[Ohio-talk] Celebrating the accomplishments of one of our own

Rachel Kuntz rachelrkuntz at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 22:01:42 UTC 2016

Hi All,

I want to share some really wonderful news about Lisa Hall, a member of the
Cincinnati Chapter. On top of her full time responsibilities at Clover nook,
she managed to study and pass the very rigorous UEB certification program
through the NFB. Those who know Lisa know that she is truly gifted at her
job. She once told me that she was part of a team which had to proof the
Medicare annual guidebook. Earning the UEB certification is no easy task so
please join me in acknowledging her success.

Here are a few comments from Lisa as posted to the Cincinnati email list
serv:

On a personal note, I am happy to report that on Monday, October 3, 2016, I
received a letter from the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan
Institute Braille Certification Program that I have successfully passed the
Unified English Braille Proficiency Exam. Since 2004, I have been Braille
Transcriber under the old code of English Braille American Edition otherwise
known as literary Braille in the U.S. Now I will have another credential
added to my certification that I can transcribe any literary material by
following rules and guidelines written in the Unified English Braille
codebooks. Since I work for Clovernook Center for the Blind, I primarily do
braille proofreading in which my responsibility is to be held accountable
for any mistakes made by a transcriber not following rules written. It is
wonderful to have a network of transcribers and proofreaders in this state
and around the country that can provide support when needed. If there is
something we are not knowledgeable in such areas like Nemeth or scientific
notation whether it be computer notation, chemistry notation, music
notation, or textbook formatting, every effort is made to contact National
Braille Association and/or California Transcribers and Educators for the
Blind and Visually Impaired to ask questions when in doubt. There is no such
thing as a stupid question. I can now help others learn the UEB code to
become Braille Proofreaders or Transcribers. To anyone who is blind or
sighted, there is a severe shortage of professionals in this area right now.
This course is rigorous and for those who are still transcribing under the
old code think very seriously about upgrading their skills. There are
numerous ways to learn the new code. I will mention some of the ways to
anyone who is considering doing that. It can be done and it's possible.

Proudly,

Rachel R. Kuntz

Board Member

937.245.0547 cell

 <mailto:rachelrkuntz at gmail.com> rachelrkuntz at gmail.com

 <http://www.nfbohio.org/> www.nfbohio.org

Live the life you want. Blindness is not what holds you back.