[Ohio-talk] Description of the Alfonso Smith Award

Barbara Pierce bpierce at oberlin.net
Mon Aug 7 21:11:40 UTC 2017

Cheryl Fields asked me to describe the Alfonso Smith Award and provide a brief bio of the an. Here it is:

            The Alfonso Smith Award has been presented by the NFB of Ohio since the 1970’s. Al Smith was an Ohio leader in the 950’s. He came from Youngstown and was active at the state and national levels of the Federation. Mr. Smith was the first African-American  leader in Ohio. He was president for several years and also served on the National Board of Directors. The award is presented to a Federationist for outstanding service to the blind of Ohio and the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio. It is not presented every year but only as often as a leader emerges who, in the minds of the Awards Committee, is worthy of its presentation. People may be nominated by letter to the Awards Committee and sent to Cheryl Fields, Cherylelaine1957 at gmail.com.

Barbara Pierce
President Emerita
Barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com