[Ohio-talk] Soup Time Suggestions

mzavoli at roadrunner.com mzavoli at roadrunner.com
Sun Jan 17 22:53:51 UTC 2016

Hi Sheila,

Thank you for that suggestion.

Soup is one of my favorite meals to make, especially now with this cold weather.  A bowl of soup feels like grandma's conforting hug!

  When I make soup, I brown beef, chicken or sausage first, depending on which soup it will be.  Then I saute the onions, carrots, celery, zucchini, asparagus, canned or fresh tomatoes, and other vegetables--whatever I have on hand.  I've put parsnips, leaks, turnips, and brussell sprouts as well.  As you can see, when I make soup, I cook a large pot, usually a 10-quart stock pot. I add water, and Cnorr bouillon cubes as seasoning.

I've always wanted to make broth or stock from scratch, but was worried about skimming off the foam from the top.  Next time I go to the supermarket, I will buy the soup base as you suggested and see how it works, especially the chicken, vegetable, and beef. I will also try Kelsey's suggestion about straining the broth through a cheesecloth once it's cooled.

Thanks again for your reply.
Milena Zavoli