[Ohio-talk] Great News

Kaiti Shelton kaiti.shelton at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 17:59:27 UTC 2017

Hi all,

A while ago I mentioned that I was looking into an internship in Cleveland, and I am pleased to say that I got the position. I will be One of two music therapy interns at The Music Settlement from August of this year through June 2018 to complete my 900 hour internship. I will be on a school-based track at the Euclid early learning center and other schools in the surrounding area, and the other intern will be serving adults on a mental health track.

I'm very excited for this opportunity, and it seems like the staff members I will be working with are very willing and open to providing reasonable accommodations. They even managed to find some braille music for my sight reading test, which was a part of my audition. Coming from the last interview, which made me think that my blindness was what kept me from getting a slot rather than my skills, The audition process went great and I'm looking forward to working there. Now, the challenge is to find affordable housing.

I may be in touch about the internship in the future. I saw Robby's post about testing, and have some similar concerns about the certification exam I will need to take when my internship is done. I will need to have a reader of some sorts there to facilitate the music reading section of the exam, as I have to demonstrate that I know print music since most of my clients will be cited, but aside from having someone there to make tactile representations of musical examples so I can answer the questions, I really don't need a reader or scribe and would like to use a computer. I think part of this has to do with the way companies you specific forms and scoring methods, but I also think that is no excuse and something else needs to be done after the decision about the Barr exam.

Thanks for helping to answer my questions on transportation. I am looking forward to joining the Cleveland folks in August,
Kaiti.