[Ohio-talk] Airlines and assistance problems

Deborah Kendrick dkkendrick at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 23 23:25:49 UTC 2015

Kaiti,
First, I am so impressed with how you handled all of these difficult
situations.
Secondly, these are long-standing, ongoing problems, and the worst of it is
that circumstances vary from airport to airport, airline to airline, and
person to person.
Part of the problem is that some of the people who provide assistance are
with outside contract agencies, and are paid very little.
I have a personal fondness for Delta in Cincinnati, with whom I've probably
flown 50,000 miles in the last couple of years.
Why?  Because they quite often use their own staff to walk to the gate with
me.  These are people with loyalty to the company and experience in various
contexts -- ticket counter, gate, luggage loading, etc.  I'm on a first-name
basis with several of them at CVG and, as with all situations all of us
face, they treat me well because they have come to know me.
And that's the problem.  You have such a beautiful personality that I know I
don't have to tell you this, but I will point out the obvious just to get
you thinking about it.
When we engage socialy with people, they learn that we are more like them
than unlike them.
Initially, for example, these assist people (if they are the kind mentioned
above) will ask me if Im going to visit relatives.  Why?  Because they
cannot imagine that a blind person is doing anything else but visiting
people who will take care of us.
So I tell them that I'm going for work.  I don't elaborate on and on because
we also don't want to leave them thinking that blind people are obnoxious
braggarts, but I try to give enough information to be interesting.
Then I ask about them.  How long have you worked with
Delta?Southwest?whatever?  Do you get to fly for free?  Where have you gone?

Usually, such a fun conversation about travel and amazing places ensues that
we are friends of sorts by the time we reach the gate.
As I said, it varies from airport to airport.
My personal experience tells me to try never to be in Atlanta or Chicago,but
as sure as I write that, someone who is blind will certainly know of a
wonderful experience had in one or both of those airports.
The better trained ones, by the way, will ask:  "Would you like to stop
anywhere along the waY?"
And even if they don't ask, I often ask them where the food places are.
I had a great time in Minneapolis a month or two ago when I asked a guy,
whose first language was not English, by the way, where I might buy
moisturizer.  He ddn't understand at first, so I pointed to my face and said
"Make up.  Skin products.  You know..."
He took me to  a boutique I would never have thought of and I bought the
greatest tinted moisturizer, SPF 15, I have ever had!
And yeah, sometimes it all spins out of control and hideous things happen to
me, to all of us.
I think if you have the energy, you should write the letters.
I also think you should just keep being your beautiful self and know that,
whether we want to or not, each of us is assigned the task of educating the
world, one person at a time.
I, for one, am glad that you are among our teachers!

Deborah