[Ohio-talk] good idea or not

Shelbi Hindel shelbiah1 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 18:46:12 UTC 2015

I find it disturbing too. My parents did not explain to me that I was blind
as a child. I knew there was something different about me and just thought I
wasn't as smart as others. Having said that most of us really do not
remember a lot of things from that age, in general. I'd feel better if this
were a family that could afford to take these trips on their own finances.

I think it would be interesting for people to weigh in on how much visual
stuff they remember after losing their sight. Do you have strong, vivid
memories of sunsets, sunrises, stars, colors, family members, and so forth.

I am also disturbed by the idea that this could give sighted people the idea
that the only sense of value and that can give you enjoyment through out
life is sight. Eric and I went to the Ohio state fair without sighted people
along. I had one of the best times at the fair in my life. It was relaxed
and  peaceful. We found the things we most wanted such as ice cream. We even
made one mistake that, for me, was fantastic. It was ordering French fries
that turned out to be what I'd call homemade chips. Absolutely delicious. We
got more of them! Had we had sight available that error would not have been
made,  most likely, yet it was, as I said, a fantastic and delicious result.

Shelbi