[Ohio-talk] Suggestions for Cheryl Covington and her father

mzavoli at roadrunner.com mzavoli at roadrunner.com
Thu Oct 9 05:55:49 UTC 2014

Hello List Readers,

I'm glad that Cheryl Covington is reaching out for help.  Although Cheryl C. is concerned about her father's Charles Bonnett Syndrome, she doesn't need to limit herself to only this line of support.  Marietta, Ohio is in Washington County.  The best suggestion for this family is to attend an NFB meeting and open the possibilities of supportive communication, establish camaraderie with other blind people, whether or not they have the same diagnosis, and just get to know the that independence is real!  This family needs to see blind people in action--using their canes or dogs and reading Braille.  If Cheryl C.'S father has the opportunity, he can get in touch with OOD and get training in cooking--blind people do it all the time--home repair, mobility and Braille.

Invite the family to an event so they can see that we can put on a spaghetti dinner, a tendem bakathon, a bake sale at Walmart, for instance.  The best thing to do is to participate in our community events.  When one participates, one feels as though one belongs.  It may be too soon to ask them to come to our state convention; that might be something to consider next year.  For now, just invite them to a meeting and engage them in group activities.  In a nutshell, make them feel welcome.  Make them feel like we care.

Milena Zavoli