[Ohio-talk] Agendas

Payne, Richard L (Synchrony Financial) richard.payne at synchronyfinancial.com
Tue Nov 17 21:05:14 UTC 2015

I am   charging you 25.00 bucks lol

-----Original Message-----
From: Ohio-talk [mailto:ohio-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Eric Duffy via Ohio-talk
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 3:57 PM
To: NFB of Ohio Announcement and Discussion List
Cc: Eric Duffy
Subject: [Ohio-talk] Agendas

Richard,

I bet this is going to feel like Christmas. It is a Christmas that has taken a long time to come.

I am pasting and attaching the final convention agenda as well as the agenda for the Thursday evening Board of Directors Meeting.

all kidding aside, I do appreciate your patience everyone. We have had delays that I will not go into here, but this is going to be a great convention.

I am looking forward to it.

Remember some times attachments do not show up on the list. Please don’t write and tell me something is not attached. If you need an attached file, please write me off list, and tell me which attachment you need.

Thanks.

Eric

National Federation of the Blind of Ohio Board of Directors Meeting
November 19, 2015

Call to order and roll call

Introduction of national representative

Approval of September minutes

Convention Coordinator remarks
Overview of convention agenda

Friday morning workshops, be there

Exhibits
 Chapter and division dues, lists, and reports. All In?

Nominating Committee

Door prizes
Split the pot drawing
Malley's

Other Fund Raising Ideas
Scholarship Program

Leadership breakfast

Washington Seminar deadline

Next newsletter

AGENDA

69th Annual Convention
November 19 to November 22, 2015
Eric Duffy, President
(614) 377-9877
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
6200 Quarry Lane, Independence, Ohio 44131
(216) 447-1300
NFB Pledge
I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its constitution.
About the NFB of Ohio
The National Federation of the Blind of Ohio is a statewide organization composed primarily of blind Ohioans. It is the state affiliate of the National Federation of the Blind, a national-membership organization which holds nonprofit tax-exempt status under Section 501(c) 3 of the Internal Revenue Code. It is not an organization speaking for the blind; it is the blind speaking for themselves.
Navigating the DoubleTree
by Barbara Pierce
This is a lovely facility with delicious food. The entrance is on the north side of the hotel, which means that you are facing south as you enter. If you step forward a few feet, the registration desk will be on the right (west) side of the lobby. Seating groups of furniture are in the center of the lobby, and Shula's Restaurant and Bar is located on the east wall. You pass through the bar before reaching restaurant seating. Wait in the bar to be seated.
After checking in, continue walking south. You will notice a corridor turning west (right). This leads to the sleeping rooms and the elevators to the upper floors. As you walk down this hall, west, you will pass on your right first the Directors Room and then the Boardroom. These are small meeting rooms, and they are close to the lobby end of the hall. This corridor dead ends into an exit with grass outside it. This is the dog relief area, and a trash receptacle will be located outside the door for your convenience. Back in the hallway turn left at that door (south) to reach sleeping rooms and the elevator; both of these are found on the left side of the hallway only. At the south end of the hall you can turn right to find Room 121, our hospitality room, or left (east) to walk along a hall that connects with the south end of the foyer area outside the ballrooms, which are also our principal breakout rooms.
Returning to the lobby just before the right turn to pass the Directors Room and Boardroom, you can also angle forty-five degrees to the left in a corridor that passes the access to the indoor and outdoor swimming pools and the business center on the right. This hall opens into the ballroom area. There are two ballrooms, both on the left side. The first is the Grand Ballroom with division rooms 1, 2, and 3 going south. Next is a carpeted hall to the left (east) which gives access on the right side to Petit Ballrooms A and B. Rooms C, D, and E lie to the south of these two smaller rooms. Note that the only access to rooms A and B is from the cross hall. There are restrooms in the foyer on the east side before the ballrooms and also around the hallways near the elevators.
That's it. Read through this article several times, pausing after reading each new element to build a map in your head. If you take time to do this, you will sail through the convention with no problems. All rooms are marked in Braille and raised print in the standard locations. Happy travels.
Convention Arrangements and Literature
	If you have any questions about convention arrangements, contact Sheri Albers, Convention coordinator. (513) 886-8697.
Registration and Literature
	NFB literature will be available throughout the convention in the registration area. Registration will take place in the ballroom foyer area Friday, November 20, from 1:00 to 6:00 PM and and Saturday, November 21, from 8:30 AM to 8:50 AM.
Door Prizes
	Door prizes should be labeled clearly in print and Braille with the donor's name and the amount of cash or type of gift. Shelbi Hindel is in charge of door prizes. They may be brought to her directly or left in Convention Registration.

Guide Dogs
	If you have a problem with your dog or need advice or assistance, contact Deanna Lewis (513-328-7976), president of our guide dog division, or Debbie Baker (937-206-2935). The relief area is located outside the doors at the west end of the hall that runs past the Directors Room and Boardroom. A trash receptacle will be outside the doors for your convenience.
Exhibits
Don’t miss our fabulous exhibits. Whether you are looking for a new Braille notetaker, a book reader, a new video magnifier, or smaller items like kitchen gadgets or talking watches designed with the blind in mind, you’ll want to make time Friday between workshops to visit our fabulous exhibit room. Each vendor has contributed a minimum of a $50 gift that will be won by one of our lucky convention attendees.
Come look at the products and gather information about everything from technology to guide dog training to services available to blind job seekers. To be entered in the drawing for vendor gifts, be sure to pick up a card – available at all exhibit tables.  Ask any vendor to write your name and the name of the vendor’s own company in print or Braille on the card and then drop, one entry only please, in the box provided on the table near the exit.
Exhibits are available on Friday only, from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. in Petit E Room. Don’t miss this opportunity to shop or just learn about products and services to help you live the life you want. Exhibit questions? Find Deborah Kendrick or call her at 513-673-4474.
Thursday, November 19, 2015
 7:30–9:00 PM 	Board of Directors meeting, Petit A. B.
Friday, November 20, 2015
9:00 AM to 10:30 AM 	The ABC's of Braille and UEB Petit A. B
9:00 10:30 AM 	The Art of Structured Discovery, Cane Travel the Federation Way. A walking Tour of the Hotel Participants meet near main door of hotel
9:00 10:30 AM 	IOS and Other Things Apple Petit C.
9:00 10:30 AM	Diabetes Workshop Petit D.
9:00 AM-5:00 PM. 	Exhibits Petite E.
Workshops repeat in the same locations beginning at 10:40 AM. until noon.
2:30-4:30 PM 	Advocacy Workshop, Grand Ballroom II.
5:00-6:00 PM 	Ohio Association of Blind Merchants Meeting,
	Annette Lutz, President, Petit A. B
7:00-9:00 PM Hospitality, Parlor 121. Hospitality will reopen after the play ends for a cast party. All are invited.
7:00-8:00 PM	Members at Large Chapter Meeting, Colleen Roth, President, Petit A. B
8:00-8:30 PM	Resolutions Committee Meeting, Deborah Kendrick, Chair, Petit A. B
8:30 PM 	Nominating Committee Meeting, Sherry Ruth, Chair, Petit C.
9:30-10:15 PM 	Play Performance, Not the Royal Shakespeare Company presents “Pyramus and Thisbe,” Grand Ballroom II
Saturday, November 21
7:00–8:00 AM	Diabetes Action Network of Ohio (DAN) Breakfast,
Wanda Sloan, President, Shula's Restaurant
7:00-8:45 AM	National Association to Promote the Use of Braille (NAPUB)
Continental Breakfast Meeting, Barbara Pierce, President, Petit D.
9:00 AM	Call to Order of General Session, Eric Duffy, President, Grand Ballroom III
9:05 AM	Welcome to Independence, Meredith Turner, Immigration Liaison, Office of U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown; Jane Fumich, Director of Aging, City of Cleveland; Cheryl Fischer, President Cuyahoga Chapter; William H. Turner, President, Cleveland Chapter
9:10 AM	Convention Arrangements, Sheri Albers
9:15 AM	Roll Call of Chapters, Shelbi Hindel
9:25 AM	National Report Pam Allen, First Vice President, National Federation of the Blind; President NFB of Louisiana; Director, Louisiana Center for the Blind
9:55 AM	Report from the Talking Book Library, Will Reed, Director, Ohio Library for the Blind and Physically Disabled, Cleveland
10:35 AM	Are You Sleeping? Non-24 Sleep Disorder What is it? Don't let it Prevent you from Living the Life You Want, Dewey Mclin Vanda Pharmaceuticals
11:00 AM	Report From the Bureau of Services for the Visually Impaired, Melinda (Mindy) Duncan, BSVI Director
12:00 noon	Recess. Those who have ordered boxed lunches can pick them up in the Ballroom Foyer Area. Only those with tickets will be served.
12:15-1:45 PM	Ohio Organization of the Senior Blind, Colleen Roth, President Petite A. B
12:15-1:45 PM	Ohio Association of Guide Dog Users, Deanna Lewis, President, Petit C
2:00 PM	Call to Order of General Session, Eric Duffy, President Grand Ballroom III.
2:05 PM	KNFB Reader: Go Totally Mobile, Aleeha Dudley, KNFB Reader Coordinator
 2:25 PM	How Cleveland Sight Center Helps People Find Rewarding Employment by Using Evidence-Based Interventions, Joel Zureick, Director, Social Work and Supported Employment, Cleveland Sight Center
2:55 PM	Live Well: Live Long and Be Healthy, Ann Williams, PhD, RN, CDE, Research Associate Professor of Nursing, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
3:25 PM	Transportation Options Now and in the Future, Sam Henderson, RTA Cleveland, Ohio; Sarah White, Mobility Manager, Northeast Ohio Areawide Coordinating Agency
4:00 PM	You Can Ring My BE,LL and STEM2U
4:30 PM	Why I Am A Federationist, Deborah Kendrick
5:00 PM	Recess
5:30–6:30 PM	Social Hour with Cash Bar, Ballroom Foyer Area
6:30 PM	Annual Banquet, Aleeha Dudley, Mistress of Ceremonies, Grand Ballroom II
Banquet Address Pamela Allen, NFB National Representative
Affiliate Awards
Scholarship Awards. We thank the Norwalk Ohio Lions for generously supporting our Scholarship Program.
Money for the Movement, honor roll call of chapters, divisions, and individuals
9:00 pm – 1:00 AM	Post-Banquet activities with cash bar: Come and dance the night away or listen to the music of the Foot Prints Band
Sunday, November 22
7:15-8:45	AM Leadership Breakfast for Chapter and Division Presidents, Treasurers, and NFB-O Board Members Petite D.
9:00 AM	Call to Order of the General Session, Eric Duffy, President, Grand Ballroom I.
9:05 AM	Let's Go Build the Federation, Richard Payne
9:35 AM	An Introduction to Optic Nerve Hypoplasia: Implications for Development and Living the Lives We Want, Christopher  Sabine, ONH Consulting
10:00 AM	Book Discussion and Game
11:00 AM	Treasurer’s Report, Sherry Ruth
11:10 AM	Report of the Nominating Committee, Sherry Ruth, Chair
11:20 AM	Affiliate Elections
11:40 AM	Reports and Resolutions
Noon 	Adjournment
2015 Board of Directors
Officers
Terms ending 2016
President:	Eric Duffy
(614) 377-9877
P.O. Box 82055, Columbus, OH 43202
peduffy63 at gmail.com
First Vice President: 	Richard Payne
(937) 829-3368
1019 Wilmington Ave., Apt. 43, Kettering, OH 45420
rchpay7 at gmail.com
Secretary: 	Shelbi Hindel
(614) 558-8059
185 Crestview Road, Columbus, OH 43202
shelbiah1 at gmail.com
Treasurer: 	Sherry Ruth
(440) 324-4218
6922 Murray Ridge Rd., Elyria, OH 44035
babyruth2 at windstream.net

Members at Large
2014-2016
Macy McClain
(937) 935-2610
701 Stonehollow Place, Bellefontaine, Ohio 43311
macymcclain at yahoo.com
2013-2015
Sheri Albers
(513) 886-8697
123 Queens Road
Milford, OH 45150
salbers1 at twc.com
Debbie Baker
(937) 206-2935
1107 Burt St., Springfield, OH 45055
bakerdebra53 at gmail.com
Susan Day
(937) 701-8434
6308 Jason Lane, Centerville, OH 45459
greymaster95 at gmail.com
Deborah Kendrick
(513) 321-2228 or (513) 673-4474
2848 Ridgewood Ave., Cincinnati, OH 45213-1062
dkkendrick at earthlink.net
Barbara Pierce
(440) 774-8077
198 Kendall Dr.  Oberlin, Ohio 44074
barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com
William Turner
(330) 328-9860
1064 E. 167th St., Cleveland, OH 44110-1523
william.h.turner at ssa.gov
Sponsor Honor Roll
Silver Sponsors
Cincinnati Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired, Cincinnati, Ohio
Offering blind and visually impaired people the opportunity to seek independence
Disability Rights Ohio, Columbus, Ohio
Disability Rights Ohio is a non-profit corporation with a mission to advocate for the human, civil, and legal rights of people with disabilities in Ohio.
Vanda Pharmaceuticals
Vanda has worked closely with the National Federation of the Blind to educate the public about non-24 Sleep Wake disorder and to market the drug Hetlioz to treat individuals with non-24.