[Ohio-talk] Buckeye Update

Eric Duffy peduffy63 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 18:58:15 UTC 2015

National Federation of the Blind of Ohio Buckeye Update

March 21, 2015

	If you rely only on this update for National Federation of the Blind of Ohio news, it would be tempting to conclude that we have been quiet and inactive since it has been some time since I last wrote an update. But of course, if you know the National Federation of the Blind at all, you know that would be a false conclusion.
	We are about to have a new National Federation of the Blind of Ohio brochure. It is with the printer now so it will be in our hands soon. I know that the Springfield chapter plans to contribute to the affiliate to offset some of the cost, and I hope I can count on other chapters and divisions to do the same. We are going to make the brochures available to those who want them, but I will ask for a contribution from your chapter or division upon request. I do this for two reasons. The first reason should be obvious. We need help with the cost of design and  printing. the second should be almost as obvious. I don't want these brochures sitting around. I want them in the hands of people who need them. If you invest a little financially, you will want to get more bang out of your buck. Please do what you can to help with the cost, and to distribute the brochures once they are in your hands.
	The spring newsletter is complete. It will be in your inbox and on NFB-NEWSLINE soon. I once again thank Barbara Pierce for all of her hard work. Getting this newsletter done is a dedication of labor and love, so I want Barbara to know how much I appreciate all that she gives to us on a daily basis.
	Our Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning (BELL) Program will be held June 22, to July 3, at the Ohio State School for the Blind this year.  this is a little to close to convention for my comfort, but it is the only date we could get. We will make it work.
	Many of you know by now that the dates have been set for our 2015 and 2016 state conventions.  We will be at the DoubleTree hotel in Independence Ohio both years. The 2015 convention will take place November 19-22. The room rate is $89 plus tax. I know that the Cleveland and Cuyahoga chapters will help us make these great conventions.
	JW., and the Drive for 75 committee has been hard at work, and there still a few months left before our campaign ends. But as you will see from my column in the newsletter, I am excited about the national convention. We need to encourage people to plan to attend. I want people to preregister. It Would be nice if we had more than 75 registered before the convention begins. I have created a convention assistance request form which many of you should have by now, but let me know if you need it. The deadline for submitting your request for assistance is April 15. For a number of reasons it will help me to know who will be attending the convention from Ohio. Please let me know who will be attending from your chapter or division. The best way to let me know is by email.
	Although it is a few weeks away, I want to remind you that the next meeting of the Board of Directors will take place on April 11, at 10:00 AM. This meeting will of course, be by conference call. Our new conference line number is   (
(712) 775-7031.
The Meeting ID is:
900-797-801
 followed by the pound Sign. All are invited and welcome to participate.
	There is a lot more to report, so I will write more next week. I continue to feel blessed to be a part of the National Federation and the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio. I hope you do as well. If you do, then go do what you can to Build the Federation.