[Ohio-talk] Report on Cincinnati Chapter Braille-a-thon July 18th

Sheri salbers1 at twc.com
Thu Jul 23 22:38:59 UTC 2015

Hello Federation Family,

Eric asked me to report on our Braille-a-thon, that was held on Saturday
July 18, 2015 at the North College Hill Kroger. If you remember, it was
forecasted to be an extremely hot and humid day, but Deanna and Mombo, Kaiti
and I were willing to give it go as long as we could! As it turned out, the
manager, Deanna, invited us inside and set us up inside the store entrance,
where it was nice and cool! We set up our table, put our banner around it,
and put out NFB literature; "Do you know a blind person?", "What is the
National Federation of the Blind?", NFB alphabet cards, Kernel books and
Guide Dog materials. We then settled in and read braille and talked to
people from 10 AM to 2 PM! We did not plan it, but we all had different
mediums of braille. Kaiti was reading a book on her note-taker with the
braille display, I had a braille copy of a banquet speech by Dr. Jernigan
and Deanna had a dual braille-print book. For the couple of people who
wanted more specifics, we hope we planted a seed, like the Kernel books
intend.

Oh, how did the Braille-a-thon go? Well, the three participants of our
chapter raised $240!

Have a great day!

Sheri Albers

---