[Ohio-talk] What a convention, my experience and my thanks

Sheri Albers sheri.albers87 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 02:37:47 UTC 2016

Hi Jim,
Welcome home.

Sheri Albers

-----Original Message-----
From: Ohio-Talk [mailto:ohio-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Jim Weiss via Ohio-Talk
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2016 1:58 PM
To: ohio-talk-request at nfbnet.org
Cc: Jim Weiss
Subject: [Ohio-talk] What a convention, my experience and my thanks

Good Monday fellow Federationists,
Wow!, Wow! and Wow! are the first 3 words that I can use to describe this years convention.  As a first time convention attendee I will admit that I had a “low expectation”, but soon after arriving you “raised my expectations”.  This was truly a well orchestrated series of events, assembled by very well organized individuals who happen to share a common denominator of visual impairment.
Once the President’s gavel fell and the convention was underway I learned that there was more than 40 other people who may be experiencing first time convention jitters, I was not fully comprehending in my mind that I was in a room full of blind people… I wasn’t the odd man out.
During the first General Session Dr. Peters’ words truly had a “Positive” affect on me and opened my mind so much wider and helped me to truly absorb everything that I was going to experience over the course of the weekend.  By noon on Friday I had met no fewer than 10 new people and had made plans to go to dinner with fellow Federationists.
On Saturday I made my way to the Exhibition Hall after General Session and was a bit overwhelmed upon first entry, I almost turned around and retreated but quickly reminded myself why I was in attendance.  I reminded myself of the words that Jordy Stringer just led us in saying: “…   blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles… blindness is not what holds you back.” and if I don’t believe these words then I need to just go home.
The Exhibitor’s Hall was bustling with people, but I made my way to the tables that I wanted to visit and was successful in obtaining the information that I desired.
My only regret is I did not attend the banquet on Saturday evening, but I will not make that same mistake again, I promise.
I want to thank my Federation family for welcoming me with open arms and I am already looking forward to seeing everyone next year in Columbus.
I walked away from this convention with a renewed sense of ability and being, “I CAN live the life I want”!  I made a commitment to myself that I will be fluent in Braille by next years convention (I may not be the fastest, but I will be fluent).  To steal some of Dr. Peters’ words I will use my “time” and God given “talent” to expand my “treasure” and refuse to be Braille illiterate any longer.
I personally want to say “Thank you” to everyone who contributed to making this such a wonderful convention and I want you to know that you had a “Positive” impact on my life.  I woke up this morning with a purpose, a real sense of being and a direction in my life.  And next year I honestly hope that I have to request vacation time from my employer in order to attend the 71st NFB State of Ohio Affiliate Convention in Columbus.
God has provided me the “Time” and “Talent” for me to develop my “Treasure” to be the best Federationist I can be and I desire to “Go out and build the Federation”!
Sincerely,
Jim Weiss
Cuyahoga County Chapter
jimweiss72 at icloud.com
216-854-9748
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go…” | Dr. Seuss _______________________________________________
Ohio-Talk mailing list
Ohio-Talk at nfbnet.org