[Ohio-talk] Questions About Flying

barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com barbara.pierce9366 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 13:30:46 UTC 2017

Welcome to the battle field. It has been some tine since I have had a real battle over the wheelchair. If you refuse firmly, they usually abandon that idea. If you have enough time before your flight to make enquiries, that is often the least frustrating way to get to your gate. You often come across a passenger going your way in the concourse who is  happy to read gate numbers to you. But if you want assistance, it is there for the taking as long as you remember to tip. As for pre-boarding, if I have a seat assignment, I just board with the passengers. You just courteously refuse to pre-board.- As you walk back in the cabin, you can put your hand on a seat back and ask out loud, “What row is this?” Some one always answers. Remember that seats A,B, and C are on your right as you walk back, and D, E, and F are on the left. I do pre-board on Southwest because the test seems to be you should pre-board if you need a little extra time, which I do if the seats are filling up, and I can’t tell where an empty seat is. I Think it is better for them and for me to go on while it is empty so that I am not clogging the isle. This has the added benefit of making it likely that I can store my suitcase above my head, where I can find it easily.

As for retrieving luggage, I stand beside the carousel with my cane on it so that I can feel cases that go by. I lean over and touch each case that I find. Usually someone beside me asks what color my case is and warns me when such a case is coming toward me. It is quite easy.

Hope this helps,
Barbara
Barbara Pierce
President Emerita