[Ohio-talk] looking for advice

Debra Baker via Ohio-talk ohio-talk at nfbnet.org
Sat May 24 18:11:41 UTC 2014

Dear Nicole,

I am Debra Baker, totally blind and a retired teacher after 33 years working for Springfield City district in Springfield, Ohio public schools.  I had similar experiences during my tenure with Springfield City.  However, the injustices were not to do with accommodations refused on the part of the district.  Rather, they were job postings for which, in one case, I was the only one certified and qualified in my district.  Instead, they gave the job to a brand new hire, ignoring my seniority and certificate.  With the help of my uniserv rep through the Ohio Education Association and and the National Education Association, and with other attorneys in network through the union, I went to Ohio Civil Rights Commission, filed a complaint and won satisfaction.

I was not with the NFB at that time, though, perhaps with your situation, it would benefit you to contact NFB attorneys since your need for accommodation is right in line with our constant fight for equal opportunity and accessability.

I also took additional action each time I filed with OCRC.  I filed a grieveance and won it as well.  Of course, grieveances apply only to those issues that are contractual--i.e. included as obvious violations to specific articles included in your professional agreement between your teachers' union and the board of education.  Such action may be a problem for you, as your specific need for an accessibility accommodation would not be specifically addressed in the professional agreement.

Each time I was observed, (separate from my three-year appraisal reevaluations) and each time I was appraised every three years as well, I read those observations and evaluations, commented on their content, and dated my comments.  That way, when I checked copies of same that were always included in my personnel file, I always knew whether someone had added information after my dated comments that might have been potentially detrimental to me and/or my chances to seek employment with another district or even within Springfield City.  That way, my principal, (observer-evaluator)  and anyone else who was contractually supposed to receive copies of my personnel file, could see where my dated comments ended and whether or not anyone else had added written information afterward without my knowledge.  I always commented and dated on the advice of my union reps and union officials above them.  Even if I didn't have a specific comment to write as a refutation or rebuttal, I asked someone to make large X all over the front and back of the page that contained observation or evaluation so that no writing could be added by anyone else without my knowledge.  That way, if copies that were in my personnel file contained unexpected written additions, I could prove that these were added illegally and without my knowledge or consent.  My signature on the initial evaluations or observations constituted merely that I had read the documentation, not necessarily that I always agreed with it.

You should also check your personnel file as often as possible yourself.  Ours were filed downtown, away from the school buildings in which we worked.  If you check often, you can try to assure that no one is adding documentation of which you are unaware.  For me, there was a caveat for checking my personnel file, of course.  We district teachers knew, from experience, that, if we made an appointment ahead of time to come in to check our files, certain administrative secretaries removed certain documents from our personnel files that principals or superintendants did not want us to see.  However, we knew these had been removed.  How did we know?  We could send a friend or colleague in to check our files, and they made copies of those documents that suspected would be removed when we went in to check our own files.  Sounds incredible?  Believe me, it happened.  Usually, those things that were added were merely typed on blank paper, and not on the proper form that was required by the binding
Professional agreementbetween teachers and the board.  The only insurmountable problem for me was the "secret"  with-in building file that each principal kept.  The bad principals denied that they had these files, but we knew they existed because the UNISERV people from the teachers' union coorborated their existence.  I never did get around that problem.

Even including those two trips to the Ohio Civil Rights Commission, I only had serious trouble with one principal and a friend of his, who was not even to act as an observer-evaluator for me.  But that guy was the best friend of the principal with whom I had trouble.  All this is to say, please be wary.  Be careful.  Don't assume.  I only suggest checking your personnel file regularly and/oor sending a friend in to do so, knowing that written documents of which you do not have copies could be being added, thus adding fodder for school officials to continue to ignore your requests for accommodations and equal treatment/opportunity.  They seem to be hoping that the longer they ignore you, you will eventually go away.  Use the help of attorneys as you can afford to.  Through your union hopefully, you could receive a discounted rate to seek counseling with an attorney who is in your liability insurance plan.

Sorry I seem perhaps too jaded and cynical.  But I speak from experience.  And I did win satisfaction from both my trips to the Ohio Civil Rights Commission.  Good luck to you.

Sincerely,

Debra Baker, Springfield, Ohio