

I finally told her to close my case, and I haven't been back to BSVI since.  Everytime I think about it, I am reminded of the bitter experience I faced.

Milena