[Ohio-talk] Washington Seminar

richard rchpay7 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 08:35:53 UTC 2016

Greetings fellow federation members, You will find information in the body
of this email about the Washington Seminar and will need to let me know by
December 1  if you wish to attend. I will also need to know what if any of
your own expenses you would be able to afford. You may be considered even if
you cannot afford to pay a good part of your way but it would help if you
could. Below  you will find dates and other general information. Normally we
will arrive on Monday and have meetings set up for the next two days. I will
assign team leads so they will be responsible for making arrangements. I
look to hear from you. Monday, January 30, through Thursday, February 2,
2017Great Gathering-In--Monday, January 30, 2017
Congressional Appointments--January 31 through February 2, 2017
MEETINGS
The Great Gathering-In will begin Monday afternoon at 5:00 p.m. at the
Holiday Inn Capitol (Capitol Ballroom) and will adjourn promptly at 7:00
p.m. The Great Gathering-In serves as our very exciting opening session to
Washington Seminar. The energy in the room is like no other. Over 500
members of the NFB come together to learn about and advocate for legislative
initiatives that will improve the lives of blind Americans. Please join us
to cast off the perception of incapacity that is too often reinforced by bad
public policies that serve to relegate blind Americans to second class
citizenship.
Legislative appointments should be made for Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday
in the Senate and House office buildings. Meetings for NFB members to review
the legislative progress and provide guidance will occur on Tuesday and
Wednesday evening.
PROGRAM
The Washington Seminar is an annual event of the National Federation of the
Blind to introduce the agenda of blind Americans--the priority issues
requiring congressional attention over the coming year. The issues are
selected from official positions of the Federation and may address concerns
in the following areas: relevant civil rights issues; educational programs
and services; rehabilitation of the blind for competitive employment; the
operation of vending facilities by blind persons on public property;
specialized library services for the blind; the organization and funding of
federal programs; Social Security and Supplemental Income programs; and
other timely topics. Approximately three legislative initiatives are chosen
for priority attention during the Washington Seminar.

Richard Payne 937/396/5573