[Ohio-talk] Hearing of Blind People was RE: interesting information

James Fetter jtfetter at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 28 13:41:03 UTC 2015


Having never heard through a sighted person's ears or, to be more 
accurate, processed sounds through a sighted person's brain, I am not 
even sure how it works in my case. And, believe me, my brain is confused 
all the time, though that has more to do with being a first year law 
student than any issue of rewiring.


On 10/28/2015 9:37 AM, Robert Spangler via Ohio-talk wrote:
> I wonder how this works for someone like me who was able to see large print,
> colors and such until about age 4 and now just see shapes, shadows and
> light?  I would imagine that someone who has always been completely blind
> would benefit more from the brain rewiring.
>
> Wow, my brain has to be super confused!
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ohio-talk [mailto:ohio-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of James
> Fetter via Ohio-talk
> Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 9:33 AM
> To: NFB of Ohio Announcement and Discussion List <ohio-talk at nfbnet.org>
> Cc: James Fetter <jtfetter at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [Ohio-talk] Hearing of Blind People was RE: interesting
> information
>
> Based on the research that has been done, it appears that those who were
> born blind or went blind sufficiently early in life were able to rewire, as
> it were, portions of their visual cortex to process sounds. I have no idea
> what specific impact this may have on one's ability to hear as such; at
> most, I would think that it would allow one to construct a better mental map
> of one's surroundings based on sound alone. It may or may not also have
> something to do with having perfect pitch; I was born blind and do have
> perfect pitch, but I have no idea whether or not this is typical.
>
>
> On 10/28/2015 9:19 AM, Robert Spangler via Ohio-talk wrote:
>> I use that statement because I don't want sighted people thinking
>> that, by some supernatural power, we have this amazing level of
>> hearing.  Sorry to be blunt but people are just that silly.  I really
>> do wonder, though, if our hearing is different due to natural brain
> activity.
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Ohio-talk [mailto:ohio-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of
>> Walter Mitchell via Ohio-talk
>> Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 8:31 AM
>> To: 'NFB of Ohio Announcement and Discussion List'
>> <ohio-talk at nfbnet.org>
>> Cc: Walter Mitchell <wmitch at zoomtown.com>
>> Subject: Re: [Ohio-talk] Hearing of Blind People was RE: interesting
>> information
>>
>> I feel that your observation is on point. I hear that statement on a
>> regular basis, and I never thought to answer with my hearing is more
>> skilled than their's. The more I think about it, the more sense that
> makes.
>> Much Love,
>> Walter
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Ohio-talk [mailto:ohio-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of
>> Robert Spangler via Ohio-talk
>> Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 10:14 PM
>> To: 'NFB of Ohio Announcement and Discussion List'
>> Cc: Robert Spangler
>> Subject: [Ohio-talk] Hearing of Blind People was RE: interesting
>> information
>>
>> The article also mentioned that a blind person's ability to hear and
>> other senses I'd imagine as well are actually better due to the brain
>> remapping parts used for vision to those other senses.
>>
>> I'm not disputing this but I'm tired of sighted people thinking that I
>> have some superman hearing.  I'm sure you've all heard a sentence
>> like, "I've heard that when you're blind...." and you can finish it
>> with "Yeah yeah, our senses are better."
>>
>> I always explain that my hearing isn't necessarily better; rather,
>> I've been trained to use my hearing along with my other senses instead
>> of using my eyes.  So, of course, they will be better in that case.
>> When we cross streets, we pay more attention to auditory information;
>> thus, our hearing is more skilled than that of a sighted person.
>>
>> What do you guys think?
>>
>> Robby
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Ohio-talk [mailto:ohio-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of
>> Walter Mitchell via Ohio-talk
>> Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 5:19 PM
>> To: 'NFB of Ohio Announcement and Discussion List'
>> <ohio-talk at nfbnet.org>
>> Cc: Walter Mitchell <wmitch at zoomtown.com>
>> Subject: Re: [Ohio-talk] interesting information
>>
>> I totally agree. It was funny to me to realize that people would think
>> that just because people are blind, that they could not recognize the
>> cultural differences people naturally possess. I am not always
>> correct, but I can talk to someone and figure out their ethnicity from
>> their dialect as well use of the English language. Please don't
>> confuse this process with steriotyping, but that is the method that I
>> use. If someone have a better method, please chime in, I'm interested in
> knowing.
>>
>> Much Love,
>> Walter Mitchell
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Ohio-talk [mailto:ohio-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of
>> Marianne Denning via Ohio-talk
>> Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 2:58 PM
>> To: NFB of Ohio Announcement and Discussion List
>> Cc: Marianne Denning
>> Subject: Re: [Ohio-talk] interesting information
>>
>> Walter, I thought the one about race was humorous.  It is so stupid to
>> think that blind people are color blind.
>> We are no different than the society that raises us.
>> On 10/27/15, Walter Mitchell via Ohio-talk <ohio-talk at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>> Hi Marianne,
>>>
>>> I read the articles and they were interesting. The articles that I
>>> found most interesting and entertaining was the ones about deja vue,
>>> race and the one about the mice detecting there surroundings.
>>>
>>> Thank you for the link.
>>>
>>> Much Love,
>>> Walter Mitchell
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: Ohio-talk [mailto:ohio-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of
>>> Marianne Denning via Ohio-talk
>>> Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 8:41 AM
>>> To: NFB of Ohio Announcement and Discussion List
>>> Cc: Marianne Denning
>>> Subject: [Ohio-talk] interesting information
>>>
>>> I thought I would share this article about research on blindness in
>>> all kinds of situations.  I would like to know people's comments.
>>>
>>> http://listverse.com/2015/10/25/10-fascinating-insights-into-the-worl
>>> d
>>> -of-bl
>>> indness/
>>>
>>> --
>>> Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
>>> Teacher of students who are blind or visually impaired
>>> (513) 607-6053
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Ohio-talk mailing list
>>> Ohio-talk at nfbnet.org
>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org
>>> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for
>>> Ohio-talk:
>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org/wmitch%40zoomt
>>> o
>>> wn.com
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Ohio-talk mailing list
>>> Ohio-talk at nfbnet.org
>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org
>>> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for
>>> Ohio-talk:
>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org/marianne%40den
>>> n
>>> ingweb.com
>>>
>> --
>> Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
>> Teacher of students who are blind or visually impaired
>> (513) 607-6053
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Ohio-talk mailing list
>> Ohio-talk at nfbnet.org
>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org
>> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for
>> Ohio-talk:
>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org/wmitch%40zoomto
>> wn.com
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Ohio-talk mailing list
>> Ohio-talk at nfbnet.org
>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org
>> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for
>> Ohio-talk:
>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org/spangler.robert
>> %40gma
>> il.com
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Ohio-talk mailing list
>> Ohio-talk at nfbnet.org
>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org
>> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for
>> Ohio-talk:
>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org/wmitch%40zoomto
>> wn.com
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Ohio-talk mailing list
>> Ohio-talk at nfbnet.org
>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org
>> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for
>> Ohio-talk:
>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org/spangler.robert
>> %40gma
>> il.com
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Ohio-talk mailing list
>> Ohio-talk at nfbnet.org
>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org
>> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for
> Ohio-talk:
>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org/jtfetter%40yaho
>> o.com
>
> _______________________________________________
> Ohio-talk mailing list
> Ohio-talk at nfbnet.org
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org
> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for
> Ohio-talk:
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org/spangler.robert%40gma
> il.com
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Ohio-talk mailing list
> Ohio-talk at nfbnet.org
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org
> To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for Ohio-talk:
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/ohio-talk_nfbnet.org/jtfetter%40yahoo.com




More information about the Ohio-talk mailing list