[Ohio-talk] Air Port assistance again

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Tue May 10 17:16:46 UTC 2016

We took our exchange student, Nika, to the air port to fly home to The
Republic of Georgia today.  It was a very sad parting so I was stressed.
We asked for an escort because we believe Nika needs to continue to work on
independence.  He has made great progress this year.  The man who came to
assist him said it was company policy that he must ride in a wheelchair.
If Nika would not get in the wheelchair the company would be liable if he
tripped an fell.  I did argue with them a little but they were insistant.
The only other option was for Paul to escort him to the gate. We did get a
picture of Nika in the wheelchair. I learned the company that provides the
"wheelchair" service is Air Serv and provides escort service in many
airports where I have traveled without any problems.  I have spoken with an
employee and plan to stay on this until I get an answer.  I have asked for
their assistance policy document and a copy of their insurance that
requires them to only help someone if they are in a wheelchair.  Why
doesn't this happen to me directly?  I will keep you informed.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053