[Ohio-talk] question for David Andrews

richard rchpay7 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 23:40:24 UTC 2015

I think it is all about knowing the law and if you are speaking about jobs
are other things you may be faced with but here is a great resource.

Employment (Title I)

Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 prohibits private
employers, State and local governments, employment agencies and labor unions
from discriminating against qualified individuals with disabilities in job
application procedures, hiring, firing, advancement, compensation, job
training, and other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment. The ADA
covers employers with 15 or more employees, including State and local
governments. It also applies to employment agencies and to labor
organizations.

ENFORCEMENT

 <http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/disability.cfm> U.S. Equal Employment
Opportunity Commission -- Disability Discrimination

How to File a Charge of Discrimination
If you think you have been discriminated against in employment on the basis
of disability, you should  <http://www.eeoc.gov/field/index.cfm> contact the
<http://www.eeoc.gov/> U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.  A
charge of discrimination generally must be filed within 180 days of the
alleged discrimination. You may have up to 300 days to file a charge if
there is a State or local law that provides relief for discrimination on the
basis of disability. However, to protect your rights, it is best to
<http://www.eeoc.gov/field/index.cfm> contact EEOC promptly if
discrimination is suspected.

TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE MATERIALS

 <http://www.ada.gov/workta.htm> A Guide for People with Disabilities
Seeking Employment |  <http://www.ada.gov/workta.pdf> PDF
A 2-page pamphlet for people with disabilities providing a general
explanation of the employment provisions of the ADA and how to file a
complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. (Spanish edition
available from the ADA Information Line.)

 <http://www.ada.gov/servicemembers_adainfo.html> ADA: Know Your Rights --
Returning Service Members with Disabilities |
<http://www.ada.gov/servicemembers_adainfo.pdf> PDF
This 28-page booklet is designed to provide military service members who
have been seriously wounded in Operation Iraqi Freedom or Operation Enduring
Freedom a basic understanding of their rights under the ADA and where to
turn for additional information and assistance.

 <http://www.ada.gov/q&aeng02.htm> ADA Questions and Answers
 A 31-page booklet giving an overview of the ADA's requirements for ensuring
equal opportunity for persons with disabilities in employment, State and
local government services, public accommodations, commercial facilities, and
transportation, and requiring the establishment of TDD/telephone relay
services. (Spanish, Cambodian, Chinese, Hmong, Japanese, Korean, Laotian,
Tagalog and Vietnamese editions available from the ADA Information Line.)

 <http://www.ada.gov/cguide.htm> A Guide to Disability Rights Laws |
<http://www.ada.gov/cguide.pdf> PDF
A 21-page booklet that provides a brief overview of ten Federal laws that
protect the rights of people with disabilities and provides information
about the federal agencies to contact for more information. (Spanish,
Cambodian, Chinese, Hmong, Japanese, Korean, Laotian, Tagalog and Vietnamese
editions available from the ADA Information Line.)

 <http://www.ada.gov/aids/ada_q&a_aids.htm> Questions and Answers: The
Americans with Disabilities Act and Persons with HIV/AIDS |
<http://www.ada.gov/aids/ada_q&a_aids.pdf> PDF
A 14-page publication explaining the rights of persons with HIV/AIDS under
the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and the requirements of the ADA
for employers, businesses and non-profit agencies that serve the public, and
State and local governments to avoid discriminating against persons with
HIV/AIDS (June 2012).

" <http://www.ada.gov/videogallery.htm#10_employmentmyths> Ten Employment
Myths"
Many employers misunderstand the Americans with Disabilities Act and are
reluctant to hire people with disabilities because of unfounded myths. This
seventeen-minute video responds to concerns expressed by employers,
explaining the ADA in common sense terms and dispelling myths about this
often overlooked pool of well-qualified employees.

 <http://www.ada.gov/ta-pubs-pg2.htm> More Technical Assistance Materials

Selected Topics

 <http://www.ada.gov/olmstead/index.htm> Olmstead
 <http://www.ada.gov/aids/index.htm> HIV and AIDS
 <http://www.ada.gov/usao-agreements.htm> Barrier-Free Healthcare Initiative
 <http://www.ada.gov/newproposed_regs.htm> Proposed Regulations
 <http://www.ada.gov/civicac.htm> Project Civic Access
 <http://www.ada.gov/business.htm> ADA Business Connection

Resources

 <http://www.ada.gov/ada_fed_resources.htm> Federal ADA & Section 504
Resources
 <http://www.ada.gov/statrpt.htm> Reports & Updates
 <http://www.ada.gov/508/index.html> Section 508
 <http://www.ada.gov/ada_archive.htm> ADA.gov Archive

Titles of the ADA

 <http://www.ada.gov/ada_title_I.htm> Employment (title I)
 <http://www.ada.gov/ada_title_II.htm> State & Local Government (title II)
 <http://www.ada.gov/ada_title_III.htm> Public Accommodations and
Commercial Facilities (title III)

Department of Justice ADA Responsibilities

 <http://www.ada.gov/taprog.htm> Technical Assistance
 <http://www.ada.gov/enforce_footer.htm> Enforcement
 <http://www.ada.gov/mediate.htm> Mediation
 <http://www.ada.gov/regs_footer.htm> Regulations
 <http://www.ada.gov/certcode.htm> Certification of State and Local Building
Codes

<https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDOJ/subscriber/new?category_id=US
DOJ_C26> Red EnvelopeSign Up for Email Updates

 <http://www.ada.gov/site_map.htm> Site Map

 <http://www.ada.gov/contact_drs.htm> Contact Us

Department of Justice Links

 <http://www.justice.gov/> Department of Justice Home Page