[Ohio-talk] Buckeye Update

Eric Duffy peduffy63 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 19:56:03 UTC 2015

National Federation of the Blind of Ohio Buckeye Update
October 30, 2015

Paul Dressell went home from the hospital on Tuesday. He is doing well. He is not optimistic about making it to the convention, but he and Bernie will certainly be with us in spirit. As much as we want Paul and Bernie with us, we know that Paul must take care of his health.

Yesterday I traveled to Dayton to meet with attorneys and advocates to discuss further actions under consideration in our efforts to create accessible bus transportation options for blind people and others with disabilities who want to go to the Dayton mall.
 This was a productive meeting.

I want to thank everyone who called or sent emails to our two senators yesterday. We know of at least five people who contacted the senators. Barbara Pierce made it easy with the information she sent out, so I want to thank her as well.

Richard is going to lead an effort to raise money to assist those who need financial assistance to attend the national convention next year. Please contact him to let him know how you might help. rchpay7 at gmail.com <mailto:rchpay7 at gmail.com>

Here is a special convention door prize announcement. Commtech LLC has given us a door prize with a value of $120.  The winner of this door prize will receive training and technical support during the months of December and January. The offer is only good for those two months. If you need training and support with Apple products, JAWS, WindowEyes,  Windows, with not takers, or a variety of other devices and environments then you will want this door prize. anyone may enter this special drawing. Between now and 11:59 Pm., on November 18, email Barbara Pierce and let her know you want to win the Commtech door prize.  barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com <mailto:barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com>
After November 18 you may give her your name at the convention. Entries are closed at 5:00 PM., on Saturday November 21. The drawing will take place at the banquet, and you must be present to win. I want to thank Gabe Vega of Commtech LLC., for his generosity. Registrations for the convention are still coming in. We need to keep spreading the word and get more of them. I hope Richard is still saving his money to buy the steak dinner for William H.

We are doing all that we can to encourage people to complete the registration process online. If you need help,  Gabe Vega says:  If you need support, on filling out the registration form, or making your online payment, Commtech LLC the web developer of the website, is offering free support for anyone who feels they need in to register for the 2015 Convention online.

Please call (623) 565-9357 and a member of our staff would be glad to assist you through this process. Please take this offer seriously if you need help registering. I have had a few people call me for help, and I have referred them to Gabe immediately.

We will of course still accept registrations by mail and on site. All registrations by mail must be post marked by November 12 in order to qualify for lower rates.

 we are going to have a play Friday night? That's right! the "Not So Royal Shakespeare Company" is going to wow us with a production of "Pyramus and Thisbe".  Come see our Merchants division president, Annette Lutz make her acting debut.

We are going to have a band after the banquet Saturday night. I promise it is not going to be to loud. We want you to plan to join us in a night of music and dancing.

There is still a lot of work to be done to prepare for this convention, but I am excited about the way things are shaping up. This is going to be a great convention.

information

The contact information for the hotel is: Doubletree Hotel  6200 Quarry Lane, Independence, Ohio 44131, phone, (216) 447-1300.

Chapter and Division Presidents, please pay close attention to the following information. The time has passed   to submit your reports for the Gavel Award Competition,  or for nominating  someone for an award. So, if you have not  submitted a report for the competition, You must still submit a report by November 12.

Chapter and division reports, membership lists, and dues must all be in by November 12. After that date any one or all of these items are considered late and the offending chapter or division is subject to a fine of $25 that will be enforced.
Membership lists are coming in slowly. You can do better. Please take this seriously.
Shelbi also needs to know who will represent your chapter on the nominating committee. The members of this committee are appointed by chapter presidents. The president of the affiliate selects the chair from among the members. Please let shelbi know who will represent your chapter as soon as possible. shelbiah1 at gmail.com <mailto:shelbiah1 at gmail.com>

There are going to be some great workshops and some exciting agenda topics, but you the members of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio are who make the convention great. Keep those registrations coming in.  Tell people about who we are, what we do, and why they should be a part of our convention based on your experience. Let's get some new people there. We need to build and grow our Federation family.

The KNFB Reader is now available on the Android platform. You can now   go to nfbohio.org <http://nfbohio.org/>
and register for a special drawing to win A KNFB Reader Package. You will register by contributing $5 which will get your name in the drawing once. this will be the only way you can enter. We will not be selling tickets. You may not enter after November 18. You must be present for the drawing at the banquet. So far Richard has a 50 percent chance of winning. Sherry Ruth is the other possible winner.

I am not making this easy, because we are giving away a valuable software package. We want to do what we can to see that it goes to some one who will really use it, so if you meet all of the above conditions, you must really want the software. Even Richard is eligible to win if he meets all of the conditions.

The convention is getting closer, so keep those registrations coming in. There is plenty of time left to make your plans and to encourage others to come to the convention.

Sherry Ruth says, "Our Malley's  Candy sale  is under weigh, and if your chapter or division would like to receive their flyers to distribute, please send me an email with your address and I will pass it on to them.  babyruth2 at windstream.net <mailto:babyruth2 at windstream.net>
The link to our fund raiser  is on our  website.  This is a good fund raiser for us. Let's make it even better this year. Let's go build the Federation. I will write again next week.