[Ohio-talk] Deborah Kendrick Column Please read

James Fetter jtfetter at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 7 21:31:44 UTC 2015

Dear Cheryl and all,
I have been following this thread with considerable interest, because I too have had this experience; indeed, it happened to me once at the Cincinnatti airport, and the person "providing assistance" made several entirely inappropriate comments about random women we were passing as well as at least one border-line racist comment. In other words, it seems that these jobs are often given to people who ought not be in any sort of customer service role whatsoever. As for solving this through legal channels, the biggest problem I foresee is that courts may be very skeptical as to whether being ordered to sit in a wheelchair constitutes harm, which, in turn, would make it hard to get any sort of standing to bring a lawsuit. I have just started law school, so I am far from an expert on this matter. I can, however, do some research and let you all know what I find, if that would be helpful.
All Best,
James

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 7, 2015, at 4:05 PM, Cheryl Fischer via Ohio-talk <ohio-talk at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>
> Barbara,
>
> From what you write below, we do have the right to refuse an accommodation, which is important and applies to the situation where we are ordered to sit in a wheelchair, but that leaves the question of whether the entity we are asking accommodation from (airline or airport) is then required to provide us a different accommodation of our choosing.
>
> I believe that there is another part of the ADA which says that the person with a disability has the right to provide input concerning what accommodation they need or prefer and that their preferred accommodation should be implemented unless it can be shown to be an undue burden.
> If I am also right about this second point, then putting the two together, we should be able to address this issue successfully.
>
> Cheryl

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org/marianne%40den
>>> n