[Ohio-talk] Transportation in Cleveland

Kaiti Shelton kaiti.shelton at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 23:04:41 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I'll be graduating from UD in a few weeks (Yay), but before I actually
receive my diploma, I will need to complete an internship.  I've been
working to find a place for the next year since September of last
year, and between having to scratch several promising options off of
my list due to a lack of transportation options in the surrounding
communities and falling short of getting one I really wanted after
completing a huge application and interview process, it's been a bit
disheartening at times.

However, I had a phone interview for an awesome site I've applied to
in Cleveland this afternoon, and have been invited to visit for an
in-person interview and audition.  The in-person part of the
application is the last phase of the application process for this site
and neither it nor the phone interview were guaranteed, so I'm
cautiously optimistic.

This internship will require me to travel around Cleveland in order to
visit all the locations I will be doing sessions at during the work
week.  I know Cleveland RTA has an extensive bus and rail system, plus
para-transit.  I also know there are Oober and Lyft options, and
potentially some hired drivers I could find if needed.  (E.G, in
instances where I need to go across town or the bus routes don't quite
line up for a timely trip).  I was thinking that reaching out to the
local Lions Club chapters might be good for that.  The director seems
very understanding and is already knowledgeable about the
transportation options available to me, as some clients at the
facility use para-transit or take the bus to get there, too.  She was
kind enough to send me the schedule with locations I would visit
throughout the week if I'm selected for the internship as well so I
could troubleshoot and anticipate my transportation needs in advance
of the internship.

I am hoping someone from the area who uses the various transportation
options on a weekly basis would be willing to talk with me so I can
get the inside scoop on how the transportation is in Cleveland.  I've
done a good deal of research online, but it would help to know some
pointers or potential pitfalls to look out for or ask about when I go
for the interview and audition later this month.  I'll primarily be
around the University Circle area, but it looks like I might venture
out to Euclid pretty regularly as well.  Irregular visits to other
sites around Cleveland, such as University Hospitals and other
schools, mental health facilities, and corrections facilities might
also be something I need to plan for.  If selected, I'll move to
Cleveland in August and will be in the internship from late August or
early September till June when the 2017-2018 school year ends.

Any information would be appreciated,
        --
Kaiti Shelton
University of Dayton 2016.