[Ohio-talk] (no subject)

richard rchpay7 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 02:30:20 UTC 2015

Many of you have heard of the ice bucket challenge but we are having a
marching for independence challenge it is very simple read below and join
us.

7 ways in 7 days to make the "Ask."

Day 1: Sponsor yourself...$20
Day 2: Ask three relatives for $25...$75 total
Day 3  Ask three friends for $10...$30 total
Day 4: Ask five co-workers for $10...$50 total
Day 5: Ask five neighbors for $10...$50 total
Day 6: Ask a favorite local merchant for $25
Day 7: You did it! Celebrate! $250

These are the people who have already took the challenge join them.

Karen

richard

sherry

Walter

Jordy

William

The dead line is march  31

Please have all checks sent to Sherry Ruth and in the memo line note
marching for independence

6922 Murray Ridge Rd., Elyria, Ohio  440355.

You can feel free to call me at 937/829/3368 and email me at
rchpay7 at gmail.com

I want to also share the notes from the Phone Conference

Monday, December 7, 2015

Meeting called to order by Mr. Richard Payne: 7:00pm

Mr. Payne asked for everyone who was involved with the Drive of 75 committee
to identify themselves.  The following people were involved: Ms. Sheri Ruth,
Ms. Sheri Albers and Mr. Walter Mitchell

The group discussed struggles encountered while working on the Drive for 75
committee.  These included difficulties thinking of a fundraiser and of
other activities that could bring in a significant amount of money.  It was
noted that Cincinnati did a great job with their concerts.  Dr. JW Smith was
the most successful fundraiser.

Mr. Payne said  that it is important to find projects that are the most bang
for  the buck.  Everyone needs to commit to a goal to raising a certain
amount of money.  He asked Ms. Sheri Albers if she had anything to add.  Ms.
Albers responded that her largest challenge was that no one knows who the
NFB is because it is not a household name.  Ms. Sherry Ruth stated that many
people will respond to the individual if they know them and not so much the
organization.

Mr. Payne said that, until the organization begins to work together in the
State of Ohio, it will not be a household name.  Members have to get the
word out by talking about the organization.  He said that raising the money
is not an easy task but he would really like to raise more money than last
year.  He suggested a goal of $10,000.  It is important to think big, act
big and know what we're doing.  He talked about the elevator speech which
was a common speech to promote the federation.  If we do not believe that we
can go out and get the money, it is not going to happen.  He added that he
has some strategies and ideas for reaching this goal.

Ms. Gloria Roberts said that she would like to host an event in Cincinnati
or Dayton possibly in May.  She said that she's spoken to Dr. Smith about it
and that he would support such an event.  Mr. Payne said that he would like
to organize events throughout different parts of the state.  Ms. Karen
Warner said that she would like to have an event so that we can show the
public our talents and what we can do.  She said that she spoke with the
manager at Wiley's Comedy Joint.  He said that he can donate his facility
for three hours as long as we buy food, appetizers and drinks.  Also,
Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays might be challenging because the club hosts
entertainers on those nights.  She said that we can talk to him again once
the time is closer.

Mr. Walter Mitchell said that we should set up groups for event
planning/corporate sponsorship and for people to people sponsorship.  Mr.
Payne responded positively and reiterated the importance of working
together.  Mr. Mitchell said that a statewide group could attempt to seek
donations from chain businesses that have franchises across the state.  Mr.
Payne asked him how many people he thinks he would need to help him with
this.  He responded probably five or less.  Mr. Mitchell agreed to work on
corporate sponsorship.  Those who agreed to work with him are  Ms. Ruth, Mr.
William Turner and Ms. Alexis Tyson.

Mr. Jordy Stringer then offered to lead a Social Media group.  Mr. Mitchell
added that each city or chapter will need to have a representative on this
committee to reach out to local organizations.  Mr. Jones said that he would
work with the Cincinnati area.  Mr. Robert Spangler also offered to assist
with editing publications.

Mr. Payne asked Ms. Carol Akers to talk about a 5K walk/run.  She explained
that, to plan an event ourselves would involve a lot of fine details going
on behind the scenes as well as a lot of expenses.  She reviewed a few of
these.  She then talked about a Charity 5K taking place in Columbus on June
26.  Any nonprofit desiring to participate would pay a $250 registration fee
and the charity would take care of the logistics.  We would simply have to
focus on getting people to register and promote the cause.  Participants
would register online through a site created specifically for us through the
5K.  Individuals would pay an entry fee of $30.  They would receive a
T-shirt and a finishing metal.  We get $15, they get $15.  She said that
during any given weekend in Ohio there are at least six races occurring.
Mr. Payne said that he is searching for people to partner with us to help
get people signed up to raise money.  He also added that, since this is a
charity walk, there would be other organizations trying to raise money as
well.

Ms. Albers said that the Flying Pig in Cincinnati has a special section
where an nonprofit could enter itself.  She asked Mr. Payne if he would like
for her to obtain further information.  She said that it's the largest race
in Cincinnati and it's held during the first weekend in May.

Mr. Payne said that he would like at least two ideas.  Ms. Ruth said that,
if we want everyone around the entire affiliate to participate, it should be
centrally located.  Also, decisions about who will receive assistance to go
to national convention should be made around the beginning of May.  Mr.
Payne responded that the idea is to raise money for both the state and
national convention.  He wants the membership busy.  the main goal of these
initial efforts is to get everyone moving.

Mr. Payne asked for Ms. Akers to figure out how to get registered for the 5K
in Columbus, what the web site is and any other details.  Ms. Akers provided
the URL for the 5K, which is  <http://www.cherityday5k.com>
www.cherityday5k.com.  Mr. Payne said that he will discuss with President
Eric Duffy and put word on the Ohio list to get this rolling.  Ms. Albers
offered to help Ms. Akers with seeking participants.

Next, Mr. Payne asked for a roll call of the Dayton members and said that he
would like for us to work on a couple of issues related to this project.
Ms. Roberts offered to chair this effort.  Ms. Warner will help Ms. Roberts.
He then asked Mr. Turner if he could do the same thing for his chapter in
Cleveland.  He also asked Ms. Ruth if she could check with her chapter.  He
said that his ultimate goal is to get this issue on the agenda of every
chapter.  This would be to raise money to get people to the state and
national conventions.  He then asked for individuals to commit to raising
$250.  Mr. Stringer, Mr. Mitchell, Ms. Albers, Mr. Payne, Ms. Warner and Mr.
Turner all agreed.  Mr. Payne said that he would be attempting to recruit
people on the mailing list as well.  The deadline was set for March 31.

Ms. Ruth requested that individuals who send her checks put MFI in the memo
field, which stands for March for Independence.