[Ohio-talk] Questions About Flying

Robert Spangler spangler.robert at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 04:31:03 UTC 2017

Hello everyone:

I am looking for input from those of you who are experienced with flying.  I
just returned from CSUN where I had a great time!  The flying experience was
OK, but a few things occurred which made me think that I should ask you all
for some advice.

First, what's with the wheelchairs?  Anyone who has a disability is flagged
as a wheelchair passenger.  They always wanted to stuff me in a wheelchair,
which I steadfastly refused.  I do prefer to go sighted guide through
airports, largely due to their busy atmosphere and my lack of familiarity.
Is this ill-advised?  Should I be attempting to navigate airports without
their assistance?  It almost seems like it would be better to some extent,
but I really just want to get through as quickly as possible.

During one instance, two assistants refused to help me when I turned down
the wheelchair, so they had to call a supervisor.  He guided me to the
bathroom, to get some food then to my next gate.  When I commented on how
fast it went without a wheelchair, the guy agreed.

They always wanted me to preboard.  I know this isn't necessary, but it
seemed rude to refuse so I just went when they came to help me.  There was
one time, however, when they did not come and I just boarded with everyone
else when they called my group number.  As a side note, I always preboard
Greyhound buses, just because I'm afraid of pissing off the bus driver,
which has happened before.  Oh OK and yes I do like it when I get an entire
seat to myself, I must admit.

I seem to recall someone talking about a method for retrieving luggage in
the NFB
literature somewhere, but I can't recall where it was.  I would be
interested in reading any literature about flying with regards to being
blind.  Honestly, at this point I view flying as a necessary burden.  Maybe
you guys can share some tips that will make it easier in the future.  I am
always open to new ideas which will help to increase my independence.  Plus,
my sister and I are both coming to national convention this year and we both
agreed that we are not going to be forced to be pushed around in
wheelchairs.

Thanks,
Robby

--
Robert Spangler
Secretary, Miami Valley Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of
Spangler.robert at gmail.com