[Ohio-talk] FW: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 03/06/2017

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 01:55:15 UTC 2017

From: President, National Federation of the Blind [mailto:OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org]
Sent: Tuesday, March 7, 2017 8:14 AM
To: President, National Federation of the Blind <OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org>
Subject: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 03/06/2017

President’s Notebook

National Federation of the Blind

Mark A. Riccobono

officeofthepresident at nfb.org <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

(410) 659-9314

Critical Actions This Week:

Scholarship Application Deadline:
March 31 is quickly approaching. Help us make this year's goal of eight hundred applications by reaching out to all the students that you know to encourage them to participate.

News:

KNFB Reader for Microsoft Windows 10:
At CSUN last week, we announced the launch of KNFB Reader for Microsoft Windows 10. Thanks to support from Microsoft, the KNFB Reader was available for an introductory price of $19.99 for a limited time.

Los Angeles Community College Suit:
Along with the NFB of California and two blind students, Roy Payan and Portia Mason, we have filed suit against the Los Angeles Community College District (LACCD) alleging that they have violated the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 by failing to provide accessible instructional materials and other accommodations required by these statutes and needed by these students.

Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards Case:
We are also assisting Kristen Steele in her lawsuit against the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB), which has denied her request to take its examination in Braille. Ms. Steele seeks to become a licensed massage therapist in Iowa and Nebraska, both of which require passing the exam in order to receive a license. Strangely, the FSMTB claims that Braille would somehow provide her with an unfair advantage.

Pearson Career Exploration Mentorship Program:
Pearson announced a new career exploration mentorship program in collaboration with the NFB. The program is for college students and recent graduates with disabilities. The pilot program will combine our expertise in mentoring and advocating for career opportunities for blind and low-vision students with Pearson’s commitment to providing mentorship to a wide range of students with disabilities.

Reminders:

Convention Preregistration Is Open:
You can now preregister at http://lx-web.nfb.org/convention/preregistration.php.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

*	March 23, 2017: eBooks and EPUB accessibility event <https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6317&qid=1522699>
*	March 30-31, 2017: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium <http://nfb.org/law-symposium>
*	March 31, 2017: Deadline for scholarship applications <http://www.nfb.org/scholarships>
*	April 15, 2017: Deadline for Jacob Bolotin Award applications <https://nfb.org/bolotin-award-main>
*	May 1, 2017: Deadline for Distinguished Educator of Blind Students Award <https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/distinguished-educator-of-blind-students-award-form-fillable.pdf>
*	June 4, 2017: 6K Dot Dash <https://nfb.org/dot-dash>
*	July 10-15, 2017:  <https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm16/bm1611/bm161101.htm> National Convention, Rosen Shingle Creek Resort, Orlando, Florida
*	July 23-29, 2017:  <http://www.blindscience.org/nfb-youth-slam> Youth Slam, Towson University
*	September 12-17, 2017:  <http://blindmerchants.org/blast-2017/> BLAST, Nashville, Tennessee

Mark A. Riccobono

President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314 | officeofthepresident at nfb.org <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

 <https://nfb.org/>

                          <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>      <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>      <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>