[Ohio-talk] Cleveland Chapter News!

Cheryl Fields cherylelaine1957 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 19:43:26 UTC 2017

WOW! Thanks everyone, for the encouragement. It is really important
for the chapter to become extremely involved. Cleveland is rapidly
shifting and changing. It is difficult to use old landmarks to give
directions or find your way around the city anymore. So many public
indoor and outdoor areas and buildings are being renovated, redesigned
and newly constructed. There is a new road that is under construction
now, Opportunity Corridor and many streets, homes and businesses were
demolished to make way for progress, lol! To attempt to navigate this
section of the city is a mobility nightmare. Not many architects,
interior designers, city planners… give the blind community much
consideration. It is assumed that we don’t want to participate or are
unable to use most of these areas. Well, every federationist knows
that this is not true. If we want to zip line, walk in the park,
attend a sporting event, jet ski on Lake Erie, concerts, or go rock
climbing, it is not blindness that holds us back. It is a lack of
understanding of our abilities by others about the blind community. So
it is imperative that we speak for ourselves. Our goal is to develop a
working relationship with city planners and others, prior to the
completion of projects. It will be an uphill journey. However, someone
has to do it! Why not the NFB, it’s what we do the absolute best!
Let’s go build the Federation!

--
Wishing You All the Best,

Cheryl E. Fields