[Ohio-talk] OOD and braille instruction

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Thu Jan 5 19:24:16 UTC 2017

Does everyone remember that at our state conventions we have been told that
bblind adults do not want to learn braille in Ohio so it is not needed
here? Also, on the rare occasion when someone requests braille the
individual is referred to Hadley. I have been doing some research. I have
learned that when braille is recommended by a rehabilitation teacher OOD
counselors will not provide the service. I have also learned that if
someone wants other training from a vision rehab therapist it is usually
limited to four hours of service. I understand this is in an effort to hold
down costs but this severely limits the ability of a blind adult to learn
skills to live independently. I do not blame the counselors for this but
the people at the top of OOD.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053