[Ohio-talk] Self Advocacy in Higher Education Toolkit Version 1.0

Jordy Stringer jordystringer83 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 20:02:54 UTC 2016

Salutations Federation family of Ohio-

I hope this message finds you all well. It was so good to connect with so
many of you during the past week at the

Washington Seminar and I look forward to the continued times we'll have to
share together as we build the federation. As we rest up from trudging
through the snow and other obstacles of the past week I wanted to share the
following message and it comes to us from Derek Manners. It is intended for
students, but I thought more than just students could benefit from it, and
it says:

Hello Students,

I'm happy to share that the NFB's Self-Advocacy in Higher Education Toolkit,
Version 1.0, is now live:https://nfb.org/self-advocacy-higher-education.

There's all kinds of good stuff in there. Everything from selecting
colleges, high stakes testing, your legal rights, etc.

President Amy Ruell of Massachusetts shared it with our Commission for the
blind after we asked him what students were told when they called in with
accessibility issues. They indicated that they didn't have any set policy or
guidance in place. Now they have agreed to circulate this to students.

This could be something worth replicating in other states. If you are
interested, talk to your affiliate president about it.

Best regards

Derek Manners.

Jordy D. Stringer, Treasurer, Blind Vision United

Inform, Encourage, Empower

Phone: 317-629-4639

E-mail: jordystringer83 at gmail.com